When you get bored and talk cars with your mate...

AMT

So on this... exciting Saturday night I got chatting with a friend about cars and what kinda stuff you can buy. He likes Mustangs, but we'll draw a line under that right now cos' there crap. I came across this point, I've noted it for a long time but it still staggers me.

There are cars out there with not that much miles on them that can be had at such a huge 'discount'. As long as you can afford to run them (and I realise my example is extreme) you can save huge amounts on what is possible a barely run in car. I got my Zed practically new (15K miles, 3 yr old) for half price. Yes it costs a penny to run but its worth it. So...

Have £40K burning a hole in your pocket? (I know I don't)... why not treat yourself to a new BMW....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611069496269?make=BMW&sort=price-desc&price-to=40000&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&body-type=Saloon&postcode=g22bp&maximum-mileage=40000&model=3%20SERIES&page=2

...or if you actually like cars, for roughly the same cost, you could risk it for a biscuit on one of these...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609207955486?radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&body-type=Coupe&model=DB9&maximum-mileage=40000&postcode=g22bp&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&make=ASTON%20MARTIN&page=1

Sure you might break down a few days later after moving its backside from the dealership but .... you so would.

If someone can tell me how to finance a purchase like this, i'd be very interested to know...

On www.allcarleasing.co.uk you can get into a bmw 320d for around £325 per month. Is it possible to get Lease/PCP style finance on used cars such as the Aston example?

I'm aware that Halifax offer PCP style finance, but you've got to be a customer to get a quote (I dont even want that - I just want to see some representative examples).

http://www.halifax.co.uk/car-finance/compare/

• Like 1

You won't get PCP on cars that old.

One is a four door saloon with a Diesel engine that will get you a million miles to a tank. The other is a fragile British GT built in a shed by orphans that will cost you a billionth pounds in electrical faults. They're not even close.

• Like 3

Why is that 320d so expensive??? For that sorta money I'd be looking at a brand new Nismo 370z, they can be had for £34-£35k using Carwow.

Or my other option was an E92 M3 - More car, but also more maintenance and unfortunately older/used.

If you wanna get a diesel barge, buy a one year old 430d ( cause it looks way better than the 3 ) and save nearly half the initial cost!

The cost of alot of 'normal' cars heading up towards the £40k mark. I'm not sure if this is just marketing rubbish, so that when you get a £10k 'discount' you feel better, or if its ture price inflation. Certainly manufacture PCP rates are always heavily discounted on something like a 320d, the reason you can lease one for £300/month if because of all the discounts thrown into the deal. Its the same situation as my Leaf, list price is £30k but close to £15k worth of discounts thrown into the PCP deal in order to get to a stupid £200/month figure.

Used cars have and always will be cheaper than new, most cars drop 50% in value after 3 years so that's nothing new. So you cannot really compare like for like.

The cheapest loans at the moment are mortgages, fixed 2 year deals are <1.5% APR. Or get a unsecured personal loan, £40k over 5 years is about £700/month. Raking up personal debt of £40k any car is probably not the best financial idea also don't forget the running costs.

Still I'm sure ive been heard some forum memebers on here say they don't care about mpg/running costs/general expense of any cars, if that's the case than just go for it :).

Edited by gangzoom

I'm aware that Halifax offer PCP style finance, but you've got to be a customer to get a quote (I dont even want that - I just want to see some representative examples).

http://www.halifax.co.uk/car-finance/compare/

Checked for you.

£40k loan

3 years

£15k deposit

£356/month

Final payment of £15k

Total APR 4.4%

So actually with a big enough deposit you can get a monthly payment the same as 320d ;)

Car however cannot be more than 7 years old at the end of the term.

• Like 1

BMW really are pushing new cars and it doesnt make sense to buy a pre reg or slighly used. For starters the APR on used is 10.9% where as new its 2.9 to 4.9%

A friend of mine has just bought a 440i Gran Coupe with near £10k of list along with 2.9% makes its alot cheaper then any of the used examples he looked at.

I dont have £30-40k to buy a car so finance anyway possible aslong as the monthly payments fit my budget.

Edited by un1eash

http://www.halifax.c...inance/compare/

Checked for you.

£40k loan

3 years

£15k deposit

£356/month

Final payment of £15k

Total APR 4.4%

So actually with a big enough deposit you can get a monthly payment the same as 320d ;)

Car however cannot be more than 7 years old at the end of the term.

Cheers! Been after this info for a while.

:lol: I love this. haha The point was I'm taking into account that someone could afford the running costs. ...likes cars (fair enough it doesn't need to be an Aston).. the chance to own something special for a crap load less is superb. You just gotta deal with the costs and you would know and have researched it before hand...

My 15K could have been spent on some sort of BMW or Merc or something, something slow and really new, but I bought a Zed and have spent a fortune replacing stuff for its bloody suspension and other bits and bobs. The fuels horrendous and the tyres it goes through are stupid. Again... I knew this and I bought it knowing it'd be a heap more interesting than a new car....

So... I'm in the ....'F**k it I'll buy the Aston with ma £40K' camp ;):lol:

As for the questions on the Stangs' there looks do not excite me, the interior and design is woeful (the shapes, look, tonka toy controls :yuck: ) and there not exactly ideal to drive. No I have not driven the new ones, by the looks of reviews they seem to be ok? lol

So point is... did you use your head when you bought your Zed? I'd hope not or else you would't have had one lol

I don't think about depreciation or any of that and nor should you if your buying a car... that you want because YOU LIKE CARS. I don't care what the Zeds worth at the end, I drive it 17500 miles every year approx and it gets used every day. I'd do the same with the Aston, if I could afford the fuel, servicing and electrical gremlins lol

And if I won the lottery I'd be bouncing about in this everyday also..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610299239425?postcode=g22bp&body-type=Coupe&make=ASTON%20MARTIN&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&model=DB9&sort=price-desc&page=2

I'm just dreaming now...

Edited by AMT

:lol: I love this. haha The point was I'm taking into account that someone could afford the running costs. ...likes cars (fair enough it doesn't need to be an Aston).. the chance to own something special for a crap load less is superb. You just gotta deal with the costs and you would know and have researched it before hand...

My 15K could have been spent on some sort of BMW or Merc or something, something slow and really new, but I bought a Zed and have spent a fortune replacing stuff for its bloody suspension and other bits and bobs. The fuels horrendous and the tyres it goes through are stupid. Again... I knew this and I bought it knowing it'd be a heap more interesting than a new car....

So... I'm in the ....'F**k it I'll buy the Aston with ma £40K' camp ;):lol:

As for the questions on the Stangs' there looks do not excite me, the interior and design is woeful (the shapes, look, tonka toy controls :yuck: ) and there not exactly ideal to drive. No I have not driven the new ones, by the looks of reviews they seem to be ok? lol

So point is... did you use your head when you bought your Zed? I'd hope not or else you would't have had one lol

I don't think about depreciation or any of that and nor should you if your buying a car... that you want because YOU LIKE CARS. I don't care what the Zeds worth at the end, I drive it 17500 miles every year approx and it gets used every day. I'd do the same with the Aston, if I could afford the fuel, servicing and electrical gremlins lol

And if I won the lottery I'd be bouncing about in this everyday also..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201610299239425?postcode=g22bp&body-type=Coupe&make=ASTON%20MARTIN&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&model=DB9&sort=price-desc&page=2

I'm just dreaming now...

I think you're hallucinating, stay away from the medicine cabinet ;)

• Like 1

I've seen you cutting about Motherwell, drooling at the site of my Mustang :lol:

Seriously though, can you explain your thread? It's completely baffling!?!

Are you after a second hand car for £40k?

I'll sell you my Mazda 3 SportNav 2.2D with twin turbo (it really is TT, check it on Mazda's site), for a bargain £39,990

The point was not the car but the price... what you can get for the price. I'm quick typing, I'm not fussed about spelling lol Don't analyze it too much, someone asks you you've 40K. Have a new car or have something thats super special but you don't have to pay the £100K asking price... that simple lol

You could just as well do the same scenario with this....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611169803412?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=g22bp&body-type=Coupe&fuel-type=Petrol&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&price-to=8500&maximum-mileage=40000&sort=price-desc&page=1

or...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611079516748?advertising-location=at_cars&model=350%20Z&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&body-type=Coupe&sort=price-asc&make=NISSAN&maximum-mileage=40000&radius=1500&postcode=g22bp&page=1

Edited by AMT

KyleR's got it lol. You could have an R35 for £38K. Point is some people will go and spend that large amount of money on something not special, something mundane, but if your a car nut and your willing to spend on running costs, the types of cars you can get for 'not that much considering the type of car' are tremendous. How is it that hard to see the point lol :lol:

I could have bought a newish Corsa or Astra with my cash but I like cars and when I found out I can have 300 odd bhp and a big V6... I bought that instead.

Edited by AMT

So, £38k, and you've got a whole £2k left for the running costs? Now if a R35 was £2k and you had £38k for running costs your post might make sense.

But, oh fk it, your twisting my melons with all your gobbledygook. Why not try drinking instead?

Enjoy your 'big V6', :thumbs: