Car Trackers

m4nn13

I always take a picture of it with the big number thing somewhere in the background. At least then I have a rough idea where it is. Although depending on the holiday if I take 1000 pictures it can be hard to find again :lol:

Yeah I think the cheap ebay jobs wont track your car 'always on' but more just ping a location when asked? But for 10 quid plus the PAYG sim its a bit of a no brainer to put one in? Especially if like me sometimes you lose it in big car parks :lol:

You can set it up to send regular tracking texts but it will use up you credit pretty quick

I thought frackers weren't constantly logging, it will take an event such as a call to the tracking company or the alarm going off for it to send its location so if I'm right then proving you weren't somewhere retrospectively would be difficult same with the cheap android PAYG type solution, it sends a text back with its location when you ask it.

Would depend how you set it up.

Custom android jobby could do just about anything you can think of.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

I thought frackers weren't constantly logging, it will take an event such as a call to the tracking company or the alarm going off for it to send its location so if I'm right then proving you weren't somewhere retrospectively would be difficult same with the cheap android PAYG type solution, it sends a text back with its location when you ask it.

Would depend how you set it up.

Custom android jobby could do just about anything you can think of.

That's a very good point :thumbs:

I'd just assumed you could 'ping' it for a location but I suspect anything other than that would use credit BUT could meet requirements :)

That's a very good point :thumbs:

I'd just assumed you could 'ping' it for a location but I suspect anything other than that would use credit BUT could meet requirements :)

Best way would just be to have it log data to a text file every X minutes / hours and then send you the data / files / lines on request or at set intervals.

Thousands of lines would still be <1MB, and with Three's 321 plans, 1 MB = 1p.

Or there are a few free sims with free data.

I was £300 to get a decent tracker installed (cobra, now Vodafone automotive) and a subsequent £200 a year to pay for the monitoring contract. To be fair, whenever I've taken the battery off to perform maintenance the phone has rang straight way for them to tell me the power to the tracker has been removed, so they are Johnny on the spot.

It's not just piece of mind though, my insurance requires me to have it - if you're only interested in having one for the off chance that someone nicks your car (or gf borrows it), the android phone mod is a decent one, but there are £30 eBay options that you only need a SIM card to operate it.

Johnny on the spot.

Now there's a wartime America phrase!