Electric Cars

Flex

You kind of missed the point, surely no one in their right mind would want to steal an ev and to be fair, they arent going to get far with it are they ;)

Incentives to buy a car and way of target numbers, really, thats the future of motoring? That says either one of two things to me: they are too expensive in the first place or they just arent up to the job for the majority of motorists (diplomatic answer).

^^ You have your opinion I have mine, we disagree which is fine. Time will tell what the future holds for EVs, I'm pretty sure which things will go, but forget what I think here's what one of the main editors of Autocar thinks after actually using a Zoe daily for 10 weeks.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/our-cars/buying-renault-zoe-introducing-electric-car-convert

Edited by gangzoom

I think you have highlighted the big "discussion", no one is interested in what Elon/Tesla says, no one is interested in what the odd journo says, no one is interested in which manufacturers are pushing ev's (as in reality they have to and have little choice) and if you want an ev, fill your boots, i am sure no one on here really cares either.

The issue (imho) seems to be this religious belief that "its the future" when in reality the many valid points given would suggest, its far from being the future, all depending on your definition of future of course. It is supposition at best, based on your belief, not cold hard facts.

• Like 1

First line: "Since delivery 10 weeks ago it has covered 1000 miles"

Ive done more than that in the last 3 days, and Ill do more than 55 miles (its range when very cold) today alone.

Not being funny but if youre doing an average of 14 miles a day and you want to be eco friendly a pushbike is a lot cheaper and doesnt need 9 hours charging every night.

The report itself says "if you live in a city" but if you live in a city then why not use public transport for your 7 miles each way?

• Like 1

First line: "Since delivery 10 weeks ago it has covered 1000 miles"

Ive done more than that in the last 3 days, and Ill do more than 55 miles (its range when very cold) today alone.

Not being funny but if youre doing an average of 14 miles a day and you want to be eco friendly a pushbike is a lot cheaper and doesnt need 9 hours charging every night.

The report itself says "if you live in a city" but if you live in a city then why not use public transport for your 7 miles each way?

Twas a point I made on another thread. Ideally these suit cities, but, during the week I would wager 90% of people living in London zones 1-6 commute on public transport to work and on the weekends I think I would prefer something a bit more fun than an EV. Many people in cities do not own 'dailies'...

So in summary I shouldnt buy one, even though the company car tax is super low? Because no one actually addressed this point or cared.

I care :)

I wouldn't buy one just for low CCT. You'll have to look at everything else too, running costs, leasing costs, mileage etc to see if it works for you.

So in summary I shouldnt buy one, even though the company car tax is super low? Because no one actually addressed this point or cared.

I care :)

I wouldn't buy one just for low CCT. You'll have to look at everything else too, running costs, leasing costs, mileage etc to see if it works for you.

Ok well 100% allowable against company tax when you buy and 5% BIK atm, 7% next year still far less than petrol/diesel power. When I get 5 mins I'll draw up a spreadsheet :)

Edited by Flex
  • Like 1

I care!

I OWN one and LOVE IT. it suits the mileage i drive. cost me peanuts. If we worried about the cost over just 3 years of ownership and it suited your needs you would love it too.

go and test drive it and see what you think. its going to be your car not everyone else.

Work out the cost savings for YOU and if it works, do it.

Kind of a no brainer with those incentives isnt it :surrender:

The problem is or the discussion re ev on the topic is, it can be subsidised for ever and i think the question/points being put forward are, what happens when it stops being attractive due to the hand outs.

In fact you didnt ask that, apologies :D

Edited by Jetpilot

Two of my colleagues had Leafs (Leaves?) through thier Limited companies, both leased, both as the BIK was nil and the costs were peanuts for commuting, shopping and dropping kids at school. They both rated the Leaf in terms of drive and place to be and the pre-heating app etc. One of them is just a person who wanted a cheap car, the other is reformed biker, owner of a Eunos and into his motors. He's just got a new one, the other went back to ICE as his commute went from 10 miles to 120.

Go for a spin in one, I think they even do a two day test drive.

The report itself says "if you live in a city" but if you live in a city then why not use public transport for your 7 miles each way?[/size][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

I'm not sure anywhere I have said I went for an EV for 'eco' reasons?? Yes my commute is only 7 miles at the most, but I bet 90% of the people I work with do a similar commute, and I actually cycle 50% of the time which I suspect is more than 95% of the public who live within 10 miles of their office.

The 'average' UK motorist do less than 8000 miles a year, that's bare more than what I've covered in the Leaf this year. Yet I see plenty of cars I cities. I agree more people should cycle rather than drive, but we all know how some people on here feel about cyclists ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28546589

I've just seen another review of the Model S by another apparent 'petrol head'. I should add I have no idea who this person is, and nor did I have input into what they wrote, but the comparison of a combustion of car with a out dated Nokia in a world of smart phones (EVs) I fully agree with :).

http://www.evperformance.co.uk/electric-dreams-our-first-drive-in-a-tesla-model-s/

Edited by gangzoom

I'm not sure anywhere I have said I went for an EV for 'eco' reasons??

Believe it or not there are people other than you who buy EV's ;)

My point was that the report saying that the Zoe was wonderful isnt really very real world for most people as they dont have those circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...

When will they make an EV that doesn't look like utter shite? ( ignoring the Tesla )

My main issue are as follows

1) I'd be way to embarrassed to be seen in one - Ugly

2) Admit it was electric/explain why it sounds like a hairdryer

3) Can't stomach the general attitude from the owners ( not looking at you guys on here ) who claim it's economical and eco friendly, yet ignore the battery manufacturing cycles etc

4) **** poor range/time useage for anything over 50 miles it's pretty crap.

5) the "I get nearly 50 mpg" crowd... yeah, and? Any half decent diesel nowadays will beat that - even 3 litre versons from the Germans get high 40's so your argument is irrelevant

6) I don't know how to word it, so I'm going to go with this.... It hurts my "pride" as an enthusiast to settle for a noiseless/emotionless tin can - Some cars make an amazing noise, or are very pretty, or have breathtaking interiors.... the EV cars available seem to tick none of those boxes.

#Tryingtopokeabearwithmystick.

• Like 1

When will they make an EV that doesn't look like utter shite? ( ignoring the Tesla )

There is a reason why Tesla is valued so highly on the stock market. The Model 3 is about to be announced at the end of March with pre-orders been taken at the same time. They are also likely to introduce a 100kWh version of the Model S, that's enough electricity to run our house for a week!! (My Leaf is only 24kWh).

Stupid 0-60 times, battery capacity THREE time more than the nearest competition - a newly released 30kWh Leaf at 100% charge only has 30% the charge capacity on a 100kWh S, auto-pilot, falcon wing doors, to be very frank the rate at which Tesla is pushing out updates they are making even brands like Nissan/BMW who have invested in EVs look like amateurs.

Yes the price of entry is high, but so what, nice things in life cost £££. I cannot wait to order mine (8 months to go :teeth:).

http://www.theverge....ngeles-march-31

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

I had a Sinclair C5 once, does that count?

Some long and lengthy posts on this topic so I will keep it short and sweet. We will at some point need a replacement for petrol and diesel powered vehicles. Whether or not it's purely EV I doubt it but who knows. It's admirable that manufacturers are pushing the boundaries although as businesses they need to adapt to make money.

I have one hobby and it's cars, the thought of EV makes me cringe. I'm sure being forced to adapt to different powertrains in the future won't come easy to most but we will adapt I'm sure.

The advent of this new tech may introduce even more dire consequences to die hard car fans such as the full automation of the road networks. The need to physically drive a car may disappear altogether.

Let's not be to hasty in heralding the new age of EV motoring and let's hang on to our hobby for now please.

Go fill your boots with EV if that's your thing, personally they bore the shite out of me.

• Like 3

Interesting bit on the P90D in Car magazine this month. The car projected a 120 mile range on the trip computer, but only gave them a 75 mile range on a motorway commute.

Genuine question now: If the batteries are improving in size, does it not take longer to charge them?

• Like 1