Who came from an FTO?

Floydbax

Following on from the 'Best previous car' thread, I've not read through it all yet but seems a lot of us have come from FTO's. Just wondering how many :lol:

Mine was a red '95 GPX Manual. Had it for 14 years of wonderful, trouble free, screaming V6 motoring until the subframe rusted away. Shame as the body and interior were pretty much perfect and the engine had only done 65000 Km :blush: mostly at 8500 RPM :lol: - So how many of us on here came from FTO's? :teeth:

My then girlfriend had a FTO GPX auto back when I had my Zed

Man, I hated every sodding thing to do with that car. I used to spend half my leave under the bonnet fixing yet another issue with the thing. Yet she would not bloody sell it.

• Like 2

Back in 05 this was on my longish shortlist of cars to move onto after my Honda Prelude.

Lovely shape especially the models with th deeper front spoiler.

Personally I think the shape is as timeless as an RX7 or NSX despite being outclassed performance wise.

No experience of them here. It's a car that's never caught my attention up until recently, saw a heavily modded one on the road not long ago and it looked awesome. It was full on show car standard, changed my opinion on them somewhat, they certainly have potential. Are they all n/a?

Well to answer a couple of questions.

The power weight ect is the same as the Toyota/Subaru GT86 thingy (20 years before this was made) but the FTO was FWD, not that you would notice, you could still encourage the back end out or a 4 wheel drift through the twists. It won some Japanese award for best handling car in its day. There were 3 engines, an 1800 4 pot and 2 V6's one with Mivec (Mitsubishi's answer to VTEC). There wasn't a lot you could actually do to free up more power. A decent full exhaust and popcharger and aircon delete added maybe 10/15% more but it was fast enough for its age. I was probably saved from being banned by the fact you could actually enjoy the screaming V6 without getting too far into license losing territory. Mine did amazing MPG, one trip up through Germany saw 41mpg @ a steady 108mph !! That's just on cam in fifth, amazing, it was a bit of a shock to come to my Zed where I get 12 :wacko: - Amy with the light blue roadster had a famous (in FTO circles) green modded one called Kermit if I remember :lol:

• Like 2

My last Jap/performance car was an FTO, and the one before that. I had a manual GR, then a GPX. Both ace cars, only sold due to lack of use. Recently spoke to the guy who bought it off me, he said he had 4 good years out of it but the engine suddenly blew without warning. Loved the V6, one reason I wanted the 350.

Here's my old GPX :(

IMG_2073_zpsue7siotp.jpg.8dfcceea442e0b4b1d5362dd40a31049.jpg

IMG_2070_zpsshhumhbu.jpg.6c7214e0c0a2fc949fd29c846f3e1a67.jpg

IMG_2089_zpsjfa63cjc.jpg.0565e231a8e606ffbe11e8a6ed9a7727.jpg

59614ac5ca5db_interior2_zpsuqfpyfln.jpg.a520cd8d60d316474c97215f7b00dca8.jpg

Edited by cob1980
Images

Me too

had GPX mivec ,silver "P" reg was good car never had a problem in 4 years of driving (only changed because of 120000 miles) ,came from a Prelude 2.2 vtec and a Silvia 1.8 turbo

all good cars in their day imo ! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...