350Z Noob

Hi all been exploring a few different avenues for a weekend car, and have been seriously considering a 350Z or possibly a 370Z...

Have come from a MK2 Focus ST running 330bhp so looking for something that won't feel much slower, but more sporty.

Have noticed a 57 plate, 9000 miler, 313, Rays, full leather etc for sale for £12500, does that seem like a fair price for that sort of mileage? Another thing i will be looking at doing is modding it, i have absolutely no idea what the usual mods are and will look it up on here but for now, are they easy to mod? Would like to get up to 350BHP if possible without going daft and adding forced induction. Exhaust is a must of course!

If there's anyone out there who has gone from a Focus ST to a 350Z would like to hear your experiences!

Also the pro's and con's of a 350 over a 370 as having worked for Nissan Distribution Service before i have sat in a few brand new 370's and they certainly are lovely, never driven one though.

Sorry for the essay and hope it's in the right place, hopefully i'll be sticking around!

Thanks, Matt.

• Like 1

£12,500 for an 07 350Z is too much in my opinion, regardless of how much mileage is on them. You could easily net yourself a newer and faster 370z for not much more than that. In fact a member here recently had their 370z up for sale for around that money.

Hard to justify spending over £10k on any 350z unless it was something special, like a GT4 with very low miles or a Genuine Nismo Z33 import.

A few members have had Focus STs and RS, they will be along to give their opinions soon I'm sure :-)

Welcome to the Forum BTW 😊

£12,500 for an 07 350Z is too much in my opinion, regardless of how much mileage is on them. You could easily net yourself a newer and faster 370z for not much more than that. In fact a member here recently had their 370z up for sale for around that money.

Hard to justify spending over £10k on any 350z unless it was something special, like a GT4 with very low miles or a Genuine Nismo Z33 import.

A few members have had Focus STs and RS, they will be along to give their opinions soon I'm sure :-)

Welcome to the Forum BTW 😊

Thanks mate i did think it was very expensive, i think it's the most expensive on Autotrader atm actually. Would like to see if i could get the price down at least as it's been up a while.

Are the 370's a big improvement over the 350's? Budget is around £20k and im also looking at Focus RS' but they are just stupid prices. Don't have to spend it all either hence looking at £12 grand 350's.

You can pick up a very well proportioned 350z for a lot less than £12500. If £12,500 was your budget you could buy a lowish mile DE minter for about £6000 and install a raft of tasteful goodies to make it past 350PS. You can't really get past 300bhp with the simple plenum spacer, decats and remap, for the kind of power you're after it's Forced Induction I'm afraid.

The reason I say DE is because with the single intake, there are a few more options for power increase with bolt-ons, less so with the twin throttle HR. It's not impossible, just not very cost effective compared to the DE.

Got no idea what DE means? haha

I thought the later ones came with 313 standard or am i missing something?

TBH, in terms of modding the car, it will probably be done slowly over a 2-3 year period, exhaust first etc, map, coilovers.

Might even end up going Forced induction at some point.

Edited by scottyfocus

Ah OK.

DE is the single intake engine used in the 2002-2005 350z, Elgrand, 350GT Skyline etc. It makes 276 bhp standard and is Rev limited to 6500 rpm

The DE had a modified cousin between 2005 & 2006 called the Revup which produced 296 bhp with Rev limit of 7200rpm

Finally, between 2007 & 2009 the VQ35HR replaced the DE engine altogether. The design is different, twin throttles feed an improved plenum design and the engine produces 313PS with a red line of 7600rpm

DE engines have had the most attention from tuners and enthusiasts. Supercharger setups from Stillen are comparatively rarer to see than those by vortech. Gains vary but the best I've seen/heard from a Vortech was 457bhp which isn't to be sniffed at.

Edited by -G-

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Just out of interest, what do you guys think would be a fair price for the Zed mentioned in my opening post?

Ill type out the spec as best i can...

57 plate HR

1 owner

9000 miles

FSH (6 stamps?)

GT

Ebisu Black

Currently up for £12,500 but it's calling my name haha.

Thinking if i can knock £500 off might be a better deal. Or even possibly more as it's been up for sale a while.

I've taken a look at the car you're talking about and even though the miles are very low, it's not worth £12,000.

I'd be tempted to offer him significantly lower than that to eventually wind up south of £10,000. It's a soon-to-be 10 year old car as mentioned before, the 370z is faster, more stylish and arguably a more enjoyable drive with the Rev matching gearbox - and this is from someone who has had 2 350z's! (kind of)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610289220136?atmobcid=soc3

The car above is around the right price and what's more, the previous owner has remapped it to 330bhp and upgraded the exhaust with miltek. At a shade over 40,000 miles it's much better value than the standard low miler.

Don't want to dissuade you from choosing the other car, I'm just not convinced it's what you're after, especially since you say you're after more power and mods, which on a mint, completely standard low-miles 350z would be a bit of a waste.