My Focus ST has died.

nowhereboy

It's 100% to do with how they drive. Torque-steering, no feedback, gruff engines, just dire. This is the R56 though, never driven an early one.

Pretty to look at, I'll admit that.

My apologies, you are quite correct that 2006+ are hateful cars. Try to get yourself into a JCW R53, you will be mightily impressed, it's such a raw car, and the power-to-weight is simply shocking. R53s had equal length front driveshafts, torque steer is still there, but minimal.

Edited by Aashenfox

Wires aren't damaged as such they are just over heating very quickly.

I haven't had a chance to go to the garage to see the wiring around the gearbox etc as I'm working way too many hours at the minute.

I'll call the garage I bought it from tomorrow and see what they say.........

I'm no longer a paid member on the focus ST forum so can view the technical sections but from my years on there I don't recall electrical faults being a common fault. The mk2 is getting on a bit now so maybe an age thing.

In a really sexist way, along with 500's, I always check who's driving a mini.

Yup I catch people doing this constantly.

I've got the ST back on my drive now, risked the 5 mile drive home from the garage. Checked under the bonnet afterwards and no signs of over heating, no warning lights on dash or any sign of a problem at all.

Still not using it until it's been looked at by an auto electrician.

Shaun mine is the final run version of the mk2 2010 plate, not one of the old pre facelifts

• 2 weeks later...

Update - It's fixed.

So after £400 quid for a new alternator and bonnet lock (common fault) "torque garage" in forest hall recommended it goes to an auto electrician.

Last time I posted here I had the car back home and had drove it with no signs of problems, battery was fully charged when I checked it, then low and behold dead in the morning again. At this point I was starting to think the battery's just buggered but was worried about the overheating issue the garage mentioned so figured better safe than sorry.

£80 later for an auto electric to check over the full car and he tells me he can't find a fault, no overheating etc and he states as predicted I need a new battery.

New battery fitted and car has been running spot on ever since (fingers crossed).

Fair to say I'm pretty unhappy with torque garage and won't be using them again, I'm convinced all it needed was a battery all along. Live and learn.

• Like 1

Glad this is sorted :thumbs:

This is probably irrelevant now but a friend of mine had a similar experience with their (non ST) Focus's electrical's going batshit crazy. Dashboard lights went into disco mode and the wipers were going without being on but stuttering across the window :lol: . Funny for me, not for them.

That was something to do with water ingress into the Body Control Module. Apparently water is able run down the electrical cables and into the BCM. Googled it and appeared to be a common problem.

Possibly something to bear in mind if the issue returns.

Edited by longsh07
  • Like 1