My dead Zed and the garage who've ripped me off. Advice welcome!

Speedway Fan

Thanks for the posts guys.

GMBallistic - that sounds a nightmare! Thing is, about returning it to them, I just don't trust them at all. They'll probably do something even worse!

Still pretty interested to know what a rebuild would cost?

When I say return it to them I mean for them to keep and refund you your money if you can get them to do that. :shrug:

Oh and it was a nightmare ~ loved my Subaru as it was truly a car I had always wanted since being a child and had watched Colin McRae & later Richard Burns drive in the WRC's.

Unfortunately it had a catalogue of things go wrong with it during my ownership despite pouring all my love, attention & money into it. That is the way sometimes though. :thumbdown:

I think that you should inform your credit card provider what has happened and that you want to reject the car. They will be able to put a lot more pressure on the Dealer than you.

It may be easier and faster to do this rather than going through the court process. You can always fall back on that if all else fails.

Tim

You shul get in the habit of always using the credit card, even if it's just for a deposit, letters from credit card companies will always carry more weight than from you.

You can also tackle them from two fronts simultaneously, most companies will back down fairly quickly when faced with this.

Good luck.

It's worth noting that the link is about the consumer goods act which is the new act so it might be that we need to check the sales of goods act and the point where each act can be used in this circumstance, such as will it be the transaction date or the rejection date etc.

I have a friend who is a solicitor so I threw it her way to see what she has to say, if she comes up with anything I will let you know. It might be a good starting point anyway.

Thanks for all the great responses.

davedutch - I'm going to write to the credit card people today.

Bradders - sounds good, I'd be really interested to know how I goes and what the issue was with your engine.

Oggieteepo - thanks for posing the question to her, that's great.

Thanks so much for all the replies so far.

Justthejedi - it's an independent place, quite big and has everything from cheap cars, right up to Ferraris. With hindsight, I didn't feel great about the place or the people at the time. I'm not sure about trading standards, the local council don't even seem to have it any more on their website!

Nowhereboy - I'm not sure if I should name them on here yet if it could end up getting legal? But it's a mile off the A1 in Beds and it's quite big.

Ekona - thanks ever so much for taking the time to write all that. It does look a credible way to try and not be out of pocket, but the flaw in the plabn is that I lose the car! I'm also reluctant to put in on a truck for the third time and take it back. They'll probably just bring it here again! But I'm going to have a good think about what you've said.

Attak Z - Thanks. Much love for the Vulcan too.

davey_83 - The 'warranty' is just a box on the sales invoice, supposedly underwritten by themselves, rather than an actual package from somewhere reputable.

leonk - I definitely want the car and want to fix it. But still, feel pretty short changed!

Am I correct in thinking, the place you bought the car was in a residential area. It also has a few green house within the compound? If so I have went to see the car as someone else on here was looking at it also as I warned him about the car....

It has big brake kit, GT4 version asking for about £8k mark?

我從使用 Tapatalk çš„ Nexus 6 發é€

Great advice already on here and very sad to hear. I would consult a solicitor immediately and get them to begin proceedings for me personally.

You dont need a solicitor (and the cost), you can just return the car, get your money back and move on. I did it on an Evo where the bottom end went 2 hours after buying it, its in the Sale of Goods act.

• Like 1

The weapons available in your arsenal when a retailer doesn't co-operate are considerable; and cheap or free. It's just that few people know what those weapons are until they're advised. I've beaten many a retailer/delaer/garage into submission using the SOGA and MCOL from my the comfort of my couch.

No solicitors needed

Edited by Juggalo

I've been through this before when the gf bought a Mazda 3, had over 100k on when we bought it, not main dealer and turbo went after 2 months, spend many letters to the dealer, £800 for a new turbo before being told the engine would need replacing, more letters, refusal to do anything etc etc. used trading standards and the SOGA and got full amount for car plus all expenses back. took a while but got there.

as someone else said send them everything recorded delivery and keep copies for yourself, as it's within 6m from date of sale it's on them to prove that it was fully working when they sold it rather than you prove it was damaged when you bought it. if they're a big place then i doubt they're going to close down over the possibility of refunding for an 8k car

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with a vw golf I brought from what seemed like a respectable company at the time. Like yours, the car developed faults which were underlying problems when I brought it but wernt straight away noticeable. Anyway, after handing the car back for the garage to repair it which they never did, I took it to an independent garage to get a list of faults with it. To cut a very long story short I contacted trading standards regarding the compromise of safety on the car at time of sale. I also had to contact my credit card company and the ombudsman. In the end there was no need for court action from my side and I received all of the money I'd paid for the car in full. In the meantime since all that happened which took the best part of 8-10 months the trading standards have been investigating the garage regarding their dodgy dealings involving my case and many more unsuspecting and unfortunate customers and are putting together a case in which to prosecute. Well I hope this helps.

Justthejedi - it's an independent place, quite big and has everything from cheap cars, right up to Ferraris. With hindsight, I didn't feel great about the place or the people at the time. I'm not sure about trading standards, the local council don't even seem to have it any more on their website!

Nowhereboy - I'm not sure if I should name them on here yet if it could end up getting legal? But it's a mile off the A1 in Beds and it's quite big.

Ekona - thanks ever so much for taking the time to write all that. It does look a credible way to try and not be out of pocket, but the flaw in the plabn is that I lose the car! I'm also reluctant to put in on a truck for the third time and take it back. They'll probably just bring it here again! But I'm going to have a good think about what you've said.

davey_83 - The 'warranty' is just a box on the sales invoice, supposedly underwritten by themselves, rather than an actual package from somewhere reputable.

leonk - I definitely want the car and want to fix it. But still, feel pretty short changed!

Am I correct in thinking, the place you bought the car was in a residential area. It also has a few green house within the compound? If so I have went to see the car as someone else on here was looking at it also as I warned him about the car....

Hi Carbon.Ninja - sounds like the place and the car. I dread to think what your warning was? Be good to know.

• Like 1

Thanks docwra, catman, Juggalo, fake ben, Tom and Jeff for your thoughts.

Given the way they've behaved, I'd be surprised if I was the only one who's been had by them. It seems like the consensus is to refuse it and try to get the money back through the credit card. It's a shame, as I really would like to keep the car!

Hi Carbon.Ninja - sounds like the place and the car. I dread to think what your warning was? Be good to know.

I found your introduction post and it was the same car for sure. The car was priced very attractive for GT4 I must say hence I went to see it and of course the colour as well. Here is what I seen when I saw it :-

1) Interior was messy with GPS sensor hanging on the rear brace

2) one side of the car was re-sprayed. As I can see some orange peel. And it wasn't to high standard

3) steering wheel was off center and I saw the repair on one side put 2 together.. Hence I walked away.

4) Those guys there were not too friendly, especially when I told them what I saw about the car.

Sorry go hear your ordeals with them, and hope you get it sorted soon. :)