motorway driving

garygranite

drove yorkshire to Surrey yesterday A1/M1/M25/A3 the driving got worse the further south I got, there were 3 or 4 absolute twats weaving across 4 lanes undertaking overtaking, cutting people up...one of those very few times you're praying for an unmarked car.

with lane hogging sometimes I like to get to the point where you'd almost undertake, pull out behind hogging car, overtake on the correct side and then move back into my original lane just to see if they get the hint

• Like 1

drove yorkshire to Surrey yesterday A1/M1/M25/A3 the driving got worse the further south I got, there were 3 or 4 absolute twats weaving across 4 lanes undertaking overtaking, cutting people up...one of those very few times you're praying for an unmarked car.

with lane hogging sometimes I like to get to the point where you'd almost undertake, pull out behind hogging car, overtake on the correct side and then move back into my original lane just to see if they get the hint

The A3 is a shocker for middle laners, its the most bizarre thing, I might take a video next time I am out to demo it - you can be driving along on the inside lane and far into the distance a stream of cars all in the middle lane. Occasionally one will pull out and then sit in the outside lane doing the same speed...it really makes the mind boggle.

I notice this all the time. I live in yorkshire with the bulk of my family in Sussex. As I get further and further down the M1 driving gets worse. M25 is full of idiots a lot of the time, and then the A24 through Dorking is even worse. Partners family live in Kent, and it's the same story as you get further down the A1, M11 and then the M2. Although to be fair on the M2 it's almost never people holding you up as I swear the speed limit down there must be over a ton based on what I see.

had a really crap one yesterday coming back from east on the a12, got stuck behind a lorry, one limited to 60, one limited to 62!! mr 62 before we got there had moved over on a slight incline to overtake mr 60! 3 miles later, they still side by side, neither was getting anywhere ffs. 5 miles it took!

had a really crap one yesterday coming back from east on the a12, got stuck behind a lorry, one limited to 60, one limited to 62!! mr 62 before we got there had moved over on a slight incline to overtake mr 60! 3 miles later, they still side by side, neither was getting anywhere ffs. 5 miles it took!

Should be a fine and points for them imo. Seen more traffic caused by these bell ends than anything else.

I'm also going to add...some people's inability to use sliproads correctly. I don't know whether it's just lack of confidence or a lack of understanding that the idea of a slip road is to smoothly merge rather than treat it as a junction pretty much

Just tried to join the a3, fairly quiet flowing traffic at 60-70, nice long sweeping slip road, car in front hits the brakes 40 to 30 to 20 (clear inside lane at this point) I'm gaining quite rapidly now so beep at her as we're leaving the slip road doing less than 20mph...what does she do.... STOP! gets on the brakes and comes to a dead stop sitting on a dual carriageway with cars coming up behind us. I was fuming at the total stupidity of it all

• Like 1

I'm also going to add...some people's inability to use sliproads correctly. I don't know whether it's just lack of confidence or a lack of understanding that the idea of a slip road is to smoothly merge rather than treat it as a junction pretty much

Just tried to join the a3, fairly quiet flowing traffic at 60-70, nice long sweeping slip road, car in front hits the brakes 40 to 30 to 20 (clear inside lane at this point) I'm gaining quite rapidly now so beep at her as we're leaving the slip road doing less than 20mph...what does she do.... STOP! gets on the brakes and comes to a dead stop sitting on a dual carriageway with cars coming up behind us. I was fuming at the total stupidity of it all

Get exactly the same thing on a13 near mine. Always the same slip. People look in their mirrors see a car and crap themselves!! Slam on the brakes whilst the 4 cars behind then have to swerve to miss them!!

I've recently been to Devon a couple of times this month and last and the way driving standards change is crazy.

Going M25(Southbound) heading to Basingstoke, people don't seem to know how to drive.

Joining the A303 from Basingstoke all the way to Devon, the average speed of traffic must have been about 90mph no joke.

On that note, people have to check the route, A303 Basingstoke to Devon. it has some amazing roads of all kinds, truly a great route I must say.

You haven't seen slip road fail until you've been round the Coventry ring road!

It's known as 'Elephant racing' :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah the slip road thing winds me up no end. These people obviously haven't got adequate ability to be allowed to drive in any sane society if they can't use a slip road to get up to the speed of the road they're joining.

I'm driving a hot hatchback so following the driving manual for said car I tend to do this on motorways....

-----_ _ _-----_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _---------_ _ _-----_ _ _ _

------_ _ _ _---- -----_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _------

-----_ _ _ _ _ _ _------

....until I get home or pulled over by the 5-0. :lol:

Edited by GMballistic
Stupid computer, it worked on my screen. Zig & zag in & out of traffic.
  • Like 1

Bump.Interesting reading through this thread.Before I left the uk I used to do a lot of Safetycar work for MSV at Brands.Often leaving Cambridge at 6 in the morning to arrive by 7.Sometimes just the Saturday others Sat and Sunday.

Everytime I would be approaching Harlow and there would be an Audi A2 being driven at 70 mph by a young black girl in the third lane with the other two being totally clear!! I lost count of how many times I would sit behind her for a short distance,right indicator on-made no difference whatsoever.I still wonder if she EVER got caught by the police or if she is still driving like a single celled being.

Bump.Interesting reading through this thread.Before I left the uk I used to do a lot of Safetycar work for MSV at Brands.Often leaving Cambridge at 6 in the morning to arrive by 7.Sometimes just the Saturday others Sat and Sunday.

Everytime I would be approaching Harlow and there would be an Audi A2 being driven at 70 mph by a young black girl in the third lane with the other two being totally clear!! I lost count of how many times I would sit behind her for a short distance,right indicator on-made no difference whatsoever.I still wonder if she EVER got caught by the police or if she is still driving like a single celled being.

Right indicator on is a great German technique that is completely ignored in the UK.

Lane Discipline is a great German technique that is completely ignored in the UK.

EFA :lol:

Right indicator on is a great German technique that is completely ignored in the UK.

right indicator on means you're an arse - I know you're there and I will get out of the way as soon as i can anyway ..... now you're just pissing me off

right indicator on means you're an arse - I know you're there and I will get out of the way as soon as i can anyway ..... now you're just pissing me off

You only use it if you know they can get out your way and haven't done it for some reason (not paying attention etc.). I wouldn't sit behind you with it on for no reason.