Kilimanjaro

Ekona

Anyone climbed it before? Anyone want to?

Quite fancy doing this next year instead of going to LM again, been looking at costs and if you cba to get sponsored it's about £3k all in, including gear. Looks challenging enoug to feel like an accomplishment but not so hard you'd get out there and likely fail.

Any hints? Or anyone fancy joining me?

Nothing ever went wrong climbing a mountain, ever. Lol. 6 years ago I'd have been all for it. Now I have a couple of mini terrorists, I won't be taking any risks with my life for a few years. You got kids Dan?

Not done that but when I was in Ecuador I visited Chimborazo (fun fact, it is the part of the earth's surface farthest from its centre, even further from the centre than the top of Everest!) we got a bus to the camp at 4800m/15,748ft and walked up toward the next camp at 5050m/16568ft. Only a small rise in elevation yeah???

This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, the air never ever is thick enough to breathe. Even sitting down it takes ages to catch it. You walk a short distance, then stop and breathe. Repeat. I'm no fitness pervert but altitude doesn't care. Some people can make red, oxygen carrying blood cells, more quickly than others. It's a body thing, not a "I did 500 reps in the gym thing".. I saw really healthy, quinoa and lentil types having to get on oxygen whilst we sat and had a beer and a fag.

The moral or this ramble, don't do this sort of thing lightly and do get some experience at altitude if you can, because it's not to be trifled with and severe altitude sickness can cause real problems quickly, and dump all over your plans.

All that said, do it!

• Like 1

Altitude sickness stops some people. One of my mates attempted it but got medivac'd off... serious cases can be fatal - your lungs fill with fluid and you basically drown :-/

Kili is 19000ft. I did 13800ft in South America and that was bad enough... the air is noticeably thinner in viscosity and I didn't sleep well at all above ~8000ft or so.

Like others have said it carries very real dangers and I some cases can be fatal

I can't remember the name of the company that we did it with

I can't find out if you want

But they were just amazing from start to finish and took care of everyone in the group 100% from start to finish

And when you wake one morning half way up to find a veiw like this

It's kind of humbling :)

FB_IMG_1489954115903_zpsbu6wvj0e.jpg

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1

I hear smokers have an easier time of oxygen thinness,not sure how true it is. Id be up for it but convincing the SO to part with 3k would be difficult. It takes 1 month run up for a night out with the lads lol.

I hear smokers have an easier time of oxygen thinness,not sure how true it is. Id be up for it but convincing the SO to part with 3k would be difficult. It takes 1 month run up for a night out with the lads lol.

If your spending 3k on a night out it must be some night :lol:

• Like 1

Not done that but when I was in Ecuador I visited Chimborazo (fun fact, it is the part of the earth's surface farthest from its centre, even further from the centre than the top of Everest!) we got a bus to the camp at 4800m/15,748ft and walked up toward the next camp at 5050m/16568ft. Only a small rise in elevation yeah???

This is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, the air never ever is thick enough to breathe. Even sitting down it takes ages to catch it. You walk a short distance, then stop and breathe. Repeat. I'm no fitness pervert but altitude doesn't care. Some people can make red, oxygen carrying blood cells, more quickly than others. It's a body thing, not a "I did 500 reps in the gym thing".. I saw really healthy, quinoa and lentil types having to get on oxygen whilst we sat and had a beer and a fag.

The moral or this ramble, don't do this sort of thing lightly and do get some experience at altitude if you can, because it's not to be trifled with and severe altitude sickness can cause real problems quickly, and dump all over your plans.

All that said, do it!

Anabolics increase red blood cell production vastly. Raul Moat could have hidden atop Killimanjaro indefinitely.

• Like 2

All that said, do it!

Anabolics increase red blood cell production vastly. Raul Moat could have hidden atop Killimanjaro indefinitely.

I just stuck with munching coca leaves to relieve the symptoms.

• Like 1

No kids here, just fur babies, so would like to get it out of the way before I can no longer justify adventures.

Definitely not something I take lightly, and I would build up to it properly by doing weekend hikes etc up Ben Nevis/ whatever is appropriate. I want to push my body, and since it's not that long ago that I could barely walk for more than 25m without suffering I'd like to carry on with enjoying what I have.

I've been thinking about it for the last couple of years, but next year seems a good time.

Definitely. I have been asking my friends to do this and other once in a lifetime adventures buy they're busy changing nappies.

I've looked into it a lot.

I already have one of my friends up for it as he's the action/go getter type, so if you want to come with then please do mate. I can set up a group somewhere and we csmstart serious chats about it never too early to arrange I reckon.

Definitely. I have been asking my friends to do this and other once in a lifetime adventures buy they're busy changing nappies.

I've looked into it a lot.

I already have one of my friends up for it as he's the action/go getter type, so if you want to come with then please do mate. I can set up a group somewhere and we csmstart serious chats about it never too early to arrange I reckon.

Sure, sign me up.

I love a good adventure. I don't understand people who are happy to stay in blighty and hit the pub Friday to Sunday and want nothing more. To me that's just slowly dying. Not living.

• Like 3

Go for it Dan, you won't regret it. As above though don't underestimate the importance of a handy bottle of O2 - when living in Japan I walked up Fuji which is not as high as Killi at 'just' 12,500 feet I think it was but still about three quarters of the way up I had about two hours of bad dizziness that forced me to stop and I thought I was going back down again. Physically its tough but its the lack of oxygen that makes you feel sick, lose coordination etc. that is the thing that drains you. We literally got about 100m from the top when the sunrise came up so (stupidly now thinking about it!) jumped off the trail and found a nice spot to take it all in.

Anyway to inspire you...

View from my apartment in Tokyo every morning that made me have to do it

224115_4940877124_3288_n.jpg?oh=27d610da5a5aaad5857749dba09927dd&oe=5966A759

3000m and in absolute fine fettle - stick is absolute requirement!

223207_5329602124_4542_n.jpg?oh=0b972c0cd984b0e8972c24e12602290d&oe=59734C65

The tour group we were trying to evade for the sunrise!

222872_5329627124_6169_n.jpg?oh=c171272e78195f7427ba20a2dc485d11&oe=596CD576

On the way down...trying to look cool, was feeling rotten though, sick, headache, but awesome :lol:

228692_5329617124_5534_n.jpg?oh=0b0c8bc4257fdb858195dc2295d13f02&oe=596A9D03

I think when you have a moment like this Dan where you think of something - just book it, then its there and in the calendar!

• Like 2

Altitude is a funny old thing, some people are completely unaffected while others get quite seriously ill. You'll notice the lack of oxygen for definite, but if you take it steady and drink lots of water it isn't too bad. We went on honeymoon to Peru and Ecuador last year and we were rarely below about 2700m. Our hotel in Cusco was 3500 so we acclimatised fairly quickly. The highest we got was about 4700m when we climbed a volcano which is just outside of Quito. It's not as high or as hard as Killi, but still higher than Mt. Blanc.

Sounds like an awesome thing to do! :thumbs:

Kilimanjaro is some spot. Largest free standing mountain in the world. I've been to it, but never attempted to climb it. If you were to attempt it, I would suggest taking in a few of the national parks around it, especially Amboseli, Masai Mara/Serengeti and Ngorogoro.

Got these snaps when flying from the coast to the Mara. Not the snow capped delight it once was on the equator, unfortunately.

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

Great snaps guys, thanks! :D

I mean, if anyone else would maybe be interested in this next year then speak up, doesn't hold you to anything and a nice group car trip could be the ultimate non road trip :)

I feel like, by saying it out that, that I've mentally committed myself. I WILL do this, not just try, but I WILL achieve it. I'm still young enough-ish that my body can take it, and I just want to do something different. Something that takes as much will power as anything. And, as those that were here four years again when I did my drive to Gibraltar in the 911 May remember, I've had my own demons with mountains before it would be nice to stick two fingers up at :)

I would love to come but I don't think I have the time and I've had my share of adventures :lol:

Mind you if you need someone to keep an eye on you kit back at the hotel while your away I might be up for that ;):lol:

EDIT: O and I'm to old and out of shape these days

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1