When you get bored and talk cars with your mate...

AMT

Who said anything about the £2K? I said running costs are accepted before ...the £40K is there to be spent as you wish. Who on earth would run an R35 on £2K ..thats ridiculous lol

You arn't gettin this at all are you lol

Edited by AMT

G Man, whenever anybody says anything bad about the Mustang you get all defensive. Relax dude. For what it's worth i love the Mustang and will be owning one at some point, despite the 'average' experience i had in the one i rented on holiday - which you had a pop at me for when i dared to say it was anything less than perfect.

AMT - I 100% understand what you're saying. I've always been of this mindset myself, hence the 16 year old 911 i had, as well as the 10 year old Range Rover Sport that im driving now - I've always bought the best car i can for the money, which is usually at the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

Now i'm getting older and more sensible (33, lol) im starting to want something newer, more reliable. I cant be bothered getting the spanners out at the weekend to fix my cars anymore - i just want comfort and reliability - as well as the performance and prestige that having good cars has always brought me. This now puts me in a difficult position that i've got expensive tastes that i can't quite justify satisfying (i.e. i now want a new 911 and RRS, but i cant afford them :blush: )

• Like 2

G Man, whenever anybody says anything bad about the Mustang you get all defensive. Relax dude. For what it's worth i love the Mustang and will be owning one at some point, despite the 'average' experience i had in the one i rented on holiday - which you had a pop at me for when i dared to say it was anything less than perfect.

AMT - I 100% understand what you're saying. I've always been of this mindset myself, hence the 16 year old 911 i had, as well as the 10 year old Range Rover Sport that im driving now - I've always bought the best car i can for the money, which is usually at the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

Now i'm getting older and more sensible (33, lol) im starting to want something newer, more reliable. I cant be bothered getting the spanners out at the weekend to fix my cars anymore - i just want comfort and reliability - as well as the performance and prestige that having good cars has always brought me. This now puts me in a difficult position that i've got expensive tastes that i can't quite justify satisfying (i.e. i now want a new 911 and RRS, but i cant afford them :blush: )

Glad it makes sense to you :thumbs: I'll try and find the same stuff to smoke :lol: I'm relaxed 'dude' ;), Netflix and chillin'

Edited by The G Man

Thank you! haha. Yes, thats all the fun I was gettin at. If you can afford to spend money on running, its nice to save a wad of cash and buy something ..older, but special. I'm 30 and thats why despite putting it back I'm determine to replace the Z with the XKR, although it may now have to be a 5.0 as the 4.2's are gettin hefty on mileage. Again... a once £70+K car that can now be had for so much less and is so appealing.

Anyway I've had a good participation in my thread :lol: :lol:

G Man, whenever anybody says anything bad about the Mustang you get all defensive. Relax dude. For what it's worth i love the Mustang and will be owning one at some point, despite the 'average' experience i had in the one i rented on holiday - which you had a pop at me for when i dared to say it was anything less than perfect

Was this the pop that your talking about?

"I rented a yellow convertible in Vegas last month. It wasnt the 5.0 and i've got to say it was quite dull to drive, sadly. The Mustang has been at the top of my list since forever, but i was a little disappointed with this.

On a positive note, the infotainment was great, as well as the OBC. My favourite touch was the mustang logo projected onto the floor when you unlock it.

I still need to drive the V8 before i can give a propper verdict, but they Jury's out for now"

Maybe the jury shouldn't have pre-deliberated before the verdict ;)

:lol: I thought that was quite positive, I would be disappointed in a V6 (?) auto (?) droptop Mustang rental as well :shrug:

You've been carrying that for a while buddy :lol: chill 'dude'

Edited by The G Man

:yawn: i'm not carrying anything mate. I was just citing another example of your demeanor when the Mustang gets criticised.

...That said, having just re-read your 'pop' - i think i can see your point now that you've said it was positive. :lol::blush:

Thank you, my demeanour is flawless, now with that in mind, if I said your Range Rover was crap, but having never set foot in one, would you like that? When the OP makes sweeping statements on any marque as to how bad they are, without ever having tried it, your Range Rover for instance, how would you react? Would you correct them? Ask what their experience is with them? That's all I did.

It wasn't 'another example', of anything, it was a fair comment. Now I had a fair bit of hounding on here regards my choice of cars, we all know who those 'suspects' are, some of them more 'suspect' than others. It is only natural that I would return fire, mostly, if not always the case, that those having a go at my choice of car, knew little if anything at all and were merely trying to wind me up enough to have me banned from the site

You need to have a think about your perception of my comments and me :lol:

In saying all that, AMT is as mad as a box of frogs :lol:

I could have bought a newish Corsa or Astra with my cash but I like cars and when I found out I can have 300 odd bhp and a big V6... I bought that instead.

How do you take the family shopping in a Z?? How much luggage can you take with you on a family holiday?? As sad as that may sound when you get older these are things that matter alot more than a V6 etc.

I'm pretty sure no one would voluntary drive around in a S-Max or similar, but with other responsibilities in lifes cars often take a back step.

As someone getting older I'm just glad I've got the disposable income to avoid the need to have something like a S-Max parked up on the drive.

*I have no hatred of the S-Max, but the thought of having to drive any MPV/van with seats/windows equally fills me with dred. At least thats how I justify spending so much on an SUV :)

Edited by gangzoom

You could just as well do the same scenario with this....

http://www.autotrade...ice-desc&page=1

or...

http://www.autotrade...de=g22bp&page=1

NO YOU CAN'T FFS

You've done it again: Chosen a family car designed for five people and put it up against a car that has precisely nothing in common at all! It doesn't work as a meaningful comparison in the slightest. It's like me asking if I should buy a new kettle or a new chefs knife, as until you know what I need it for it's a pointless question PLUS I wouldn't be considering both anyway for the same job.

Honestly, how many more times do you want me to spell it out?! :lol: Now, go and find two cars WHICH SHARE A TARGET AUDIENCE and we can have a sensible conversation.

You could just as well do the same scenario with this....

http://www.autotrade...ice-desc&page=1

or...

http://www.autotrade...de=g22bp&page=1

NO YOU CAN'T FFS

You've done it again: Chosen a family car designed for five people and put it up against a car that has precisely nothing in common at all! It doesn't work as a meaningful comparison in the slightest. It's like me asking if I should buy a new kettle or a new chefs knife, as until you know what I need it for it's a pointless question PLUS I wouldn't be considering both anyway for the same job.

Honestly, how many more times do you want me to spell it out?! :lol: Now, go and find two cars WHICH SHARE A TARGET AUDIENCE and we can have a sensible conversation.

This made me laugh... I know it wasn't your intention, but the wording just tickled me.

Thank you! haha. Yes, thats all the fun I was gettin at. If you can afford to spend money on running, its nice to save a wad of cash and buy something ..older, but special. I'm 30 and thats why despite putting it back I'm determine to replace the Z with the XKR, although it may now have to be a 5.0 as the 4.2's are gettin hefty on mileage. Again... a once £70+K car that can now be had for so much less and is so appealing.

Anyway I've had a good participation in my thread :lol: :lol:

I get your point hence I bought a 4 yr old XFR for the same money as a 3 year old 370z , I considered the Mustang until i sat in one :)

this is a bit of a non thread... yes new cars are pricey. if you're prepared to buy a 3-5 year or older car, you can buy a car that originally retailed for a lot more.

however, some people like new cars, and are prepared to spend more to get one. personally if I had £40k to spend on a comfortable cruising device, i'd buy one of these, and have £5k in the bank for repairs. Assuming of course that fuel economy and servicing costs weren't an issue.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609248089531?make=BENTLEY&model=CONTINENTAL&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&sort=price-desc&price-to=35000&postcode=cv313bf&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

I'm quite glad there are loads of people buying new cars with finance packages, so there will be plenty of used cars around for me to pick up in 5 years time.

I don't understand why no one else understands what AMT is saying, it really is quite simple :shrug:

Because he's posting like a muppet :lol:

Now, if the thread was "Why do people spend £40K on a new 320D when they could buy a 5 year old M3 for the same money?", then we'd all be happy. But he didn't. So I'm not. :D

• Like 1

I understand what OP is getting at here but as it's already been explained it's just a case of different strokes for different folks.

I used to wonder why anyone would spend a lot of money on a standard and rather boring car when they could enjoy a sporty fun car for the same cost or less if bought used.

The answer is simple really tho, not everyone is a petrol head. Some people just want reliability, comfort and a nice clean new car, not big thrills and BHP.

Saying that I still cringe when I see some of my car insurance customers paying 20k + for a bog standard hatchback.

Can I just point out the Mustang comment was a bit of fun cos my mate likes em... I don't. lol Had no other purpose. The thread was supposed to be a bit of fun, .... the joy of having such awesome cars for lower money and in no way was supposed to be compared to...doors, what it can carry etc etc lol. It was simple the cost. And yes...there will be people out there who thought I'll have a new saloon but then realised... I've always fancied that 'insert car here' and decided to take the plunge, so it does work! :lol: albeit probably few.

My god fun chat on this forum is horrendous. :lol::p It was simple... for this price bracket this is what new stuff you can get.... but if you are willing .. look what wonders you can have.

And you bloody well can have an astra vs Z!!! :blush::lol: People looking at a sporty new car can only usualy get slow hatches for the price of a used Z, so its nice to know the Z's depreciation enables you to own one.

Thank you again KyleR lol

Edited by AMT