Petrol additives... yeah or nay?

PKAT

Firstly a confession. I put basic unleaded in, and have done for ages and ages (ok ten years).

Now we've got that out of the way, I feel very much better and I'm sure you'll forgive me. Or maybe not.

Moving swiftly on, I have seen the light and will move immediately to better petrol, honest guv.

Is it worth using petrol additives to clean my engine?

its not the lower RON petrol leaving deposits in the engine that's the problem, its the pre detonation/knocking that can occur when the petrol ignites earlier than its supposed to.

do you drive the car particularly hard at all? hopefully if you never take it above 4000rpm or so the substandard petrol wont cause any long term problems, but start using the good stuff from now on yeah? petrol is so cheap these days super unleaded is a lot cheaper than regular was a year or two ago.

Lets hope you never start a for sale thread, or that comment is going to come back to haunt you.

Yup that's just about put the nail in thst coffin.

I'm assuming when you say 10 years you mean you've owned a zed for 10 years so this is a DE engine we're talking about?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Fuels like V Power will clean and prevent further deposits, so no need for additives.

Yes, All fuels, even lowly 95 octane ***should*** contain engine cleaning additives these days, so in theory you should never get the tarnish that built up on carbs and fuel injection systems back in the day. 97/98 octane fuel just contains more RON booster (Raw Gasoline has a RON in the 85 range)

***should***, I worked for Shell in the late 60's long before the rise of supermarket petrol so I don't know what, if any, additive package they add,as they usually source their fuel on the spot market .

Pete

Firstly a confession. I put basic unleaded in, and have done for ages and ages (ok ten years).

Now we've got that out of the way, I feel very much better and I'm sure you'll forgive me. Or maybe not.

Moving swiftly on, I have seen the light and will move immediately to better petrol, honest guv.

Is it worth using petrol additives to clean my engine?

Is this not proof that this is not a major worry as everyone makes out? People freak out about doing it once....OP has been doing it for 10 years, 70k+ miles...

• Like 2

All it means is that she's been lucky, the engine was a particularly sturdy one, or th elife has been drastically shortened from 250k miles to much less.

The DE cannot compensate for knock on 95 high up in the rev range, so it's a 100% guarantee that the engine has signs of damage.

As for one lady owner, surely no-one stupid enough to fall for that as a sales line any more? :lol:

There are people that do... :) I'm not selling her. I don't think I ever will. Probably get another car if I need to and keep her for pootling

Is there a test that I can run just to see for comparison purposes? compression test I think ot is there something that gives more in depth results?

'Tis very good stuff, but it's not a petrol additive and I can't seem to get hold of it anywhere any more :(

Run it through the intake and just make sure there's no-one standing behind the car, the crap that comes out of the exhausts is insane!

• Like 1

I also don't rev her. Not even sure I go above 4k. Will check next time I'm out

If you only potter and dont use full throttle above 4k then there is little need for 98 octane, personally I think its an unnecessary economy myself and always use the appropriate fuel irrespective of how i'm driving.

A fuel system cleaner is also unnecessary in your case as well imo

'Tis very good stuff, but it's not a petrol additive and I can't seem to get hold of it anywhere any more :(

Run it through the intake and just make sure there's no-one standing behind the car, the crap that comes out of the exhausts is insane!

Not this one?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRANVILLE-1428A-10K-BOOST-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-CLEANER-BRAND-NEW-FAST-DISPATCH-/350520953777

Edited by SuperStu

It does say to put it in the petrol tank not the intake, or have I been drastically misusing it :lol:

"Hi I'm Troy McClure, you might remember me from such fuel additives as, "Turbo Jizz, 50bhp in just one squirt" and my self help programme, "Get confident stupid!".

It is so easy to use, just pour 1 bottle into your fuel tank before filling up with petrol. 1 bottle will treat 40 - 60 litres of petrol. Recommended dosage is one bottle every 2000 miles to keep your fuel system at its best. A week before your MOT, use a bottle of Catalytic Converter Cleaner to help your car pass the emissions test."