Serious question

JetSet

Could somebody explain to me that when famous ageing pop stars die, eg Michael Jackson, Cilla Black, David Bowie plus others, why do people rush out to the shops to buy albums that have been available for 20, 30 and 40 or more years ? I don't get it :shrug: .

Pete

• Like 2

I got into Led Zep years after they split up & Bonham had died.

Doesn't lessen my appreciation of them because I invested my money in their music.

Always chuckle when recalling my mum telling me that all led zep fans were wierdos when she was a lass.

Bless her soul!

Upon death, I actually think it's because people talk about them a lot more in forums, tv, radio etc. and it resparks an interest in people who might not normally of had as much interest in that artist or had forgotten about them. I for example have about 10 Bowie songs which I love but that's about it. Never really interested in any other stuff. However reading forums and talking to a few friends over the last week, I have picked up on views on some of his albums to the points where I have been interested enough to obtain them. I wouldn't normally and these people probably wouldn't be talking about him if he had not of died recently. I think it just puts the artist back in the spotlight again.

Edited by Linus27

Probably all some of all of the above, one of my nephews came home on Monday to find his Dad a bit teary eyed. He'd been playing Bowie tunes all afternoon , nephew was impressed and had a listen too. I don't know that it resulted in him buying any Bowie stuff but I can understand how he might have.

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Upon death, I actually think it's because people talk about them a lot more in forums, tv, radio etc. and it resparks an interest in people who might not normally of had as much interest in that artist or had forgotten about them. I for example have about 10 Bowie songs which I love but that's about it. Never really interested in any other stuff. However reading forums and talking to a few friends over the last week, I have picked up on views on some of his albums to the points where I have been interested enough to obtain them. I wouldn't normally and these people probably wouldn't be talking about him if he had not of died recently. I think it just puts the artist back in the spotlight again.

Agree, like I said to you this week......I didn't realise that Nirvana song was actually a Bowie cover until they started playing Bowie songs all day on the radio and we've had a couple of his albums for years. Did almost download his most recent album on the day he died, but when I listened to a couple of the songs thought it was a bit depressing :( Have the hangover from hell today by the way, that'll teach me :(

Bear in mind that liking the music is far from the only reason people buy music, whether the artist is dead or alive. Dying is a good (and free!) way to get your name in the spotlight.

Not sure I would want to die just to sell some records!

Pfft... no dedication to the cause.

Agree, like I said to you this week......I didn't realise that Nirvana song was actually a Bowie cover until they started playing Bowie songs all day on the radio and we've had a couple of his albums for years. Did almost download his most recent album on the day he died, but when I listened to a couple of the songs thought it was a bit depressing :( Have the hangover from hell today by the way, that'll teach me :(

His new album is brilliant. I have pretty much listened to it at least once or twice a day. Like I say, not a huge Bowie fan but totally loving this new album. Some of the songs are masterpieces. I love how he has given the musicians pretty much free reign over what they play which has given some incredible instrumentation on a lot of the songs. Bowie even takes a back seat on a lot of the songs, just occasionally dropping in the odd vocal line. Just brilliant.

These two songs are stand out for me.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

Bear in mind that liking the music is far from the only reason people buy music, whether the artist is dead or alive. Dying is a good (and free!) way to get your name in the spotlight.

Maybe my royalties will go up when I die, not that it will be much use at that point :lol:

His new album is brilliant. I have pretty much listened to it at least once or twice a day. Like I say, not a huge Bowie fan but totally loving this new album. Some of the songs are masterpieces. I love how he has given the musicians pretty much free reign over what they play which has given some incredible instrumentation on a lot of the songs. Bowie even takes a back seat on a lot of the songs, just occasionally dropping in the odd vocal line. Just brilliant.

These two songs are stand out for me.

I shall be ordering the CD today :)
  • Like 1

Empathy? I'm looking at this through beer googles though :(

Is Meatloaf dead? I know he survived breast cancer in Fight Club!

Testicular cancer. But remember his brains got blown out by the security guard. "His name was Robert Paulson"

What a movie!!

• Like 1

Maybe my royalties will go up when I die, not that it will be much use at that point :lol:

You could sign them over to me :)

......and your Lotus ;)

......and your Lotus ;)

:lol: anything else?? I've just bought a radio controlled drift car which is awesome fun. You fancy that? Oh and what about my Teg, you want that? :lol: