Mirror Mirror on the Wall . . .

DoogyRev

My latest little creative project has been Raspberry PI related. After acquiring one I decided t make a Magic Mirror.

Here is my build thread (just for Keyser and Leon)

To begin with I purchased a brand new monitor ensuring the connections for power and HDMI were lateral with the screen.

My61YiR.jpg

e1DhItD.jpg

Tmxfs5j.jpg

I then proceeded to strip the monitor of its case so only the internals remain

HVgDD69.jpg

qj2mKak.jpg

the remaining bits

GYMaRNU.jpg

I the made a oak frame that fits the monitor exactly .

GPfQSX5.jpg

and then a second frame thats fits round the that one

Zi8MfeE.jpg

Glued the two together but slightly offset.

lfGYlj3.jpg

as you can see here, the offset is the same depth as the two way mirror glass I ordered. Just like the stuff they use in interrogation rooms or pervs install in bathrooms :lol:

K7ughi1.jpg

Sprayed the inner side which the mirror will sit on black

gyZSWZy.jpg

Test fitting the mirror glass

qiIykGH.jpg

I also decided to colour in the monitor surround . . sharpie to the rescue. A black background will not show as much through the glass

c7sMDs7.jpg

Then off to the local Mill to get some nice wood to make the front. This is Curley Maple, glued together to make the frame.

z7d7Cwv.jpg

which I then used Shellac to "pop the grain" Three coats sanding in between

PS9e5Rg.jpg

Whilst that was drying I drilled some holes for ventilation top and bottom, fixed in some USB and Power

v4BN10b.jpg

Not time for a few coats of semi gloss varnish, sanding in between

EcQYKOn.jpg

Once dry, attach the outer front frame, install the glass and the monitor

4gF1Kjx.jpg

All wiring and Raspberry PI fitted and installed.

6ZP27ms.jpg

Fixed a back on with more vents for heat dispersion and a couple of french cleats for mounting on the wall . . this thing is pretty heavy

K8OhaRj.jpg

Tah-dah . . . . .

Ra5JXTu.jpg

nJfzDKG.jpg

HJSCo39.jpg

B)

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 8

I am really not sure what else I would use a Raspberry PI for . . . the Mirror is about the only thing i have seen which interested me :shrug:

A few of my colleagues are monitoring all of their home gas/electic/water or running their security monitoring systems using PI's

Nice one. I've been meaning to do one of these for a while but struggled to find the 2-way glass.

I've not got a Pi yet, but my first project is going to be an LCD scale pinball machine, similar to the below. I've got 6 spare 22" widescreen monitors which work were chucking so planning to have a play with these.

6e700e78d86b4202e5c5f5cdf7b0f328.jpg

Nice one. I've been meaning to do one of these for a while but struggled to find the 2-way glass.

Any glass or window place should be about to source it for you. I got mine from a local place, had to be ordered in from the US. The only other alternative is order two way perspex, but I have seen reports that it can warp and end up like a circus funny mirror :lol: . . glass has to be glass.

I made the frame then ordered a piece 2mm LxH smaller and I can remove the top of the outer frame and take the glass out if I want, just in case it ever broke.

Pinball machine looks cool, not see that before B)

Top stuff mate, that looks very sleek :thumbs:

If I may offer some constructive criticism - Should have been at least 3 posts over 4 days I have nothing to look forwards to now :lol:

Keep em coming mate :thumbs:

EDIT: Unless Leon does something on his Jag soon :stir:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

Nice work, do you have any pictures of the depth of your magic mirror? I see there is a plug encased inside the frame. I just wondered how easy it would be to thin it down more

its just under 2" deep (not including the front surround) , which is about the thinnest I could go, if you look at pic 4 the back of the monitor dictates the depth. With the back panel on there is about 4mm between that and the back of the monitor. i searched for a long time for the right extension lead so the plugs fit the slimmest way round. You guys will be screwed with the UK 3pin plugs. I did think about having the extension externally but that would not look as good IMO

Did. You see them kicking these out for a cool grand at CES?

That's about 800 clams profit per unit for you Doogy.

https://www.cnet.com...mirror/preview/

This is absolutely awesome!

Seen these being sold online for crazy money and they definitely don't look as good as yours, you could be in business here mate! :lol:

Yes I saw the ones at CES, and I like mine better :lol: As for making and selling . . . .

Raspberry Pi - $100 (inc HDMI and Memory Card)

Monitor - $220

Wood - $100

Extension Cable - $50

USB Extensions - $40

French Cleats - $50

So $560 not including all the sundries (small brackets, screws, Shellac, Varnish, Glue, Sand Paper etc), I also had to get the corner clamps, some chisels and a mitre saw, so all in all its prob cost me nearly $1k to make.

Note - All prices in $ CAD :lol:

• Like 1

Added Photos this weekend, it scrolls though the latest 20 photos in a flickr account. B)

kpL9kpP.jpg

PQGCNPx.jpg

:teeth:

Edit - Photos don't do it justice, it looks way better in the flesh

Edited by DoogyRev