Brexit 23rd June..?

coldel

168 members have voted

1. 1. How are you likely to vote in the upcoming EU referendum

• Stay
    • Leave
    • Unsure
    • Not going to vote

How are you folk all feeling about the result?

We are loving the EUR/Pound rate movement here in Ireland at the moment! :lol:

Quick, buy something, anything - pick up a cheap Zed :lol:

Will I have to pay import duty if I do buy something?! :D

A few car buddies have been on Pistonheads classifieds all morning posting up links to TVRs and the likes. haha. I'd love a 370z myself!

:teeth:

In answer to your question how I feel, five emotions for me this morning:

1. Sad as mentioned above at the single minded hatred from some leave supporters against immigration and that this vote for them was all about this

2. Excited about a new path for the country and a new way of interacting with the world

3. Scared at what implications this will mean (and already means) for possible recession for however long, I am sick of austerity and another long slog is not something to look forward to

4. Annoyed at people on FB putting up pictures of union jacks saying they are proud to be British after voting leave - I am also very proud to be British voting stay was never anything to do with that

5. Flabergasted that people are so short sighted to post up the union jack and talk about the UK as choosing to leave when in all likelihood the blue part of the UK will end up leaving the uk via another referendum to get back in

Edited by coldel
  • Like 4

Surely this means, in theory, that Farage's job is done now. Does this mean he can disappear from our screens for good?

Or is that just wishful thinking?

One way or another he is out of a job for sure:)

I guess the other question no one seems to be asking is that if Cameron had to go for backing In, surely all the other party leaders have to as well who supported him?

They should all accept some responsibility but Cameron called this referendum, Corbyn, Farron weren't even leaders of their parties at the time. One of the things that struck me was that many labour voters from working class areas voted to leave and these will be the hardest hit when the recession really takes hold. Turkeys voting for an early Christmas. Surprised that Wales in general voted leave when its done relatively well from The EU. It will probably mean the end to free prescriptions here plus thousands of job losses, Caroline's job for example is EU funded. Anyway, the people have spoken and everyone will have to face up to the short term consequences, we just have to hope that in the longer term things will sort themselves out.

Pete

Screenshot_20160624-100900_zpstzmagbit.png

Seems unanimously everyone other than england wants to remain in the EU, Gibraltar was cut off that screenshot but they were 20000 votes to remain vs under 1000 to leave, I wonder how this will pan out :shrug:

Do all the bean counters live in the little blue bit that the Thames flows out of ?

Standard maps like this are pretty useless for referendum results, you need to look at populous rather than physical sizes. Actually as bizarre as this map looks, this is how it panned out.

Cls-tTuWkAEh56S.jpg

Doesn't matter anymore who voted what and where, we need the Japanese mentality now: Tsunami and earthquake gone, how can we rebuild, while sticking together, united.

I like this. Far too many people being short sighted at the moment.

Screenshot_20160624-100900_zpstzmagbit.png

Seems unanimously everyone other than england wants to remain in the EU, Gibraltar was cut off that screenshot but they were 20000 votes to remain vs under 1000 to leave, I wonder how this will pan out :shrug:

and Wales of course

The SNP announced that before the referendum and either way they were pushing for a new referendum on independence and would continue to until they get the result they want

The SNP announced that before the referendum and either way they were pushing for a new referendum on independence and would continue to until they get the result they want

And that would have been the case if Remain had won too, leave would have just carried on until they got their way.

Pete

Indeed, although this has pushed it into possibly the next year or so whereas Remain would have been 5-10 years down the line and who knows what happens between then and now. Its just that legally she couldn't do it unless there was a significant constitutional change which EU membership is so now she can legally do it.

As above said, now it is about taking the economic hit, pulling our socks up and moving on.

The shame is that it wasn't a decisive decision one way or the other, it just shows what a divided nation we are.

lol at the Damage control going on in here by the pro-remain posters.

Just accept you backed the wrong side and 1.2million extra people wanted to leave. Stop being so salty about it.

To be quite frank, the ridiculous air punching and screaming and shouting by the Leave supporters is just as bad. I am sure if they had lost we would have seen a lot worse whinging about 'losing Britain forever' etc. and all other types of nonsense.

The real victory is going to be avoiding trade deals like Norway where they have to adhere to EU regulation anyway, which is a distinct possible end point years down the line. Otherwise the whole intervening years of financial damage will have been in vain.

• Like 1

I watched Sturgeon's press conference. As one reporter said, she'll need to have had the referendum and separated from the UK *before* the two years are up after we enable Article 50. If not, then Scotland will already have left the EU, making her job impossible.

Either way, it doesn't get round the initial problems from the first Scot vote, which is that leaving the UK leaves Scotland without a currency and likely having to adopt the Euro. On top of that, for England it means that instead of having a body of water separating it from the EU, it will have a physical land connection to it which is arguably worse! Passports to head to the Highlands, anyone?

I watched Sturgeon's press conference. As one reporter said, she'll need to have had the referendum and separated from the UK *before* the two years are up after we enable Article 50. If not, then Scotland will already have left the EU, making her job impossible.

Either way, it doesn't get round the initial problems from the first Scot vote, which is that leaving the UK leaves Scotland without a currency and likely having to adopt the Euro. On top of that, for England it means that instead of having a body of water separating it from the EU, it will have a physical land connection to it which is arguably worse! Passports to head to the Highlands, anyone?

Yes the same issues still apply by it was just a 5% swing last time, despite all that. And as we saw last night the facts do not always get in the way of public opinion. I am pretty certain you would see at least a swing back the other way of 55/45 to leave the UK if they ran it again.