My Focus ST has died.

nowhereboy

Right someone obviously has a voodoo doll with my name all over it :lol:

The ST Wouldn't start last week, was telling me the key fob couldn't be detected in the car when it clearly was. It's push button start, keyless entry etc. The car went mental, one headlight stuck on, dash lights going crazy.

Called someone from work to come rescue me (the AA), he checked the battery and alternator, battery was flat but no reason to be, it's a new battery and I hadn't left any lights on etc. We thought it was the alternator, the bloke from work checked it and confirmed. We stuck a new fully charged battery in and that got me to my local garage.

So they double checked and confirmed alternator is buggered, £300 quid later for a new alternator and the garage call me to say the car electronics are not right, the wires by the battery are over heating/smoking and they have noticed all the wiring looms by the gearbox have been tampered with, they don't want to touch it. They think the car is pulling too much electrical current and thats what fried the original alternator?

Originally thinking it was just the alternator I wasn't going to bother the garage I bought the car from, I figured sh*t happens and I'll just cover it. This electrical issue is not something I'm willing to overlook. I'm at work right now so haven't rang the garage I bought the car from (I've had it 3 month ish).

Am I right in thinking they have to sort this issue due to it being within the first 6 months? Surely they must have known about the bodged electronics before selling the car too?

Complete nightmare and could really do without this right now. What do people think the chances of an easy fix are? I was always made aware electric faults are a complete nightmare to solve.

They may not have known about the wiring, highly unlikely that they would've even checked the car over that much.

Yes, they are liable to repair. The trouble you're going to have is proving that it was like this when you bought it, when even by our own admission it's been fine for three months. Why are the wires only just smoking now? What has changed? Why is it suddenly pulling too much current?

Perhaps the old alternator was over charging, which would have fried the battery and melted the wiring.

If that is the case then just swopping out the battery and alternator is not a permanent fix as the faulty wiring will still need to be sorted or your car may well go on fire. :scare:

Then you will have the hassle of a big total loss insurance claim.

No idea whats going on to be honest.

It was absolutely fine, parked it up, left it for ten minutes then came back to it and all hell broke loose.

I know nothing about electronics and have no idea what sort of £££££ we are talking to get it sorted.

I'll just ring the garage I picked it up from and see what they say, I suspect I'll have a battle on my hands. I've also found out on the forum that the car was in a decent sized accident with the previous owner but he sorted it outside of insurance so no record of anything on hpi.

:surrender:

Which could have involved bodging the electrics....

I hope I'm wrong, but this sounds like it's going to be a PITA to sort. As much as you don't want to hear it, I reckon that unless the supplying dealer folds quickly that you're going to have sort this yourself. :(

If it all goes wrong you have 6 months from purchase where you can take the vehicle back for full refund for not being fit for purpose. The garage must legally A) repair and make fit for purpose, or B) Give you a full refund. I always go for the full refund as the garage will most likely do the fix as cheap as possible to see out the remainder of the 6 months.

If you buy a new or used car from a dealer and experience problems with it, you have some statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The Act states the car must be “of a satisfactory qualityâ€, “fit for purpose†and “as describedâ€. (For a used car, “satisfactory quality†takes into account the car’s age and mileage.)

You have a right to reject something faulty and you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase in most cases.

After 30 days you lose the short-term right to reject the goods.

You’ll also have fewer rights, such as only being able to ask for a repair or replacement, or a partial refund.

In fact, you’re legally allowed to return it up to six years after you bought it (in Scotland, it’s five years after you first realised there was a problem).

But it gets more difficult to prove a fault and not normal wear and tear is the cause of any problem.

I returned my first t sport corolla fir not being fit for purpose after a month. It was a family run business in Coventry, at first it was just one guy, half an hour layer there was 6 of them. Got my money back though.

If it all goes wrong you have 6 months from purchase where you can take the vehicle back for full refund for not being fit for purpose. The garage must legally A) repair and make fit for purpose, or B) Give you a full refund. I always go for the full refund as the garage will most likely do the fix as cheap as possible to see out the remainder of the 6 months.

Imagine I'm the supplying dealer.

In comes a customer who bought a car off me three months ago. He says that the wiring is butchered around the gearbox. The car has been fine up until now. Another garage has changed bits, and the owner himself has modified it in his ownership so it puts out more power. I don't have any recollection of any issues at all, and the car has been fine for months. I'm unlikely to see the customer again, it's been a tight month and tbh I can't see an easy fix so this is going to cost me money. The owner has faffed around with it, personally I quite fancy my chances in court as I reckon I have a good chance of proving that the fault wasn't there on purchase as otherwise it would've started smoking straight away, and I have a good PDI to prove it.

Nope, I'm not taking the car back, but I will look at it for him and potentially charge for repairs.

Is just one scenario. If the car hadn't been modified, and the other garage hadn't already touched it, then yes it's a slam dunk take it back. In this case, it's questionable.

Can't harm to ask if they will do anything.

If they refuse, try the Motor Ombudsman.

If you paid via credit card, you can try pursue a refund through them.

Last resort is court, but not worth it unless you know you will win.

I agree, however:

Ombudsman has no teeth (check out the current issue with Merc and the scrubbing under full lock)

Credit card will likely push you to go through court at this time, although a good option and one I'd not considered tbh.

Court I wouldn't chance unless I knew the cost to repair the car was upwards of £3000.

Car was already modded when I bought it from them, it was mapped, exhaust, clutch/fly.

Only thing I've done is fitted intercooler and de cat.

They told me it was stock when I bought it (obviously I knew it wasn't)

I've done some reading on the ST forum and it's not unheard of for the battery to lose cells and cause the alternator to over charge. Apparently a dodgy battery can make the alternator appear to be broken?

Thinking about it, after the breakdown I drove 20 miles with a new battery in to the garage with no problems at all, followed by a AA van, we got to the garage, swapped the battery back for the original and left it for them overnight. No signs of electronics over heating, no smoking cables etc.

Surely any half decent garage could work this out for themselves tho? I'm going to speak to them tomorrow.

What is it you don't like about them? It can't be anything to do with how they drive...

I've owned over 40 different models of car, if I ordered them on quality of driving experience (driver's car-i-ness), a 2002-2005 cooper S is in at number 4 after the Audi Quattro Coupe, the S2000 and The 350Z. There is no faster car for crossing a busy city, the steering and throttle are so immediate.

To be fair, mine was mapped to 200hp and had a big brake kit on it and some other choice mods (milltek exhaust), it was a little beastie. I'm sure a regular 1.6 cooper isn't very exciting, but it would be a tragic mistake to write off the whole line because of that, the fast pre-05 ones are superb (to drive, not so much to own or maintain :lol:). Was a biatch on the running costs though, very thirsty, lost a steering pump, and a supercharger, the supercharger one week before selling (how I swore), and there wasn't anything wrong with the actual compressor, they have a weakness of the water pump drive gears which are idiotically integral to the supercharger unit. Stupid design. but let me say again, as a driver's car...epic.