Smoking like trooper overfilled!

Spatt

Hi folks,

So i got an oil warning light under heavy breaking i figure this isn't the end of the world but still not good!!!! Arrgh! I immediately pulled over and tipped 1Ltr of oil i had in the boot into the car.

I checked the oil level using the dipstick and i wasn't sure if i had enough in so when i got home i opened up a brand new 5L container of Titan Race Pro S checked the oil level (still not sure) and started glugging it in.

When i fired it up oil pressure looked pretty good and it was only as i was driving around i got a strong smell of oil... Thought at first i'd spilled some but not likely.. every time i floor it to the limiter the oil pressure rockets (not to max but high enough for me to think its not normal) and i get a nice big blue smoke cloud at the exhaust which isn't doing my nice clean nismo tips any good!

so it isn't smoking on start up or part throttle.... only when up near the limiter with the throttle fully open. a blip on the down shifts cause a little cough too!

I'm just about to buy some oil so i can service it again this weekend and i figure its the only way i can be 100% sure how much bloody oil is in the car!! Hopefully this smoke should go away right or am i looking at a serious problemo

cheers,

Matt

Not CEL theres an actual oil light. looks like a oil filling can (RED) it came on under braking and went off straight away.. i figure it was becuase of the oil moving forward and dropping under the sensor.

i haven't driven the car since and i only intend to drive it to the nearest ramp once my order arrives from opie oils

to be honest, i'd drain it all out and start again tbh... remember you want to be reading the dipstick when the engine is stone cold and on a level surface, obviously. should be relatively easy to tell where the level is under those circumstances.

once the car is good and cold try and get a reading, may take a few tries but keep at it!

• Like 1

thanks guys, oil ordered and garage ramp booked,

I'll drop out the oil thats in and let you laugh at how much i overfilled it by hehe

I haven't actually checked it since i suspect i overfilled it (Just noticed pressure was up a bit) Its not an easy task as my drive is on a slope and i dont fancy leaving it on the street over night in case it gets knocked

Are you saying you had no idea what the oil level is/was, so just kept chucking oil in?!

Too much oil is worse than not enough in most cases. By the way, by the time the low oil light comes on your engine has suffered damage of some kind, so I'd be looking for a replacement or repair of your sooner rather than later.

Are you saying you had no idea what the oil level is/was, so just kept chucking oil in?!

Too much oil is worse than not enough in most cases. By the way, by the time the low oil light comes on your engine has suffered damage of some kind, so I'd be looking for a replacement or repair of your sooner rather than later.

Harbinger of death tonight Dan

:lol:

• Like 2

Ekona, I'm sure you enjoyed that too much but it seems to be your thing. Thanks for the "heads up" I'll start applying for credit cards while I wait for my engine to explode.

I'm not actually sure it's been overfilled yet but it was definitely low which is annoying since I service it every 6 month with fresh oil. Muse be burning it quite a bit now :(

Holding onto the possibility that this will all just go away but I know I'm clutching at straws and what ever is going on will probably need to be fixed and it's likely to be expensive (which is great news after just getting a mortgage)

Ramps booked for tomorrow Brillomaster i'll defo be coming straight back here to let you know exactly how much i overfilled it by though :thumbs: you and Ekona can have a fit of giggles at the hilarity of it all.

On a serious note i actually dont know what the damage is going to be (if any) but i believe its pretty common for the engines to run low on oil and this causes bottom end failure. I'll have a chat with my mechanic tomorrow and see if i need to do anything now or wait and see if things get worse

That cheap dipstick though :rant:

I don't find it funny when great cars break because the owner did something silly. I actually find it quite depressing :(

Don't get me wrong, I hope you got lucky and just get to consider it a lesson learned on basic car maintenance, I really do. And yes, the dipstick is crap! :lol:

I actually don't have a problem with the dipstick anymore, found the trick seems to be to clean the "ski jump" so that it's easy to see and pay attention to the way the stick came out and make sure it goes back in the same orientation. It really is easy as you can actually see the silver brightness of the "ski jump" and know exactly where to offer the stick. Hope you get it sorted Matt without too much bother, we all make mistakes at one point or another and we're not all perfect like Dan😉

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

It wasn't overfilled. My mechanic checked my oil level for me before we dropped it and it looked very high on the dipstick.

We dropped the oil out to find approx 3 ltrs had come out :blush: very confused now....

Filled back up with Motul 8100 5w30 changed oil filter ect....

I measured out 4.7 ltrs into a measuring jug and chucked that in. I checked the dipstick and managed (roughly) to see that it was on the marks :thumbs:

Once i fired it up it wasn't smoking and running nice but as soon as i touch the throttle now anything half throttle or more at 2K rpm its smoking really really badly

Long story short and by the power of deduction the piston rings are shot and i need a rebuild

I'm going to try a thicker oil and an oil stabiliser such as "Lucas heavy duty oil stabiliser" and hopfully this will see me through for a couple of months while i try and get some funds together. What ever has happened has happened pretty quick and iv'e noticed a little drop in power and smoothness for sure.

If anyone has anything constructive to offer please post up, this is quite sad news as i'm sure you'll understand.

Matt

Well that sucks :(

Tbh I think you're going to need to move a bit quicker on this really, as driving around with a smoking car is not only likely to get a tug from the police, but also it's quite hazardous for other road users. Plus if it's burning that much oil (and it certainly sounds like it is) then it's not impossible that you could get a catastrophic failure with the engine suddenly seizing up: At speed, that could be incredibly nasty.

Do you have another car you can use in the meantime? Or could you go and buy a cheap snotter for a couple of hundred quid to at least get the 350 off the roads until you've got the funds to fix it?