Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

I dont get the Farage knocking, on sky news this morning they claimed he was the most influential politician of our time, agree or disagree with him, there is no denying that. How many politicians can you say have achieved exactly what they set out to do?

• Like 1

How many politicians can you say have achieved exactly what they set out to do?

Boris... he kicked off the British media's biased reporting of EU affairs in the mid-eighties... and now he's reaping the benefits! Got to admire the man for having a 30 year vision and seeing it through ;)

I dont get the Farage knocking, on sky news this morning they claimed he was the most influential politician of our time, agree or disagree with him, there is no denying that. How many politicians can you say have achieved exactly what they set out to do?

I would say he was more likely to be the right person in the right place at the right time. The anti-European sentiment was coming Farage or no Farage (appreciate this is debatable).

I would say he was more likely to be the right person in the right place at the right time. The anti-European sentiment was coming Farage or no Farage (appreciate this is debatable).

I think you do him a disservice there buddy, more than that ferret sturgeon and salmond managed to do with regards there independence.

• Like 1

lol at the Damage control going on in here by the pro-remain posters.

Just accept you backed the wrong side and 1.2million extra people wanted to leave. Stop being so salty about it.

I refuse to accept that I backed the wrong side. I think leaving the EU is on par as an idea with America building a wall across the Mexican border. Xenophobia and ignorance have won the day, yay for Great Britain. I'm as proud to be British today as I was English last week, when a few (Probably leave voters) were hurling bottles at French riot police.

It's still to be seen what has actually been won by the leave voters, let's hope it's not a recession and higher prices for everything.

• Like 3

I think you do him a disservice there buddy, more than that ferret sturgeon and salmond managed to do with regards there independence.

Its really about how 'influential' you think he is - no doubt he has done the job, but in terms of influence I would say Salmond was a better influencer and argued his points much more thoroughly than Farage.

Screenshot_20160624-100900_zpstzmagbit.png

Seems unanimously everyone other than england wants to remain in the EU, Gibraltar was cut off that screenshot but they were 20000 votes to remain vs under 1000 to leave, I wonder how this will pan out :shrug:

Doubt it will matter. Gibraltar is a significant strategic military base for the UK. I doubt we'll hand it to Spain.

Edited by Juggalo

• Hollande said the vote would put Europe to the test: “To move forward, Europe cannot act as before.â€

• Sigmar Gabriel, the head of Germany’s Social Democrats, Merkel’s coalition partners, said the British vote was a “shrill wake-up call†for European politicians. “Whoever fails to heed it or takes refuge in the usual rituals, will drive Europe against the wall,†Gabriel said.

• The Polish foreign minister, Witold Waszczykowski, said in a statement the result showed “disillusionment with European integration, and declining trust in the EUâ€.

• Italy’s prime minister, Matteo Renzi, tweeted: “We must change it to make it more human and more just. But Europe is our home, it’s our future.â€

• Lars Loekke Rasmussen, the Danish prime minister, said Denmark “belongs in Europe†but said mounting Euroscepticism must be taken seriously.

• Turkey, whose future membership of the EU played a key role in the UK referendum campaign, cast doubt on the likelihood of it joining in the aftermath of the Brexit vote. “The European Union’s disintegration has started,†deputy prime minister Nurettin Canikli tweeted. “Britain was the first to jump ship.â€

I suspected this would give them the kick in the backside they needed. It's a pity the UK had to leave to make that epiphany happen. The ball is in the EU court now. Take heed, or fall apart.

let's hope it's not a recession and higher prices for everything.

Higher prices for sure. At the back of my house is the main Scania dealer for Wales and the North West of England. Now we no longer have our own truck manufacturers we have to buy in from abroad. Scania is a Swedish company with manufacturing plants all over Europe except of course in The U.K. Now, if the £ continues to decline Scania trucks (and the same goes for M.A.N and DAF) will become more expensive to buy, so it follows that the hauliers who buy these trucks will pass that cost onto us, the consumers and just to make it into a double whammy they'll pass on the almost certain increase in fuel price too. The thing is, we no longer have our own heavy industry that we had 30/40 years ago, we are mainly reliant on foreign companies both from Europe and outside of it. The companies that are the largest employers around here are Airbus, Toyota, Kimberly Clark, Brother, General Motors, Sharp all foreign owned. I'm afraid that lots of voters especially the older ones who voted in droves to leave will think that we can return to the so called good old days and everything will be alright as if by magic and older voters in particular have a highly inflated opinion of The U.K. We now have to hope that foreign companies will still invest here, they will do this not based on sentiment but on the profits they can make. I've heard people say, including Farage on a visit around here, that they will still need wings for the A380, well of course they will, but I pass the assembly line most days and believe me they could move production to Tolouse within a couple of years if they want to, the place is like a giant meccano set.

Pete

FTSE is back already to where it was in Feb when the referendum was annouced, I cant believe people put such an emphasis on something so volatile as if its some kind of prophecy.

3.66% down at the moment, not 7%.

Hasnt even been 24hrs yet.

Seen this?

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2016/06/24-joint-statement-uk-referendum/

"President Tusk, President Schulz and Prime Minister Rutte met this morning in Brussels upon the invitation of European Commission President Juncker.

"In a free and democratic process, the British people have expressed their wish to leave the European Union. We regret this decision but respect it.

We now expect the United Kingdom government to give effect to this decision of the British people as soon as possible, however painful that process may be. Any delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty. We have rules to deal with this in an orderly way. Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union sets out the procedure to be followed if a Member State decides to leave the European Union.

As agreed, the “New Settlement for the United Kingdom within the European Unionâ€, reached at the European Council on 18-19 February 2016, will now not take effect and ceases to exist. There will be no renegotiation."

Expect a huge influx of migrants from Eastern Europe before the borders are closed, as much as for the next 10-15 years if the UK would have voted to stay in :)

Wait, wait... another 28 minutes until Wall Street opens, but also after the weekend...

Meanwhile:

JPMorgan set to move 2,000 jobs to Frankfurt and Dublin

Please stop scare-mongering:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/morgan-stanley-brexit-eu-referendum-jobs-dublin-frankfurt-a7100911.html

I know it suits your agenda but its not helping.

• Like 2

Guess its just a time delay then, that Independant article is only 10mins old so I assume the BBC one is out-of-date in that case. I wonder why they published an unconfirmed story?

:nono:

You don't really expect integrity from the media, do you? :p

• Like 1