motorway driving

garygranite

I'm fed up with people not indicating at round-a-bouts. w@nkers.

I would just like the government to do two road safety campaigns this year:

1) Indicators aren't optional

2) Sidelights: not just there so that you have to turn a switch twice

I think we need a huge cull on the roads, basically British drivers are ignorant, arrogant and they show no consideration to other road uses, no indicating, middle and right hand lane hogs, tailgating etc etc

Its a shame the Police dont focus as much attention to bad driving as they do speeding, with all the cameras on m ways these days it would be so easy to spot middle/outside lane hogs, tailgaters

• Like 2

i think sidelights should only be able to switch on when the handbrake is on, since they're for when you are parked! And foglights should only be able to come on when the dipped headlights are already on. None of this sidelights and foglights being on when its bright sunlight nonsense.

i think sidelights should only be able to switch on when the handbrake is on, since they're for when you are parked! And foglights should only be able to come on when the dipped headlights are already on. None of this sidelights and foglights being on when its bright sunlight nonsense.

so important i said it twice.

Edited by brillomaster

I think we need a huge cull on the roads, basically British drivers are ignorant, arrogant and they show no consideration to other road uses, no indicating, middle and right hand lane hogs, tailgating etc etc

Its a shame the Police dont focus as much attention to bad driving as they do speeding, with all the cameras on m ways these days it would be so easy to spot middle/outside lane hogs, tailgaters

Blanket speed limits, as much as I dislike them, are the most simple way to control traffic. It's far more complicated and 'grey' to determine sloppy driving than it is speeding.

Although I'd welcome it there won't be any huge cull either, as it would be disastrous for the economy.

Yeah I appreciate that, but how many cars do you reckon the cctv crew watch cruising down the middle lane with nothing to their left for as far as the eye can see, as an example, I bet its as many as speeding drivers, 3 points and a fine is going to help the ecomony :)

think sidelights should only be able to switch on when the handbrake is on, since they're for when you are parked! And foglights should only be able to come on when the dipped headlights are already on. None of this sidelights and foglights being on when its bright sunlight nonsense.

*Cough*

4. Lighting requirements (113 to 116)

You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

*Cough*

not sure what you're getting at there? the problem isnt people not having them on when its dark, its the idiots who drive around with sidelights and foglights on when its bright sunlight.

if its dark, put main beams on. if its light, then dont. if you are parked at night, use sidelights. Thats the ONLY acceptable time to use sidelights.

if sidelights were linked to the handbrake that would alleviate the problem of people using sidelights as DRLs.

not sure what you're getting at there? the problem isnt people not having them on when its dark, its the idiots who drive around with sidelights and foglights on when its bright sunlight.

if its dark, put main beams on. if its light, then dont. if you are parked at night, use sidelights. Thats the ONLY acceptable time to use sidelights.

if sidelights were linked to the handbrake that would alleviate the problem of people using sidelights as DRLs

You need headlights on when its raining, snowing or foggy and most importantly in twilight. It's not going to help you see any better but, it will help people to see you. What cars need are lights that come on automatically when the light level declines to a certain point, they've used this technology for years in cricket and indeed The Z4 Caroline owned had a manual version that you switched on when you got in the car. Generally speaking most people have got the message but there is a hardcore of those who refuse to put any lights on until its almost pitch black (mainly 4x4's in Black)

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Bump.Interesting reading through this thread.Before I left the uk I used to do a lot of Safetycar work for MSV at Brands.Often leaving Cambridge at 6 in the morning to arrive by 7.Sometimes just the Saturday others Sat and Sunday.

Everytime I would be approaching Harlow and there would be an Audi A2 being driven at 70 mph by a young black girl in the third lane with the other two being totally clear!! I lost count of how many times I would sit behind her for a short distance,right indicator on-made no difference whatsoever.I still wonder if she EVER got caught by the police or if she is still driving like a single celled being.

Right indicator on is a great German technique that is completely ignored in the UK.

right indicator on means you're an arse - I know you're there and I will get out of the way as soon as i can anyway ..... now you're just pissing me off

You only use it if you know they can get out your way and haven't done it for some reason (not paying attention etc.). I wouldn't sit behind you with it on for no reason.

The indicator on while in the outside lane, on the continent, is also used to let drivers that might come up behind you on long empty highways, know that you are aware you are in the overtaking lane and are in fact overtaking (usually at around the speed limit -as opposed to anyone who comes up behind you going faster but also faster than legal).

Bump.Interesting reading through this thread.Before I left the uk I used to do a lot of Safetycar work for MSV at Brands.Often leaving Cambridge at 6 in the morning to arrive by 7.Sometimes just the Saturday others Sat and Sunday.

Everytime I would be approaching Harlow and there would be an Audi A2 being driven at 70 mph by a young black girl in the third lane with the other two being totally clear!! I lost count of how many times I would sit behind her for a short distance,right indicator on-made no difference whatsoever.I still wonder if she EVER got caught by the police or if she is still driving like a single celled being.

Right indicator on is a great German technique that is completely ignored in the UK.

right indicator on means you're an arse - I know you're there and I will get out of the way as soon as i can anyway ..... now you're just pissing me off

You only use it if you know they can get out your way and haven't done it for some reason (not paying attention etc.). I wouldn't sit behind you with it on for no reason.

The indicator on while in the outside lane, on the continent, is also used to let drivers that might come up behind you on long empty highways, know that you are aware you are in the overtaking lane and are in fact overtaking (usually at around the speed limit -as opposed to anyone who comes up behind you going faster but also faster than legal).

The first time I drove in France it took me a while to realise why everyone was indicating while overtaking. But it's actually pretty handy because as you said, you know the car is only overtaking and will move back into the next lane as soon as they've passed. A lot better than trying to guess what people on UK roads are going to do next!

The first time I drove in France it took me a while to realise why everyone was indicating while overtaking. But it's actually pretty handy because as you said, you know the car is only overtaking and will move back into the next lane as soon as they've passed. A lot better than trying to guess what people on UK roads are going to do next!

No guessing required, they are going to stay there, until the end of time!

• Like 1

No guessing required, they are going to stay there, until the end of time!

Hahaha so true!!