Junction 17 (again)

PMX

Ok, so I have read a couple of topics about Junction 17.

Haven't really contributed as I actually bought my 350z from them....

Ok, so agreed not the best after sales but this didn't bother me, a few comments:-

1. Asked prior to sale for 2 new tyres. These were fitted but were budget, my fault for not insisting on better tyres at the time (have subsequently replaced all tyres with MPSS)

2. Full mot supplied but at next service at Cougar was told brakes shot, so new discs and pads were needed (again one of those things, happy now to have good quality discs, pads fitted, thanks Mitzvah)

3. Had to buy lots of things, wasn't aware of at the time, decent mats, decent boot mat, cargo net, Bluetooth adapter, etc. I don't think Junction 17 stripped these items, I think there were taken out prior to part ex....but they add up to a lot of money.

4. Paid for stupid warranty, my fault, should know better at my age, luckily haven't needed it.

5. Maybe overpaid for my Zed, but then again got a cracking part-ex for my Z4.

In conclusion, I have had my car for 2 years now, I've had a few issues but no more than you would get with any other used car.

Anyway, you are probably wondering what my point is....

Well I want to upgrade to a 370, probably need to part-ex as cannot be bothered to sell private so just did a search on autotrader. 80 mile radius, low mileage, trade only.... 22 cars available, 10 are at Junction 17.

So do I ignore J17 because of their bad reputation, even though my experience wasn't that bad. Or if I do go to J17, how do I check I am getting a decent car (I'm not great with cars!!)

Would love to know your thoughts on this...

Edited by PMX
  • Like 2

If you're concerned that's not a great sign, but your best bet is to get a mate/member who knows their 370 onions, or failing that get an inspection by a tech who does. A few quid up front might save you from a lemon.

Alternatively, start a rainy day fund to go with the car and hope for the best.

If you like what they have at a price you are happy to pay Go in with your eyes open, pay what you would be prepared to pay privately, don't expect anything other than what you see in front of you and don't expect them to do anything you ask, then you won't go far wrong.

They are a dealer with a bad rep on here for not doing the little extra bits, but that doesn't mean the cars are bad, also remember, you have more rights when you buy from a dealer

Be prepared to travel for the right car (and you might not always get it first time)... I travelled to Newcastle for mine (I'm in cental Scotland) and thankfully it was a 'keeper' :)

Along with all the usual 350 specials.... knocking coming early, shot back box after a surprisingly short amount of time ..the usual.

Edited by AMT

I think the last tie there was a J17 thread someone pointed out that no dealers actually search for dodgy cars to stick on their forecourt, and Sale of Goods is watertight these days ....... take someone who knows what they are looking at and you might be OK :)

Tbf IMHO all of the issues you've initially mentioned could have been avoided very easy by you. With buying any car you need to buy with ur eyes open and draw up a list prior to viewing of what you are expecting. Is spec, service history, owners, good tyres and brakes, long mot and check prev mot's online to get a feel for how the car has been looked after. Surely from the amount of 370z they have you can bastard together a good'un lol is kerb alloy or low tread ask them to swap it with another zed, won't cost them nothing but their time and doubt come end of month they'd let a sale go for something similar.David

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

Hi David, a fair point....tbh, the 350 I bought from them hasn't been a bad car at all. But you are right, I need to be a bit smarter next time, to make sure I get the best deal from them or any trader.

Also with hindsight, from being on this forum, I now know a lot more about the cars than I did when I bought the 350 originally, and will hopefully look with a more critical eye.

I am wondering though, just out of curiosity, are there any members around the Peterborough area who 'know their onions' who might be able to spare an hour to look at a few of J17's offerings. Of course the usual incentives, alcoholic beverages, bar snacks (well crisps anyway), etc, will apply.....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So have had a good look round but Junction 17 still have a decent selection of 370's to look at.

Probably going to go view this Sunday.....

Again I have to ask the question....are there any members around the Peterborough area that might be able to spend an hour or so helping me look at their cars???

Pete (PMX)

So have had a good look round but Junction 17 still have a decent selection of 370's to look at.

Probably going to go view this Sunday.....

Again I have to ask the question....are there any members around the Peterborough area that might be able to spend an hour or so helping me look at their cars???

Pete (PMX)

If it was me I would start a new thread with a heading like "Anyone in the Peterborough area who could help me" otherwise you are depending on only those who want to read more about J17.