Been driving around with low/no oil!

jaffers

I've had my car for a few years now, and for the very first time about two months ago I triggered that bloody oil light. In my case it just flashed up once as I was braking hard at a set of traffic lights, I just drove very slowly about half a mile to the nearest Shell station, turned it off for 15 mins and slung a litre in there. Then another litre when I got back home.

Then another 2 litres when my opie oils box turned up :lol:

So now I have a 5ltr tub in the back of the car 'just in case' :blush:

Thans for the feedback guys. really appreciate it.

I got into this whole mess because my other car is a vw tdi and on that there is a "low oil warning light" so i assumed a 3.5 sports car would definitely have one. And secondly since ive had it the oil level on the dipstick has never changed. I just assumed I've got an engine that isnt as thirsty as some other zeds.

I'm not technically minded but would it be OTT to take the cam cover/head off to inspect any damage?

I'd only make 2 comments bud.....1 never rely on a low oil warning light even if a car has one and 2 if your not technically minded to start with do not for the love of God start stripping your engine.

Do what's been advised above. Chill. Enjoy.

Your literally can't change one thing about the outcome of this so stop worrying.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Bradders, clearly oil is so over rated and with the money you save not topping up you will soon be able to afford a new engine anyway.

Yeah man! To be fair ive done just under 5k miles since the smoke started and its still pulling fine. Just the slight smell of burning oil and the odd puff of smoke on start up lol

Slight smell of burning and the odd puff of oil ! Not quite what I recall from Wales !!!

But Bradders just goes to show how solid these engines can be, jaffers, as per others, just carefully monitor the oil level and continue to enjoy, worry about problems If and when they occur because there is nothing you can do now.

Enjoy the car!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

oh hang on...I've taken it to a local mechanic (who used to work for nissan, dunno if that means anything) my initial description wasnt very accurate. you can't hear it in 1st or 2nd gear but more definitely 3rd and 4th it seems to come in at 2k rpm and the mechanic described it more like a WHISTLE. He said he couldn't put his finger on it but didn't sound like anything serious...

ok gonna try that thanks. but does the belt squeal get louder as you accelerate?

Whereabouts in the country are you, if you are local to me I'd come over and give it a listen for you? I'm fairly sure most of the other nice peeps on the forum would do the same (or meet you somewhere mutually close). :)

Its surprising how good engines can handle lack of oil.

I serviced my mates daily diesel the other year and he only had bought 3 litres of oil with him when the car normally takes 6 litres to fill it up. It wasnt even showing on the tip stick when I poured it in. Being a tight wad, rather than buy some more from the local motor factors he decided he`d just drive home as he had a can of oil at home. However, before he could even do that, due to his fuel pump being on the way out and there being a small air lock in the system from changing the fuel filter we had to get the car started. No amount of cranking would fire it up. So, he then suggests using brake cleaner in the inlet. Squirted a ton of that in and my god, that certainly did the trick. The engine (cold engine with virtually no oil in it) went from zero to bouncing of the rev limiter quicker than ive ever heard a diesel rev. It was amazing, I thought it was going to explode. And the knocking. My god, it was both incredible and painful to hear at the same time. Ive never heard anything like it. If I ever heard a death rattle that was it. Anyhow, he drove it home, stuck the correct amount of oil in, and car was fine. Been fine ever since.

Edited by rabbitstew