Keysers Radical SR3

Keyser

Hi all,

Welcome to the beginning of what will hopefully be a fun filled journey as we track and restore my aging ex-race Radical SR3

For those that don't know I picked the radical up in late November 2014 but due to family problems and a garage rebuild she only saw a handful of track days in 2015.

So after being stuck on the trailer in a secure compound for 8 months we got her into the Zed Shed II for a once over before the 2016 track season starts.

The idea for this year is to maintain her and do a few mods/improvements and hopefully a substantial rebuild at the end of the year if all goes well.

Moving on to Part 1.

The Battery Saga :lol:

The problem -

S1051438_zpskajzyf4i.jpg

Yes it appears the battery in the Radical is not the one that should be there but apart from being a bit sluggish to start when hot it's been fine, I was never overly impressed with the zip ties to hold it in though :)

The battery was completely dead and the tray has seen better days

S1051423_zpsfwqhnht6.jpg

So I thought I'd make a new one to fit the nice new bigger better battery I recently purchased.

I had this to work with

S1051424_zps6f7zf5mz.jpg

made a nice square bit with the aid of "robocop" the milling machine

S1051427_zps588ugxg0.jpg

I drew some lines

S1051428_zpsd1nj68yu.jpg

and more

S1051426_zpsd7bxeoem.jpg

:lol:

Had a play with the hole cutter I got for Christmas

S1051430_zpsgcksn38f.jpg

S1051431_zpszvqoa3pi.jpg

Quick trip to the bending thingy

S1051432_zpssitkflnx.jpg

Made some ends

S1051433_zps9psgqxxx.jpg

welded it together (my ally welding is in need of a lot of practice trust me!!! )

S1051434_zps9hkpvr3z.jpg

Made a strap

S1051436_zpsyijj2u17.jpg

Off to powder coating

S1051437_zpsrsuhxyoa.jpg

Finished up like this

S1051439_zps9aagf0qc.jpg

and finally mounted in the engine bay :thumbs:

S1051441_zpsoo24co3b.jpg

Next up is the flappy paddle pro shifter and the 3 days it took me to make a throttle blipper assembly (that's what I did Easter weekend)

Hope you enjoyed it

Keyser. :teeth:

• Like 9

Booked Bedford if you reckon you will be ready buddy :)

Still not sure depends on this weekend before I book but hoping to make it mate :thumbs:

Nice work Chris, was the alloy welding with the TIG?

No Leon I have an AC TiG that I am still very much learning on I'm better at MiG on mild steel my TiG on mild steel is coming along but ally is still a dark art!!!

Evening again,

So as promised the flappy paddle pro-shifter and throttle blipper install.

When I bought the Radical the guy gave me the pro-shifter kit for it (also available from the Radical website for a mere £6,000 inc tax :scare: )

Link - https://www.radicalo...-Shift-Kit.html

Now it has to be good at that price! He said he could,t get on with it and had had problems with the throttle blipper but I wasn't going to turn it down so I put the box in the back of the car and thought I must fit it back on, the wiring loon, ECU and flappy paddles are all still fitted so it can't be that hard.

The problem is there is no-where to attach the throttle blipper, well no where that I could find or that would seem to work well - maybe that was the problem he had had :shrug:

So you can buy all the replacement parts from Radical but the design has changed on the SR3.

Pro-shift still sell the same blipper but without the adapter to fit the Radical - Refer to RPE (Radical Performance Engineering) so I did but they have the new model that is completely different the same one that is on the Radical web site!

O I give up I'll just make one :thumbs:

So the first hurdle to overcome is finding something for the bilipper - which is basically a solenoid with a flex pipe and a wire coming out of it - to push against that will open the butterflys in the quad inlets.

Now this is the end of the inlet manifold -

S1051452_zpsmjgtvwaa.jpg

So my solution was to take a nut and bolt, half fill the nut with weld and file flat like so -

S1051453_zpsio0ffhn2.jpg

take the bolt and place it on the nut the wrong way round, weld the two together and run them through the lathe -

S1051454_zpsqvxyqrv9.jpg

That now fits the end of the inlet -

S1051455_zpsjdlmj0ur.jpg

Two bits of ally and a milling machine

S1051456_zpsoaxvua9f.jpg

Design 1 -

S1051458_zps3ztiu9o4.jpg

The cup I just bent a bit of steel round a bar and welded the top closed

The theory is good but the blipper is not strong enough to push the 4 butterflies against the return springs :(

Design 2

S1051459_zpsutods3q5.jpg

Works but the bar is to long and may foul the air inlet and the amount of movement on the butterflies is very small due to the length.

Design 3

I Forgot to take a pic :doh:

It's halfway between and works fine on the bench

so we now have a throttle blipper installation kit -

S1051460_zpsqkcyiqbu.jpg

and here it is installed

S1051461_zpsosdkahfo.jpg

Best of all it works so now when you downshift on the paddles the engine revs - it's like the syncro rev in the 370 but more mechanical :lol:

Next up will be the solenoid mounting and the quick shifter another solenoid only bigger and connected to the gear lever :thumbs:

The above may not look that much but took me most of the Easter weekend, but I had great fun doing it - I do love to fabricate and play with all my big boy toys :lol::thumbs:

Keyser

• Like 2

I love your perseverance, most would have given up at the first hurdle. But then most of us don't have the skills to fabricate something from scratch without some form of template.

Keep up the good work and the posts.

Ifor you post up when you are taking this on the track, I for one would come along.

• Like 1

Good evening,

Something a little more light hearted tonight :)

My long suffering wife is a bit of a petrol head on the side and quite often comes along to track days, she has driven the Radical once but say's she is not confident as she can't reach the pedals and if she slides that far down she can't see where she is going :lol:

Now the seat is not very adjustable and it's a big job anyway but I sat her in the car to look at just how much of a problem we had, (the seat has about 3" of movement)

S1051467_zpsjumoidhl.jpg

now this is quite a big problem .....

So ..............

Rusty old bar

S1051473_zpsp9wjpvv3.jpg

more rusty bar

S1051470_zpsivgwj4sx.jpg

a bolt

S1051471_zpsearnqg5y.jpg

lathe

S1051472_zpsoy9t34hm.jpg

a milling machine