Tax difference??

Far2lively

This has come up many times before. Cars registered on or after 23rd March 2006 are subject to the new tax bands based on emissions. The original legislation called for this to cover all cars no matter when they were registered, however, the government of the day capitulated to pressure from the trade/AA/RAC and other motoring interests and as a temporary measure allowed cars registered before this date to stay in their original tax bracket. It looks very likely that the temporary measure has been extended or forgotten about.

Pete

• Like 2

This has come up many times before. Cars registered on or after 23rd March 2006 are subject to the new tax bands based on emissions. The original legislation called for this to cover all cars no matter when they were registered, however, the government of the day capitulated to pressure from the trade/AA/RAC and other motoring interests and as a temporary measure allowed cars registered before this date to stay in their original tax bracket. It looks very likely that the temporary measure has been extended or forgotten about.

Pete

Good job, or a lot of nice classics would be taken off the road.

I have to disagree with what seems to be the majority opinion on here that the higher tax cost is an insignificance (unless perhaps you`re fortunate enough to be dead rich). Paying monthly it now costs me £12 more each month than what the wife pays for the year for her car. Together with the fact that I seem to need to put a tenner's worth of fuel in each time just to nip to the local shops a couple of times a week makes it rather expensive for what is effectively a driveway ornament for the majority of the time. If I didn`t love driving it so much when I do take it out I`d definitely be looking for something more reasonable to run.

It's the equivalent of a pint of beer a week. If you can't afford that, you can't afford to run a 3.5L V6, Simple as that. That's not being rich or a flash Harry, a pint a week is nothing to the vast majority of the population.

If you don't like it, buy an older car. Money saved all round then!

• Like 1

It's absolute peanuts in the grand scheme of things. I don't know why people get so upset about it.

^^^^ this.

My 2007 HR was the higher tax bracket and whilst it pained me forking out £500 a year just to drive it, it was nothing compared the £4000 a year in depreciation my car had during the time I had it.

While I agree the £17 extra per month may not be much, I think its everything, an extra fiver here, extra £10 there - on a variety of differing items that make costs add up and become pricey and create the doubts.

It is also the way many have fallen foul and gotten into serious debt.

The way I console myself - is saving where I can plus renewing and updating various contracts where I can control my spending.

I have to disagree with what seems to be the majority opinion on here that the higher tax cost is an insignificance (unless perhaps you`re fortunate enough to be dead rich). Paying monthly it now costs me £12 more each month than what the wife pays for the year for her car. Together with the fact that I seem to need to put a tenner's worth of fuel in each time just to nip to the local shops a couple of times a week makes it rather expensive for what is effectively a driveway ornament for the majority of the time. If I didn`t love driving it so much when I do take it out I`d definitely be looking for something more reasonable to run.

Drive it more then ;) I do 15-20k a year so well worth it haha

While I agree the £17 extra per month may not be much, I think its everything, an extra fiver here, extra £10 there - on a variety of differing items that make costs add up and become pricey and create the doubts.

It is also the way many have fallen foul and gotten into serious debt.

Agree up to a point, but if you're in financial trouble like that you don't try and run a sports car, you either sell it and recoup what you can or you don't buy it in the first place.

It's the equivalent of a pint of beer a week. If you can't afford that, you can't afford to run a 3.5L V6, Simple as that. That's not being rich or a flash Harry, a pint a week is nothing to the vast majority of the population.

My God is that what a pint of beer costs these days. Shows how long it is since I got a round in.

Anyway, on topic, The extra road tax is significant when you are on a limited budged split over mortgage, family, kiddies etc etc. that's why I bought a 2003 car. But if you didn't realise the tax varied you didn't do your home work.

It's not always the cost that's the issue but the principal. One car registered on the 22nd March 2006 is charged the lower tax rate, an otherwise identical car registered on 24th is subject to the higher rate. Costs aside, it's that seemingly arbitrary date and teh arising principal of the matter that bothers some. Granted this is unavoidable when it's applied to registration date - there has to be a cut off somewhere, obviously - but that doesn't mean that registration date was the right variable to apply that particular rule to. That said...

...that resolves the issue, regardless. :lol:

It's absolute peanuts in the grand scheme of things. I don't know why people get so upset about it.

Only because it feels like a massive kick in the nads if you pay for it lump sumo.

I spread both over 12 months now, feels great.