Hidden Gem Movies that are Worth a Watch?

allaboutthepasty

Just wondered if anyone out there has any films they recommend for a Saturday night?

We all know the classics such as the Godfather Trilogy, Goodfellas, The Departed etc but there are a few more understated titles that I believe are up there with these. Just wondered if anyone has any good suggestions to try? I'll start with a few of my favorites:

In the Name of the Father - Daniel Day Lewis in a true story about the Guildford bombings and the false prosecution of some friends from Belfast during the troubles.

71 - Again, one set in N Ireland about a soldier left behind by his comrades... Gritty as hell.

Lost in Translation - Bill Murray plays a washed out actor on an advertising job in Tokyo and forms a friendship with Scarlette Johansen. Directed by Coppola's daughter.

The Drop - Tom Hardy plays a bartender in a twisting tale about a drop point for dirty money and a few wrong doings. Really great and edgy film.

So any suggestions?

• Like 1

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1079716-seven_years_in_tibet/

I was pleasantly surprised with how good this was. Sat down not expecting much then several hours passed without me noticing, a very encapsulating movie. But, my all-time recommendation would be Slumdog Millionaire, if you haven't seen it, give it a go. One of the best movies ever. :teeth:

Oooh films is such a tough one, especially offbeat ones as some choices will seem really obvious to anyone with more than a multiplex interest in cinema. Here's a few of my favourites that spring to mind.

All the Coen Brothers' movies are good, with particular mega thumbs up to

Raising Arizona* (comedy drama)

Miller's Crossing (old gangsters)

Big Lebowski* (comedy noir)

Burn After Reading* (comedy)

O Brother, Where Are Thou? (comedy drama)

Other modernish stuff:

Brick (modern day film noir)

Sightseers* (black comedy)

Chopper (crime biopic)

Bound (lesbian crime, oooh errr)

Memento (crime drama)

Glengary Glen Ross (drama)

LA Confidential* (crime)

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (comedy)

Mars Attacks* (black comedy)

If you don't mind old movies:

The Maltese Falcon (crime)

The Apartment* (comedy)

Dr Strangelove... (black comedy)

The Sting* (con man)

For the person who can live with subtitles:

Mesrine - Parts 1&2 (crime)

Dobermann (crime)

Festen* (drama)

Untouchable* (heart warmer)

Das Boot (super tense submarine drama)

La Haine (crime)

Irreversible (drama)

None of these are what I would call family viewing, some containt quite graphic violence.

Anything with an * is something you could comfortably get away with with the Mrs. I know that sounds a bit sexist and lots of girls like great movies, but in my experience girls and boys can often like quite different things :lol:

• Like 1

Kajaki - British war film located in Afghanistan. I like British war films because they're the polar opposite of American war films where they're losing, they'll always come out on top. The Lone Survivor is a typical example. The Soldiers got hammered....but America kicked ass at the end.

Watch Kajaki for a good raw war film, with no flag waving to make you feel better at the end.

The Lone Survivor - Despite my 'typical American' observations, it is a very good film.

Letters from Iwo Jima - cracking film by Clint Eastwood told from the Japanese perspective.

Public Enemies - Johnny Depp and Christian Bale playing John Dillinger and Melvin Purvis respectively. Very good film.

im liking the way all these are being suggested on x factor night :)

I'm going to suggest City if god.

Brazilian film which is subtitled and set in the favelas. does get a bit violent but my favourite film of all time.

Another one from me for city of god, amazing flick :)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/city_of_god/

Awesome idea for a topic!!

@SuperStu - Brick was the first film i thought of as a hidden gem.

Some from me...

Comedy:

Super Troopers

Kingpin

Swingers

Gritty:

This Is England (and the subsequent TV series')

Dead Man's Shoes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_28)

Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

Snatch

Layer Cake

Revolver

Shooters (very grim movie about scouse gangsters. Worth a watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0328420/)

Warrior (Tom Hardy - awesome)

• Like 1

Dead Man's Shoes is absolutely brilliant Chris, great shout :thumbs:

Swingers is a favourite too. When I was in LA I had to go to two places, In-N-Out due to The Big Lebowski and The Dresden from Swingers (also did Mulholland Drive on the movie tour).

The lads outside The Dresden, I'm shooting

00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000001A0_zpsye1lynpg.jpg

00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000001A3_zpsexidwv3z.jpg

Rubbs photo inside, but it was the best I could manage in low light. There was an open mic night in there and the singers were brilliant, none of your karaoke rubbish.

"This place is dead anyway."

Sorry for off topic OP

Locke, 2013.

Tom Hardy at possibly his finest. It's essentially a one-man film, with voices joining in on the phone. If I explained the story it would sound so mundane you'd think I was I mad for recommending it, but Hardy alone carries it off with an acute piece of every day man acting. A must-watch, if you want to see a great actor challenging himself as much as the audience.

• Like 1

Woah, great responses from people.

Seen a fair few of these are a lot are right up my street, all the Coen Brothers stuff, Dead Mans Shoes is a right shout too and is one of my all time favourites. Found it more disturbing than pretty much any "horror" film I've ever seen.

One absolutely epic and truly inspiring films is Chasing Mavericks. True story about a young surfer training to conquer one of the words biggest waves in California. Even if you're not into surfing it's well worth a watch.

Anyway, for tonight I'm going to try one suggested by marzman, Warrior, although there's plenty here to check out. Sure it'll beat X Factor!

Dead Man's Shoes is absolutely brilliant Chris, great shout :thumbs:

Swingers is a favourite too. When I was in LA I had to go to two places, In-N-Out due to The Big Lebowski and The Dresden from Swingers (also did Mulholland Drive on the movie tour).

"This place is dead anyway."

Awesome!! I'd love to go. Great quote too :lol:

Anyway, for tonight I'm going to try one suggested by marzman, Warrior, although there's plenty here to check out. Sure it'll beat X Factor!

Good choice - you wont be disappointed. :thumbs:

Locke, 2013.

Tom Hardy at possibly his finest. It's essentially a one-man film, with voices joining in on the phone. If I explained the story it would sound so mundane you'd think I was I mad for recommending it, but Hardy alone carries it off with an acute piece of every day man acting. A must-watch, if you want to see a great actor challenging himself as much as the audience.

Sweet - not heard of it but downloading it now.

Locke, 2013.

I agree. I couldn't explain to either and telling someone you watched a film about someone driving a car and eavesdropping on a story via phone conversation wouldn't win you many friends.

Also whoever said Das Boot.... You need to watch the TV series as that is just superb... Building tension like you wouldn't believe.

A favourite film of mine is "no Country for old men" its a coen brothers film. I also think that the Ryan gosling film "drive" is well worth a watch especially for grand theft auto fans as I think it takes alot of influence from the games

Edited by dugg90
  • Like 1

A favourite film of mine is "no Country for old men" its a coen brothers film.

I've been wanting to watch that. Not had chance yet.

Bit of an odd ball I'd recommend "the dish" it's about a middle of nowhere town in Australia being instrumental I the moon landings.