The Grand Tour

StevoD

Well I almost turned it off during the first episode. Sounds like the 2nd isn't looking particularly promising either.

In the 1st, I found the car stuff was okay, but everything in the studio was shite and not funny, the celebrity bit was stupid and didn't make sense, and the "pro" driver was just painful to watch.

At the end of the day, they are catering for the US, it's a bigger market and Amazon probably don't really care if they lose viewers from the UK as we are so insignificant in comparison.

It may be heresy, but I reckon new TG will end up being better than GT. If they are getting rid of Chris Evans and Eddie Jordan, the rest of them are quite good. Chris Harris especially is excellent.

Edited by Strudul

Second episode was background noise as i looked for parts for my z.. the vulcan was good.. the rest was crap. It feels really rushed at times in the studio.. i didnt watch the last 10 minutes.. i was bored to death with that whole military queen bullsh**t

Oh, I forgot to mention just how ridiculous that SA 'craze' of donutting in a car park actually is. If you're going to drift then do it properly, that kind of malarkey was nothing different to what you can find in every Lidl car park on a Thursday night over here :lol:

• Like 3

Absolute waste of money so far. Intro to the first episode got me excited, rest of the first episode was rubbish and the 2nd was utter @*!#!

Had carried on my prime subscription post free trial to see what GT was likr. The intro got me interested, but having just seen 3/4 of episode 2 I've cancelled the subscription. Better stuff on youTube these days for free.

• Like 1

I must admit I did laugh at many scenes in the grand tour, although as everyone else has said I want to see some more cars! I can see why they're doing what they're doing, as I'm sure there are many viewers who watch for the comedy rather than cars. Since they can't have celebrities come on, I would like it if they brought on a member of the audience who has the most powerful car and kind of review what it's like living with it.

• Like 1

I must admit I did laugh at many scenes in the grand tour, although as everyone else has said I want to see some more cars! I can see why they're doing what they're doing, as I'm sure there are many viewers who watch for the comedy rather than cars. Since they can't have celebrities come on, I would like it if they brought on a member of the audience who has the most powerful car and kind of review what it's like living with it.

Problem is that most of it isn't even remotely funny. Everything seems scripted and it's just painful to watch. There's none of the classic banter and fooling about. They have been told what to say / do and how to react and it's just cringey. The jokes aren't funny, and even if they were, let's face it, 90% of a joke is the delivery, and the trio are not exactly good actors, so they can't pull it off.

The Spec Ops crap in ep2 was the best of example of the worst it can be.

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

I'll be honest, they're not quite the shows I was hoping they would be. hopefully they'll do what top gear USA did after two seasons, which was ditch the studio, celebrities and track sections entirely, and just have an on location from start to finish, which was a lot better.

have to say, I think I preferred the last three episodes of new top gear to the first two episode of the grand tour.

and the advertising is completely different to the actual show, three friends, yes, but one incredible adventure? not from what I've seen so far, there wasn't any continuity between the two episodes other than the studio tent.

Interesting that the media were all over EP1 saying how much it trumped Top Gear and look at Clarkson beating the BBC etc. Not much in the news about EP2, nothing at all about it being quite dreadful (based on feedback on here). Funny how the media loves to sniff out a story to suit its own needs...

...but as above, I thought the last few episodes of new TG were pretty good it was proper petrolhead heaven and I hope they continue to evolve and make the small changes that are needed. Dare I say it, but looking at EP1 of TGT maybe it wasnt the format of TG that had gotten boring and stale, but in fact it was the presenters? I just don't find those three funny anymore.

• Like 2

It was better than the steaming pile that was ep2, but again it went on too long and the joke of the exhaust wore very thin very quickly. And hahahahaha they knocked his house down oh let me grab my sides.

No American though, so a winner there at least :)

hooray, an actual grand tour! a good old fashioned road trip, with a trackday thrown in. nothing particularly new or entertaining, but its what i want to see. makes me want to go to italy in the summertime!

and yep no american, just need to get rid of the celebrity comedy death section and all will be good.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed it, Hammond in his hellcat reminds me of me in my zed (especially the tunnels)

That house they destroyed has been on TG before, I wonder if it had something structurally wrong with it? Seems a shame to destroy a 200 year old house.

That house they destroyed has been on TG before, I wonder if it had something structurally wrong with it? Seems a shame to destroy a 200 year old house.

thats because its Clarksons actual house , now his missus and kids have moved out he was demolishing it so he can build a new one there

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/jeremy-clarkson-blows-up-his-old-home-to-make-way-for-new-cotswo/

• Like 1

After 3 episode i think the GT is well Meh, its not what i thought it was going to be its not what been advertised at all it is just purely Topgear with a different name.

ill continue to watch it but there is literally no hype about it any more for me if im honest. If anything im disappointed all this talk of redesigning the show etc but other than a tent instead of a studio it is exactly the same as what it was on bbc.

1st half good, second half poor. Agreed Rich, heard from locals (as we live 20 mins from Chipping Norton) Clarkson was knocking his house down. There's some controversy as to what he intends to replace it with.

Anyway regarding GT i was eagerly waiting its ending so that I could watch last nights jungle :lol:

Ep3 was actually pretty good...

- Celebrity bit was shite and pointless as ever.

- Complaining about and trying to lose Hammond was too scripted. It got old and didn't really make sense.

- The house bit was kinda stupid cos we all know he's been planning to knock it down since pre 2013.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed the rest. Even the mocking of Clarkson's "brown" AM felt a lot more natural and more reminiscent of old top gear.

Edited by Strudul