First Middle Lane Hog Convicted

Stutopia

There was much rejoicing when the £100 fines were announced last year, now someone's tasted the long shaft of the law. Looks like they've really gone for it with this one too, 5 points and a gorilla fine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11690110/Motorist-becomes-first-convicted-of-hogging-motorway-middle-lane.html

A motorist has been fined almost £1,000 and hit with five penalty points after becoming the first person in the country to be convicted in court of hogging the middle lane of a motorway. The driver, who was behind the wheel of a Citroen Berlingo van, was stopped by police in West Yorkshire, after persistently refusing to move out of the central lane of the busy M62. Traffic police said six drivers were forced to brake and swerve to overtake the vehicle, which was travelling along the eastbound carriageway near Huddersfield on August 25 last year. Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard that the driver had numerous opportunities to move into the inside lane but failed to do so. Instead he was said to have driven in an “inconsiderate manner” for several miles, causing inconvenience to other road users. The driver failed to turn up to court and was fined £500 in his absence and ordered to pay £400 in costs with a £40 victim surcharge. He was also hit with five penalty points on his licence, sending out a strong message to other road users who flout the law.

• Penalty rates low for tailgaters and middle lane hogs

It is thought to be the first time a motorist has been convicted in court of a lane hogging offence since the law was changed in 2013. The Government introduced on the spot fines of £100 in an effort to deter drivers from sitting in the middle lane when there was an opportunity to pull into the left hand carriageway.

Researchers claim the problem results in a third of motorway capacity being wasted, causing congestion and traffic delays. PC Nigel Fawcett-Jones from the Road Policing Unit of West Yorkshire police said lane hogging was dangerous and caused congestion and inconvenience to other road users. He said: “It reduces the capacity of roads and motorways, and can lead to dangerous situations where other drivers 'tailgate' the vehicle in front to try and get the lane hogger to move over. "Members of the public regularly tell the Road Policing Unit that lane hogging and tailgating are real problems on our roads and this conviction shows that the police and the courts understand the public's concerns and take this offence seriously.” Figures obtained last year suggested that despite the introduction of the fines, very few drivers were being caught, with cuts in the number of traffic police being blamed for the failure to enforce the rules. A spokesman for the AA said motorists generally would welcome news that a motorist had been convicted in court for the offence. He said: “Drivers will be saying Hallelujah that finally someone has been prosecuted because lane hogging causes a huge amount of frustration. This also sends a message out to drivers who think they can get away with it that the police are clamping down.”

Where are the UK's worst spots for lane hogging? A poll of more than 2,000 drivers found 43 per cent of hoggers said they drove in the middle lane because it was an “easier way to drive” and “saves me changing lanes”. The Direct Line research released last August also disclosed the worst stretches of motorway in England for middle lane hogging.

M4 J5-J6 westbound (Slough) 27%

M1 J4-J5 southbound (Watford) 26%

M4 J7-J8/9 eastbound (Slough) 24%

M25 J4-J5 clockwise (Sevenoaks) 22%

M25 J12-J13 anti-clockwise (Cheshunt) 21%

M4 J2-J3 westbound (Brentford) 19%

M25 J18-J19 anti-clockwise (Watford) 19%

M25 J16-J17 clockwise (Gerrards Cross) 17%

M4 J5-J6 eastbound (Heathrow) 16%

M25 J16-J17 anti-clockwise (Gerrards Cross)12%

Sorry if pearoast.

if I'm in lane 1 and approaching someone in lane 2 going slower than me, if theres plenty of space in lane 1, i'll just stay there and pass on the left. but I do make sure that they look pretty happy in the middle lane before passing. I don't do it in an aggressive fashion, just keep a constant speed.

as a result of this i'd say 50% of people carry on as they were in the middle lane regardless, 45% of people realise that they should move over and do so, and 5% speed up as I pass them on the left. rarely gets any flashes or anything, I think people who hog the middle lane don't really care what side a car overtakes them on, as long as they can stay in the middle lane.

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 4

It would be much easier. Trouble is, people are idiots and if they can't even cope with the idea of keep left, they're never going to manage turn left on red. :(

Chr*st, we even have to have traffic lights on roundabouts, can you imagine the motorway lanes being opened up :lol:

Yeah it'd be mad, you're both dead right. But evolution would take its natural course!

• Like 1

It would be much easier. Trouble is, people are idiots and if they can't even cope with the idea of keep left, they're never going to manage turn left on red. :(

Turning on a red works really well . . . its the fecking roundabouts these muppets on this side of the world can't cope with . . . or as they say here "traffic circle" :angry:

oh that's why I like to make fairly sure they'll be staying in the middle lane. but I find it gets a lot less aggravation than coming up behind someone and giving them a little flash to request they move over.

If i'm in lane 1 and its clear, i'll stay in lane 1 until its not. regardless of whats going on in the other two lanes. I also don't dilly dally about when it comes to changing lanes - spot a gap, indicate and pull into gap. normally with a quick squirt of throttle so i'm now matching the speed of the lane I've moved into. or even spot a potential gap, start indicating, then when gap arrives pull into it, no fuss.

Why don't we go US style, passing all over the place and whilst we're at it, allow left turns on red.

Lane discipline in The States is much better than you would imagine. It's only when an Interstate or major highway passes through a big city that you get a free for all. For example, The Interstate 70 which passes through Denver is in places 5 lanes and with something like 20 exits you get tons of people weaving so they don't miss their exit. Turning left on red could be useful in some places but in The States with the streets laid out in blocks there isn't a visibility problem like for example the lights at the top of our lane where traffic is approaching at 60 on a bend.

Pete

Chr*st, we even have to have traffic lights on roundabouts, can you imagine the motorway lanes being opened up :lol:

Yeah it'd be mad, you're both dead right. But evolution would take its natural course!

Thats very un pc of the pc of the pc master :lol:

Long story short, on one of my previous jobs i had a bunch of traffic lighted roundabouts to go through, every day there were queues, one day there were no lights due to a power cut, guess what, no queues. I couldnt resist a call to the council, basic response was, people dont understand roundabouts any more and couldnt use them without being told when they can and cant go, i did suggest they shouldnt be on the road then. :surrender:

Turning on a red works really well . . . its the fecking roundabouts these muppets on this side of the world can't cope with . . . or as they say here "traffic circle" :angry:

I find the French system completely mad, i.e: those joining the roundabout have priority... surely the roundabout should get full and cause gridlock like that?!? But then I guess if you have roundabouts the size they do then it's not so much of an issue.

I find the French system completely mad, i.e: those joining the roundabout have priority... surely the roundabout should get full and cause gridlock like that?!? But then I guess if you have roundabouts the size they do then it's not so much of an issue.

Ahhhhhh! The joiners have right of way over there? That totally explains the dirty looks I got on the Arc De Triomphe :lol:

• Like 1

Ahhhhhh! The joiners have right of way over there? That totally explains the dirty looks I got on the Arc De Triomphe :lol:

Nah, you get dirty looks anyway, it's chaos! But yeah, in general the person on the right always has right of way (unless there's a sign saying they don't).

Someone on another forum i use has just been pulled over for undertaking a middle lane hogger. He has be slapped with dangerous driving apparently.

I'm guessing he undertook at speed instead of gradually like others do, but DD sounds quite harsh!