Smoking like trooper overfilled!

Spatt

I have another car, me and the girlfriends share it for work (we both work at the same place) and yes (its hard work sometimes :lol: )

Honestly i'm not too bummed out by it all... its no question what has to be done and no question to me if it should be done either. Its just a matter of when in terms of getting some funds together.

I'm not using the car daily and in fact i wont touch it now until TRAX in September. I'll make sure i have plenty of oil to top it up on the way down and just take it easy. Its not smoking on part throttle or just cruising about so should be ok on the motorway.

Hope to get some money together in a few months and get it done for Chrismas. The wheels will be coming off for winter and i hope if i sell them that should help a bit towards the overall cost.

I forgot to mention that i took the oil sump off when i dropped the oil yesterday and it all looks pretty good in there, some residue on the sump bottom from fine metal filings but surly thats to be expected.

I'll update as i go and if i take the engine out myself i'll post up some pics. On that note it might be handy if there is a little "how to" B):lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear that mate, good luck with the rebuild/replace

Not sure if there is a how to for removing engines but if you have any particular bits you want info on drop me a pm I have taken out 1 or 2 now ;)

I have another car, me and the girlfriends share it for work (we both work at the same place) and yes (its hard work sometimes :lol: )

Honestly i'm not too bummed out by it all... its no question what has to be done and no question to me if it should be done either. Its just a matter of when in terms of getting some funds together.

I'm not using the car daily and in fact i wont touch it now until TRAX in September. I'll make sure i have plenty of oil to top it up on the way down and just take it easy. Its not smoking on part throttle or just cruising about so should be ok on the motorway.

Hope to get some money together in a few months and get it done for Chrismas. The wheels will be coming off for winter and i hope if i sell them that should help a bit towards the overall cost.

I forgot to mention that i took the oil sump off when i dropped the oil yesterday and it all looks pretty good in there, some residue on the sump bottom from fine metal filings but surly thats to be expected.

I'll update as i go and if i take the engine out myself i'll post up some pics. On that note it might be handy if there is a little "how to" B):lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear this fella, unfortunately if there are metal particles in the oil, its not just piston rings, sounds like bearing metal to me, i would suspect the oil pressure has got low enough to cause damage to the crank bearings, due to starvation....not what you want to hear, but as others have said its a bit of a risk to run it for any distance, as if it does seize, you could end up needing a new block/engine rather than a rebuild, not to mention what can happen if your travelling at speed when it does lock up, or dump its oil over your tyres, you would be taking an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Agreed. I wouldn't even drive it to Trax if it's as bad as you say, it's really not worth the risk. What happens if it locks up on the motorway, chucks you into a spin and then you take out four or five other cars with kids in? I know, I know, it's a longshot but it's not impossible, and ignoring everything else that would happen afterwards (insurance, legal etc) you'd feel absolutely horrendous for the rest of your life.

It's only a car, it's only one day, take something else and just enjoy it rather than place yourself and others at risk.

Have to agree with Ricky and Dan Matt, hard to swallow I know but I'd take if the road, get it Sorn and make a start on any prep work you can in front of getting the funds together. As Steve said get a shed for a couple of hundred and hopefully get your money back on it when the Zeds mended. Good luck with it mate👍

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

.....some residue on the sump bottom from fine metal filings but surly thats to be expected.

Definitely not - warning signs or something that could mean the engine could let go at any minute.

So as others said ^^^^ big risk if you drive it again that could mean a lot lot more expense than just an engine rebuild :scare:

Hey guys,

Yeh your all totally right,; I haven't considered what mess i might get into.. Its just one day and i can ride shotgun in the C63 no problem so i'll take it off the road and get my tax back.

I'm looking at a place in Manchester for the rebuild (still waiting on quote) and a friendly mechanic i know would be happy to take the engine out if needed and store the car etc...

Am i right in thinking not all rebuilds are the same? apart from the obvious piston rings, gaskets other consumables what should i be getting done? Bearings / Seals ??

I'm thinking i might change the engine mounts since they'll have to come off

• Like 1

Well considering you ran it on low oil, potentially every part of the engine is suspect now, as it all could have overheated, distorted, have excess wear and so on. Personally I'd swap it out for a known good one as you've pretty much ruined this one by the sounds of things

Personally I'd go with GreenLandy, get a known good engine and swap it out then you are only paying for the engine and and the engine in/out and unless you are going to rebuild the engine with forged parts in which case you have/need to rebuild it generally works out cheaper to do an engine swap compared to a full rebuild.

On the flip side a rebuild should mean you have an almost new engine doesn't add much to value but is good for peace of mind :)

Good luck with it whichever way you go :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

i'd also agree with GreenLandy... trying to see what mileage your engine currently has but cant see the info, but either way i'd rather put a replacement 40k engine in rather than try and rebuild a higher mileage engine. and i'd have thought a basic like for like engine swap would be cheaper than a rebuild, assuming you're happy enough with a standard engine.

Also the current success rate on this forum with rebuilding engines and still having problems puts me off rebuilding... although I can understand the trepidation involved in giving your car a new engine which itself is an unknown quantity, unless you can find someone who will warranty a replacement engine.

Edited by brillomaster

I think to be saying that because there is a small amount of metal filings in the oil, the engine is destined to go bang immediately, is perhaps jumping the gun a little. There are many reasons why this could happen and there are many companies making and selling magnetic sump plugs to catch the filings so clearly it is to be expected in some instances. Talk of stop driving immediately as you're a danger to other road users and your car is about to explode at any second just come across as scaremongering. Get it checked out and go from there.

I think to be saying that because there is a small amount of metal filings in the oil, the engine is destined to go bang immediately, is perhaps jumping the gun a little. There are many reasons why this could happen and there are many companies making and selling magnetic sump plugs to catch the filings so clearly it is to be expected in some instances. Talk of stop driving immediately as you're a danger to other road users and your car is about to explode at any second just come across as scaremongering. Get it checked out and go from there.

So how would you translate the following symptoms.... Smoking badly on load, and metal filings in the sump, in my experience both are cause for concern, ring damage can result in seizure/broken con rods etc, and unless the metal in the sump is very very fine and hardly viable, anything more and your looking at pick up on the white metal bearing of the crank or big ends, the OP has already stated that it only had 3lt of oil in it, so it has undoubtedly been starved of oil.

I certainly wouldn't be risking driving it for any distance without at least pooping a bearing shell off (he did say the mechanic dropped the sump) and running a compression and leak down test on it, so i think advising him not to drive it, on the grounds it could seize/drop it oil over the tyres and potentially cause an accident if not being over cautions.

I guess you would drive it until it went bang then?

Oh and magnetic sump plugs are designed to pick up ferrous metal and not white metal from bearings.

• Like 1

How many girlfriends :lol:

Surprised the GLO didn't spot that :)

I'm at work ... Not allowed social media

• Like 2

Tricky, you're now making assumptions on what metal he found. It could be from anything! I'm not saying its definitely not damaged but people are wading in with comments about stop driving immediately and buy a new engine. I would bet these same people would not do this if it were their own car, they'd simply take it to a garage to have it looked at in hope it was nothing major. Let's not fill the poor sods head with doom just yet

Exactly, you don't know. I don't know. No-one knows. For the balance of driving a car that is smoking like crazy and risking the worst against not driving it, it's nothing more than common sense to leave it on the drive.

If nothing else, it will prevent further damage being done and so make the bill slightly cheaper, no?

Exactly, you don't know. I don't know. No-one knows. For the balance of driving a car that is smoking like crazy and risking the worst against not driving it, it's nothing more than common sense to leave it on the drive.

If nothing else, it will prevent further damage being done and so make the bill slightly cheaper, no?

Exactly, if it were mine it wouldn't be going anywhere.

Tricky, you're now making assumptions on what metal he found. It could be from anything! I'm not saying its definitely not damaged but people are wading in with comments about stop driving immediately and buy a new engine. I would bet these same people would not do this if it were their own car, they'd simply take it to a garage to have it looked at in hope it was nothing major. Let's not fill the poor sods head with doom just yet

No i am making an educated guess! i have worked on, built and tuned engines on and off for the last 45 years, which i think qualifies me to make a reasonably educated guess. ;)

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Wow.. some interesting opinions (concerning and heavy at that) I dont think ill be buying a recon. Not to say there aren't some good engines out there but I feel that it's not the route i want to take. Better the devil you know??

I don't think it's fair to say I've entirely ruined my engine i find it a little insensitive haha! noticed my oil was low when I drained it yes but I bet some of you guys have had the same problem on the QT. I've also spent an absolute fortune on premium oil and changed it religiously since purchase, servicing the car every 6 months.

I'm still looking at my options I know I have a few to go on right now.

I've decided to SORN the car until I can move on the rebuild, it was a hard choice but I've taken the forums advice on that and I thank you for it. I'll keep you all posted ;)

Oh, and I have one girlfriend hahaha!!

Matt