Exhaust Spacer Mod?

Strudul

And there are plenty of people / forums that flame people for buying reps rather than the proper thing.... :lol:

I'm all for paying where it counts... Tyres, oils, brake components, but pay a grand for steel piping that cost 150 bucks to make? No thanks. :) The haters can flame on, wait til they get me started about the prices charged by premium brands. :)

OK mate, in a nut shell, short term there will be no harm to the car, it may run a little rough due to back pressure and let in air throwing out your hydrocarbon figure. It will sound different, but not like a aftermarket system. I wouldnt advise running it for longer than a couple of days due to corrosion build up. Dan is dead right, listen to a load of actual systems, im sure youd be welcome along in anyones passenger seat to get a real life experience. Is that a bit more helpful than being roasted? :p

There is no pro to having an exhaust leak, but many cons.

That's possibly the most retarded 'mod' I've ever seen on here.

Want to explain how having a better sounding exhaust isn't a pro?

Or maybe give some evidence to prove that any of the cons are actually noticeable and not just theoretical BS?

Because it's a ******* exhaust leak! You cannot genuinely need explaining why a leak at the exhaust is Not A Good Idea At All.

You're p*ssing hot exhaust gases over components that aren't supposed to have them, any idiot can see that's a terrible thing to do. No exhaust will ever sound the exact same as a sodding leak, neither will you ever be able to replicate that tone, so why bother? It has no purpose whatsoever.

There are a billionty different exhaust for the Zed out there, and I guarantee you one of them will meet your tone/noise/looks demands. You're not trying anything big or clever by this, it's the kind of thing I'd expect a 17 year old to do on his first Corsa.

Get out there, listen to a few different exhausts on a meet, and pick one. There's plenty out there for £600 already that are quality.

As far as i can see you have a choice of either crapspeed,cobra, or scorpion for sub £600. Unless theres more im not aware of ( please feel free to enlighten us) that hardly constitutes plenty.

you're all wasting your time, I'm doing this daft thing regardless of what you all tell me and I don't know why I even posted this thread in the first place.

Might just be me but that's all I read from this thread.

Also I await the "it's not like that at all... but here's why I'm ignoring the advice and doing it anyway" retort. ;)

• Like 2

My HKS replica cost me about 190 quid off ebay US brand new. Even after delivery and import duties, I had it on the car for a total of about 350 quid. A true dual cat back system with sexy burnt tips. I don't know why it's so cheap, I expect it might rust if it gets wet, and the polish isn't the same as a premium product, but I don't take my car out in the rain and we don't get much here anyway, so I'm not fussed about that. Besides, even if it it did only last 3 or four years in the soggy UK climate, it's still a bargain for the price, and you can still just keep getting it welded up. The sound isn't as refined as others like the ARC of course, but everyone who's heard it loves it, I like it, I'm genuinely thrilled with it for the money. It fitted perfectly out of the box and for me it has a very nice (almost stock silent) character at village speeds and really roars when you step on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301952892888

Is this the same as the japspeed k4?

Any sound clips?

OK mate, in a nut shell, short term there will be no harm to the car, it may run a little rough due to back pressure and let in air throwing out your hydrocarbon figure. It will sound different, but not like a aftermarket system. I wouldnt advise running it for longer than a couple of days due to corrosion build up. Dan is dead right, listen to a load of actual systems, im sure youd be welcome along in anyones passenger seat to get a real life experience. Is that a bit more helpful than being roasted? :p

Kinda, but it's not telling me anything I didn't already know :lol:

I'd rather a roasting if it's constructive, but so far it's just "it's stupid because I said so" and some potential problems that I already know about but with nothing to back up whether they actually will occur.

It's not identical to the Japspeed K4, there are subtle differences, but it is based on the same design for sure and its basically the same thing. I'll do some sound clips soon, but don't hold your breath, maybe next week. I do plan on posting a review of this exhaust on the forum but I need to use it a bit first, my car doesn't go out much. I'll try to remember to let you know or update this thread when I do. Out of all the shitbox ebay brands, D-Spec is one of the better ones.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

you're all wasting your time, I'm doing this daft thing regardless of what you all tell me and I don't know why I even posted this thread in the first place.

Might just be me but that's all I read from this thread.

Also I await the "it's not like that at all... but here's why I'm ignoring the advice and doing it anyway" retort. ;)

Well I can't disappoint then can I :bleh:

Honestly, I'm just curious and would like some proper answers and conclusive evidence. The question has only really been asked on notoriously "flamey" forums, so I thought there might be a better chance of getting a decent answer here, but apparently not :lol:

It's still only a potential, I'm not set on doing it, and I welcome anyone to convince me not to, but calling it stupid without explaining why isn't gonna achieve that. It's just a load of ignorance and speculation...

If I do go ahead with it, and it melts something, or I have serious performance issues, or I get CO poisoning, then I will happily come back, detail the problems, and let you all know that you were right.

But similarly, if it sounds louder without any noticeable downsides, then as far as I'm concerned it will have been a success and I'll be accepting your full written apologies ;)

• Like 1

I can give you a print out out what an exhaust leak does to the hydrocarbons, its not just the gases leaking out but air going back in, which can trigger the eml and potentially put her limp home mode. But its all undoable when youve run your experiment

I can give you a print out out what an exhaust leak does to the hydrocarbons, its not just the gases leaking out but air going back in, which can trigger the eml and potentially put her limp home mode. But its all undoable when youve run your experiment

What would help more so is an explanation of how the air goes back in. What stops it going back in normally? There's still a hole, it's just at the end, all it does is move the end forward...

And doesn't the exhaust pressure pushing back stop the air from going in (the same was you can light a gas tap and the fire doesn't spread through and cause the tank to explode).

The leak is so close to the exhaust tips that I can't see how it would cause any drastic problems.

Edited by Strudul

No apologies to be given haha. You've asked a question, and some answers have been given which you do not agree with. Thats the way talking about things works! Also to read that those of us who disagree are ignorant and spreading speculation... REALLY dude. Youve been given plenty of reasons not to do it, yet are ignoring them. Recuring theme here.

Be grateful this isnt CivicLife back in the day. You'd of been spit roasted alive and never forgotten about it.

No apologies to be given haha. You've asked a question, and some answers have been given which you do not agree with. Thats the way talking about things works! Also to read that those of us who disagree are ignorant and spreading speculation... REALLY dude. Youve been given plenty of reasons not to do it, yet are ignoring them. Recuring theme here.

Be grateful this isnt CivicLife back in the day. You'd of been spit roasted alive and never forgotten about it.

Wasn't being serious about that :lol:

I gave the exact same reasons not to do it in the OP, nobody has actually added anything I didn't already know or given any evidence of them being a cause for concern.

I'm not claiming I know better or that you are all wrong, I'm just saying that nobody actually seems to know, everyone is just making assumptions. If you don't know the answer for definite, then by definition it's ignorance (lack of knowledge) and speculation (a theory without firm evidence). It's not meant as an insult, just an observation...

Is it a good idea, probably not, but if nobody can prove that it's a bad idea, I don't see the harm in trying it...

Edited by Strudul

Air can go back in through the end, if you fit a HUUUUGGGEEEEE tail pipe air will go back in and throw out the hydrocarbon reading. Ive seen mot testers stuff a rag in the end before to get it through the emissions. On an mot a combination of eml, major exhaust leak and high hydrocarbon count can be fixed by sorting out the exhaust

• Like 1

Air can go back in through the end, if you fit a HUUUUGGGEEEEE tail pipe air will go back in and throw out the hydrocarbon reading. Ive seen mot testers stuff a rag in the end before to get it through the emissions. On an mot a combination of eml, major exhaust leak and high hydrocarbon count can be fixed by sorting out the exhaust

Wouldn't a 1/8" gap be a much smaller hole than your exhaust tip and therefore the chance of air going back through be minimal?

Smaller hole will actually do the opposite as it'll have a venturi effect as you lift off the throttle.

As to whether air will actually get in - I couldn't say. Not my area of expertise. I'm against exhaust leaks in principle though - in my industry exhaust leaks kill people.

• Like 1

Can't see any pro's, only cons, a leak is a leak and leaks aren't good lol

Unless the leak is intentional and controlled for a desired purpose with a clear understanding of the extent of any potential issues...

Lets put it this way. You're doing this simply as a noise test, because you dont want to spend X amount on a branded aftermarket system because you may not like how it sounds?

So, with that in mind, we know that changing the air box changes sounds aswel as Airflow. Would you run without an airbox at all, completely open throttle body? If your answer is yes, then im out

Smaller hole will actually do the opposite as it'll have a venturi effect as you lift off the throttle.

As to whether air will actually get in - I couldn't say. Not my area of expertise. I'm against exhaust leaks in principle though - in my industry exhaust leaks kill people.

Thanks, this is the kind of response I was hoping for.

Other than location and distance of pipe, is it really any different to just straight piping after the Y-pipe? Does that extra few feet of pipe really make that much difference? Bit of a stretch, but the SLR exhausts come out behind the front wheels...

Lets put it this way. You're doing this simply as a noise test, because you dont want to spend X amount on a branded aftermarket system because you may not like how it sounds?

So, with that in mind, we know that changing the air box changes sounds aswel as Airflow. Would you run without an airbox at all, completely open throttle body? If your answer is yes, then im out

That's not even close to being the same...

The sound difference between running no airbox or an aftermarket exhaust is beyond huge, and I'm not trying to test what an aftermarket intake would sound like...

No airbox / filter will almost definitely result in leaves and crap getting sucked in and causing damage. However, nobody seems to be able to say the same about an exhaust spacer, it's just potential problems that probably won't happen, but might, and even if they do it's reversible in 5 minutes...

Edited by Strudul

Thanks, this is the kind of response I was hoping for.

Other than location and distance of pipe, is it really any different to just straight piping after the Y-pipe? Does that extra few feet of pipe really make that much difference? Bit of a stretch, but the SLR exhausts come out behind the front wheels...

My understanding (bearing in mind my info I based on marine engineering) is this - you want to get exhaust out if an engine as fast as possible. But to achieve this you need more fuel/air mix and bigger bang at a faster rate.

So performance cars of some types have short exhausts because they have machinery that can keep up with demand. However your average car simply can't keep up, so exhaust gas is sent to the safest place to be ejected - the back.

This is why in ship design big ships that have slow speed diesels that run at 120rpm have exhausts that go many meters up to the top of the boat.

Where tugs that run medium speed diesels at much higher rpm have the shortest exhausts possible (also aids visibility)

As said - that could be somewhat incorrect but it is my understanding.

• Like 1