Ribbed for purchasing bad handler :D

GranTurismoEra

I was wondering what your opinions are on the handling of this car the DE. I havent pushed it to its limits as there arent many places bar a track to do that without getting killed. i was "hated on" for purchasing a bad handler. I shut the convo down by asking him how many times hes been to the dealer lol

I think maybe some people cant tell the difference between a 350 and a 370z, I had a feeling he was referring to the 370z Nismo that just came out, which apparently his mate had for all of a week and returned on a whim after asking his opinion (because he lacked grapefruits to be his own man) and probably did what every lemon does, Bought a bmw sedan or a merc diesel lump instead of living a little. So what are your opinions on the handling. I assumed all rear wheel drives kick out at the back when driven silly. What makes this any diff?

ps also people cant tell a GT from an out and out track car. Then when you expose them, they backtrack and talk about day to day. With a few mods (remap, suspension set up, spacers, CAI, exhaust) you can convert this to a track car similar to the s2000's Geometry Mods which transform the car, we all agree from the factory it isnt a straight out track car right?

Loving the car so far, love the noise, Moral of the story do what you want, but live a little lol

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Overweight, underpowered and cheap interior are some justifiable Zed jibes; but I wouldn't have thought the handling was. That's not to say there aren't plenty of better handling cars but for a sporty GT there's plenty to love in an OEM 350z.

If it's good enough for Sir Tiff...

From 3:00 if you don't want to watch the whole thing!

• Like 2

I would say handling is one of the few things the Z is actually very good at. It's excellently balanced, and has a very surprising amount of mechanical grip.

Before the Z, my favourite car I've owned was my BMW 528i Sport (E39)... a saloon famous for being perfectly balanced, often quoted as the best saloon ever made. The handling of the Z is right up there with that.

I guess people need to remember its just not a sports car.

Out of the box it is a great drivers car for the road.

Too heavy for serious track work and gets expensive on tyres and brakes, but with the right mods and if stripped out if kept for that purpose it clearly has appealed to many.

What has also come across over the years is that those who have really tested the strength of the car have by-in-large got away with just minor injuries (OK some have not but then the extent of their accident was just too severe).

For me both the 350 and 370 proved effortless cruisers having done many trips up and down the country to enjoy some of the best driving roads in the country and that is why I bought and enjoyed the 3 Zeds I owned. And comfortable too for my 6'2" frame that is now well into its sixth decade :blush:

• Like 1

I like the road manners of the 350, it's a nice planted well balanced chassis that responds best to smooth driving much like any rear driver. Yes it can be provoked if desired but the steering feel and throttle respond very well when it does so. It's a car that deserves respect when driving and makes you work a little harder than throwing around a hot hatch with FWD and it's that driver involvement I like.

As a petrolhead it ticks an awful lot of boxes for me.

• Like 3

I like the handling on my zed. It depends what you want I guess - it's never going to handle like an Ariel Atom, but then that's not the idea.

What specific handling traits were being criticised?

loool, the back end and keeping it on the road. He compared to a GT2 Porsche which he reckoned handled better despite the heavy rear end.

For me it's the best combination of HP/£ AND motorway-ready response, comfort for day-to-day but still perfectly capable in winding roads.

You can get more powerful or faster cars, cars that'll go round corners quicker, and cars that keep up with it that are more 'sensible', but none of them are as reliable, cheap to buy, cheap to run (relative, of course), attractive (IMO), and can eat up the mileage in such comfort as the 350z.

S2000? Too revvy and costs more for an equivalent age and mileage. Subaru STi? Have you sat in one for 80 miles a day? Also more expensive for equivalent age and mileage. BMW anything? Have fun when that inevitably goes wrong (because all cars have their moments).

Most people who slag my car off haven't driven one, are jealous, or are just being dicks. It's not to some people's tastes and that's different, the Clio 182 sport belonging to my friend is absolutely not to my taste, but I don't hate on it because he loves it and it's perfect for him haha.

• Like 1

I like the handling on my zed. It depends what you want I guess - it's never going to handle like an Ariel Atom, but then that's not the idea.

What specific handling traits were being criticised?

loool, the back end and keeping it on the road. He compared to a GT2 Porsche which he reckoned handled better despite the heavy rear end.

The Porsche will be better under power because the weight of the engine over the rear wheels gives you more traction. On the flipside, during hard cornering the 'pendulum effect' of the engine at the back can make things tricky, although from what I've read Porsche have largely engineered that out of the 911 these days.

Oh and with regards to the GT2, it's worth remembering the price of those things so you would expect a higher level of chassis development, but my points re weight distribution still stand.

Edited by BobbyZ

Haters are either dumb or jelous folks - period

he wasnt a fan of the GTR either knocked the cheapish interior, most of the people criticizing know zilch about cars. Hes got a diesel lump Heavy weighing in at 1805 KG only driven sporadically here and there, lets not debate handling. 300-400 ft lb of torque with 7 gears needed to push the lump :lol:, The superiority complex kicked in really fast. I deleted all social media a while back and tbh only my younger brother and best mate know I have it lol. :lol:

Edited by GranTurismoEra

For me it's the best combination of HP/£ AND motorway-ready response, comfort for day-to-day but still perfectly capable in winding roads.

You can get more powerful or faster cars, cars that'll go round corners quicker, and cars that keep up with it that are more 'sensible', but none of them are as reliable, cheap to buy, cheap to run (relative, of course), attractive (IMO), and can eat up the mileage in such comfort as the 350z.

S2000? Too revvy and costs more for an equivalent age and mileage. Subaru STi? Have you sat in one for 80 miles a day? Also more expensive for equivalent age and mileage. BMW anything? Have fun when that inevitably goes wrong (because all cars have their moments).

Most people who slag my car off haven't driven one, are jealous, or are just being dicks. It's not to some people's tastes and that's different, the Clio 182 sport belonging to my friend is absolutely not to my taste, but I don't hate on it because he loves it and it's perfect for him haha.

omg this guy had a 182 too, clocked 60,000 was in immaculate condition when sold last year. I did drive it driving position was van like. Set up was nice and drove and handled well. But it must have been inn the dealer a fair few times. Car wasnt really pushed it was literally babied around. Yea when I was younger it was the choice car and suprised a few mk 4 gti boys but then the Type R came and I didnt hear much about it anymore. Good for him, not to my tastes. va va voom. :lol:

As above, A GT2 vs a sub £10k Zed, is he seriously comparing that? Just say in response that the Mercedes F1 car handles miles better than the GT2 and much quicker too so there...

350z is what it is, a relatively low cost GT car, I know for a fact I would rather be in a Zed than my Celica on the drive up to Scotland for a trip with some Zedders in May but can imagine some of the roads in Scotland will suit my Celica more with its 4WD and chassis. But its horses for courses, the Zed is a GT car that handles pretty well in the twisties probably better than people who just read the stats on the internet think it does.

The z handles well from the off and isnt overweight when compared to similar cars (m3 for example). I think some of the problem with the z is the alignment makes it feel heavier than it is

Nissan ran the z in gt300 and gt500 so it cant be 'that' bad to start with lol

I would say in a perfect world its carrying to much weight for its output, but i dont think it handles badly due to weight which seems a common theme on here.