Exhaust Spacer Mod?

Strudul

Surely a hole in the exhaust under the car, which bypasses the backbox, has no mid pipe resonator etc., will not accurately reflect the sound of a complete exhaust system? Yes it will be louder, but you will have absolutely no way of then applying that knowledge to the purchasing of an exhaust system. The drone characteristic, loudness, rasp, pitch, tone, will all be completely different. How do you use your new knowledge to help you purchase an exhaust?

• Like 1

Surely a hole in the exhaust under the car, which bypasses the backbox, has no mid pipe resonator etc., will not accurately reflect the sound of a complete exhaust system? Yes it will be louder, but you will have absolutely no way of then applying that knowledge to the purchasing of an exhaust system. The drone characteristic, loudness, rasp, pitch, tone, will all be completely different. How do you use your new knowledge to help you purchase an exhaust?

I'm aware of this (as mentioned in the OP), but it sounds like the closest you can get... It won't determine which aftermarket exhaust to get, but will help decide if it's something I want to pursue at all.

Ignoring the fact its an exhaust leak and done by some kid, can you honestly say it doesn't sound 1) good and 2) like an aftermarket exhaust?

Edited by Strudul

No. I can honestly say it sounds complete garbage and is probably the dumbest thing ive ever come across. Sounds nothing remotely like any aftermarket exhaust I've heard and I cant believe you're actually considering this.

Thats enough internet for one day.

• Like 4

I think my ebay exhaust for $234 is honestly better value than this mod, my honest opinion. I just wouldn't do anything to my car that was a step backward in terms of performance or efficiency for more noise, setting aside the dangers, perceived or otherwise. The remaining $233 compared to the cost of this mod, for a true dual cat back, a known nice sound and peace of mind that I'm definitely not making my car worse or endangering anything or anyone...yeh, worth it. I'd even call that constructive. :)

• Like 1

No. I can honestly say it sounds complete garbage and is probably the dumbest thing ive ever come across. Sounds nothing remotely like any aftermarket exhaust I've heard and I cant believe you're actually considering this.

Thats enough internet for one day.

^^ Plus one. ;)

I'm no audiophile, but it sounds pretty similar to a Cobra to me (minus the crackles)...

It really doesn't. :dry::lol:

Strudul reading through this thread lots of people with a lot more experience of 350 Zeds have given you their opinions on why this is a stupid idea. You're choosing not to listen to them and instead arguing with them over why they think it's a bad idea & you think it's a good one.

At the end of the day it's your car so modify it however you like but just don't expect the majority to agree with you that it's a good mod when you take the plenum chamber off your Zed to make it louder or equally ridiculous mods. No offence.

• Like 1

My favourite bit is using his leg to brace his cardboard pipe when cutting it :lol: .

I really wanted natural selection to kick in there, and take his leg off. The things people do amaze me, for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by Olly350z
  • Like 3

The perfect thread for, if you dont like the answer, dont ask the question and if you honestly cannot differentiate between what an exhaust routed through straight through silencers and a blowing exhaust sounds like, its no wonder you dont hear (excuse the pun) what we are saying and to think you have stumbled on the holy grail of avoiding buying £600 plus stainless systems for the sake of some "washers" well we might as well lock the thread now, nothing more to see here :)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 2

As I said earlier, you'll lose power as I experienced when mine broke, but also, it'll run lean. It will probably be fine running for a few days, but not more. I recently had a leak, many many many times smaller than what you're proposing and the AFR on was off the scale. Usually it'll run around 14-15, but the right bank wasn't even measurable by the gauges, it was that high. I removed the Y pipe and replaced the gaskets and added sealant which has 90% fixed the issue and brought the AFR back to a decent reading, but still not perfect. I can only imagine what it was before on my old Zed with the blow out.

Even though the intentional destruction of the exhaust is after the cats, there is still a massive amount of carbon monoxide passing through.

It's a question of whether it can actually enter the cabin through normal driving though. Most of it will disperse into the air anyway and (from watching a few vids) most of the exhaust still comes out the back.

Yes it can. Recently had the tiniest of blows between a decat n y pipe. At traffic lights within seconds you could smell the fumes through the transmission tunnel. Got it sorted after a week. But couldn't drive it due to headaches and nausea it caused. My wife & dad also noticed it.

I know a decat with increase fumes etc but still lol

Man it's you health.... why risk it?

Edited by da.murf
  • Like 1

As I said earlier, you'll lose power as I experienced when mine broke, but also, it'll run lean. It will probably be fine running for a few days, but not more. I recently had a leak, many many many times smaller than what you're proposing and the AFR on was off the scale. Usually it'll run around 14-15, but the right bank wasn't even measurable by the gauges, it was that high. I removed the Y pipe and replaced the gaskets and added sealant which has 90% fixed the issue and brought the AFR back to a decent reading, but still not perfect. I can only imagine what it was before on my old Zed with the blow out.

Kyle,

In my last MOT the testers could barely get a reading off my exhaust, and now I'm getting a o2 sensor CEL. Do you think that means I'm running lean, and could the two be related? How would you fix running lean? Cheers!

Kyle,

In my last MOT the testers could barely get a reading off my exhaust, and now I'm getting a o2 sensor CEL. Do you think that means I'm running lean, and could the two be related? How would you fix running lean? Cheers!

Honestly no idea mate. Did the tester mention it, or did you just notice it on the screen or printout?

Kyle,

Honestly no idea mate. Did the tester mention it, or did you just notice it on the screen or printout?

They were standing around scratching their heads for ages during the test, a bunch of testers came over and were all looking at the car and the reader. They asked me to hold it at higher revs for a while and then finally moved on. I asked what was up, and they said they just struggled to get any reading. I asked if it was a problem and he just shrugged.

Kyle,

They were standing around scratching their heads for ages during the test, a bunch of testers came over and were all looking at the car and the reader. They asked me to hold it at higher revs for a while and then finally moved on. I asked what was up, and they said they just struggled to get any reading. I asked if it was a problem and he just shrugged.

:lol: I know my reading was very low, especially low for decats, but nothing was mentioned of it :shrug: If the car isn't sounding strange and/or you haven't fitted a load of breather mods like cone filters and plenum spacers, it shouldn't be running lean. I'm not sure if the possible faulty sensor could cause it to run lean or not. Have you figured out which one it is yet?

Ok so I've been ignoring this post but it just won't go away so I'll have my say

1) Exhaust gas coming out underneath the car where it may find it's way into the cabin is bad full stop

2) If you're tone deaf or like corsa's with huge dustbin sized exhausts you may think it sounds good in which case I recommend a hearing test

3) If you just want loud and don't care what it sounds like to me that's like thinking that drinking meths is the same as drinking brandy also see 2 above

4) it will not pass an MOT

5)All exhausts sound different they are tuned differently what you are doing is pointless it will give you no indication what any other exhaust will sound like

:)

• Like 1

Kyle,

:lol: I know my reading was very low, especially low for decats, but nothing was mentioned of it :shrug: If the car isn't sounding strange and/or you haven't fitted a load of breather mods like cone filters and plenum spacers, it shouldn't be running lean. I'm not sure if the possible faulty sensor could cause it to run lean or not. Have you figured out which one it is yet?

You were able to pass an MOT with test pipes?

Running japspeed HFCs and full japspeed exhaust, but no ECU light yet (touch wood). Be interesting to know if im running lean or not. Really need to fit the plenum spacer and get it mapped

Very interesting thread this one :lol:

How did you find the Japspeed HFC's? I've got a Cobra Resonated with a Japspeed Y Pipe and wanting to add a bit more sound without having mot trouble with decats!

In your opinion, would the HFCs be noticeable and worth the money?

Thanks!

Kyle,

Yea, flawlessly passed emissions.

Kyle,

Yea, flawlessly passed emissions.

In that case I'm off to throw my cats in the bin haha What test pipes do you have?

Running japspeed HFCs and full japspeed exhaust, but no ECU light yet (touch wood). Be interesting to know if im running lean or not. Really need to fit the plenum spacer and get it mapped

How did you find the Japspeed HFC's? I've got a Cobra Resonated with a Japspeed Y Pipe and wanting to add a bit more sound without having mot trouble with decats!

Thanks!

The HFCs will make it noticeable louder, nearly decat levels. You may get through MOTs with them but it entirely depends on how hot you get them. Honestly i wish I'd waited a bit and gotten BERK highflow cats, they have an extra chamber built in to deal with rasp. That's the biggest con so far is how raspy its become while booting it

Thanks!

The HFCs will make it noticeable louder, nearly decat levels. You may get through MOTs with them but it entirely depends on how hot you get them. Honestly i wish I'd waited a bit and gotten BERK highflow cats, they have an extra chamber built in to deal with rasp. That's the biggest con so far is how raspy its become while booting it

I Know it's a bit off topic, thanks. Will look out for some Berks as lots of people recommend them, interesting to hear about the Japspeed though :thumbs: .

Thanks!

Not Berks, ARK have the resonation chamber :thumbs:

• Like 1

In that case I'm off to throw my cats in the bin haha What test pipes do you have?

They're Japspeed, but all decats are the same, they're either silenced or not silenced, mine aren't.