Winter plans....

nowhereboy

Last year I bought a 1.2 fiesta to nip about in while the roads were bad and sold it around march time, I'm considering doing the same again this year.The Z's had a bit of a hard time this winter already, got stuck on a hill in the snow and managed to slide into a curb scraping one of the wheels, then there was the roadworks incident which has ruined my front bumper. It's got to the point where I'm scared to take it out in bad conditions :surrender:

It's a tough choice because the amount it would cost to buy a second car could also be enough to get the Z repaired and back in tip top condition, I'm also keen to get new parts fitted which I've had sitting around for a while now. On the other hand the mileage is creeping up to 80k on it now too so it would be nice to beat on a little 1.2 for a while and keep the miles down on the Z.

What is everyone else doing this winter? I'm finding the Z a right handful in the snow, it's really bad. I was crawling home on the motorway when it snowed here, having to keep countering the back end sliding out with the steering the whole way due to zero traction :lol:

if the temps drop and theres snow/ice/salt around, i'm taking my wife's Peugeot 206 into work. Doesn't have the power to pull the skin off a rice pudding, but is like a mountain goat when it comes to snow! The beemer will be staying safely tucked up at home - although with 265 section rear tyres, I doubt it would even be able to reverse out my parking space anyways if it snows.

Weekend toy for me so its garaged. Happily use my Nismo Juke as my daily driver. Given the choice if I were in different circumstances I would buy a little run around like you did last year and tuck the z away.

Edited by Payco

Same as Martin for me - zed used on the weekends, polo used as a daily :)

I remember a few years ago before I had the zed it snowed heavily and I had a Xmas party in London and I decided to drive because I wasn't drinking. Passed so many high powered cars wheel spinning trying to get up slopes, whereas in my polo I trundled along like it was nothing :p

• Like 1

I'm running 265's on the rear of the Z at the minute, it was genuinely scary driving in it. The snow came from nowhere and caught me out as I was already at work when it started.

Look's like a little daily is in order for the winter, I'm gonna be really angry if it doesn't snow again now mind :lol:

if you buy smart, you wont lose any money on a winter hack. just make sure its not going to tick over any significant mileage in your ownership and it still has a decent amount of MOT on it when you come to sell it.

You might even make a profit if you can buy a badly advertised car for cheap, clean it up and do a proper advert for when you sell it on.

If you can get to pretty much January without the need for a winter hack, i cant say i would be bothered for maybe for the first three months of the year. I know we still have the possibility of some dire weather but unless you can break clean and clear i would stomach the odd day to come.

The Z is my daily and I travel to work 5 days a week so it's essential.

I'm not worried about the odd day here and there but if we get hit by weeks of snow I'll be in trouble, it was amazing how quickly the conditions changed from normal to completely snowed under last Saturday. I could just put some money aside and see what the weather does I guess.

Winter tyres have never appealed to me much, I could get a cheap run about for the same cost anyway and save on fuel etc.

I remember lots of people continuing to use their Z's last winter, it seems things have changed a bit this year.

Declare Z as sorn for Dec, Jan, Feb by a runabout for peanuts sell it in March for similar money. Money saved on tax n fuel will go towards work plus you can stop worrying about the fluffy white stuff. Also, you don't have to worry about all the road salt causing rust and chips.

Mine is only a weekender anyway but sorn saves approx £150 and for the number of times I would use it in winter that's money worth saving !

My first outing with the Zed in the wet was nerve wracking so I'd never ever take it out in snow, frost or ice. Turns out the front and rear wheels were on are about tit & the rubber was absolutely horrendous.

MPSS tyres on the new Weds made an amazing difference, no snaking at lights, tail-outs at roundabouts etc. Increased confidence massively.

But not enough to drive it in the snow & ice. Ever.