Car Trackers

m4nn13

Anyone advise on a good car tracker compatible with i guess android or windows (no fruit here) Looking for under £100 if possible, seen a couple on ebay but not sure if they are any good and not looking to spend £300 like some of the ones you can get from car/wagon fleet suppliers.

buy the cheapest android phone possible, wire it in to charge when you're driving and have location services on, hide it in the space under the carpet in the cubby behind the passenger seat. Log on to google and you can see where it is, not insurance approved, but cheap and effective if you hide it somewhere safe.

• Like 2

I was £300 to get a decent tracker installed (cobra, now Vodafone automotive) and a subsequent £200 a year to pay for the monitoring contract. To be fair, whenever I've taken the battery off to perform maintenance the phone has rang straight way for them to tell me the power to the tracker has been removed, so they are Johnny on the spot.

It's not just piece of mind though, my insurance requires me to have it - if you're only interested in having one for the off chance that someone nicks your car (or gf borrows it), the android phone mod is a decent one, but there are £30 eBay options that you only need a SIM card to operate it.

• Like 2

I've got the ultimate car tracker built into mine, even comes with a phone car app that shows you on Google Maps where the car is, how fast its going and direction of travel. If your the untrustworthy type makes spying on your other half quite easy... But the phone app can be installed on multiple devices so works both ways :).

33867252346_f68ff6a98a_z_d.jpg

On one of my motorbike forums, the guys there have had a lot of success with £30 ebay trackers on their bikes. Just stick a payg sim in and off you go. The ones they had can either be hard wired, or just run off batteries. Batteries last 2 months.

My 997 turbo came with a built in tracker from the dealer, but theres a yearly subscription and plus you have to decide that should some low-life steal your car and give it a mega thrashing, do you really want the car back? None of the insurance companies I asked even mentioned requiring a tracker so it was entirely upto me if I bothered enabling it or not.

Whats the point of a tracker? Is it to find your smashed up pride and joy after its been rallied......

I have a tracker, however often get asked the question. Would you want it back after an event?

No but i'd like to give the authorities a fighting chance to find it and prosecute the thief

I use Cobra / Vodafone tracker on my GTR, it came factory fitted, just paying subscription every year.

I have one of these which I bought for the drone, but never had time to use it, drone is now sold :lol:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRACKIMO-Universal-Tracking-GPS-Device/dp/B00QSHHH0A

https://trackimo.com

Could be good for tracking the car, app, lots of features etc.

Whats the point of a tracker? Is it to find your smashed up pride and joy after its been rallied......

I have a tracker, however often get asked the question. Would you want it back after an event?

As others have stated, to have a fighting chance of catching the scumbugs who took the car. But also for me to monitor the cars movements when in the garage for servicing etc due to the amount of times you see people posting videos online nowadays where 'mechanics' have taken your pride and joy out for a blast "to see what it'll do". I like to think I'm quite laid back, and if anyone (most people 😉) asked me to have a go in my car I'd let them (supervised of course 😄). I do not take kindly to some dickhead 'mechanic' taking my car and thrashing it without my knowledge.

• Like 1

Should think a tracker will also provide decent evidence should your license plate be cloned.

Hard to get a speeding ticket in X if you can prove your car was parked in Y at the time.

I thought frackers weren't constantly logging, it will take an event such as a call to the tracking company or the alarm going off for it to send its location so if I'm right then proving you weren't somewhere retrospectively would be difficult same with the cheap android PAYG type solution, it sends a text back with its location when you ask it.

Yeah I think the cheap ebay jobs wont track your car 'always on' but more just ping a location when asked? But for 10 quid plus the PAYG sim its a bit of a no brainer to put one in? Especially if like me sometimes you lose it in big car parks :lol:

• Like 3

Yeah I think the cheap ebay jobs wont track your car 'always on' but more just ping a location when asked? But for 10 quid plus the PAYG sim its a bit of a no brainer to put one in? Especially if like me sometimes you lose it in big car parks :lol:

Yep handy unless you're parked in a 10 story NCP or below ground :lol: