Long Journey Preparation

alexfergs

check before you leave... tyre pressures, oil level, washer fluid....

^^ That plus brake fluid, power steering & clutch fluid levels just to be safe.

Taking some spare engine oil & water/coolant with you is also a good idea if you can.

Also worth taking some easily eatable food/sweets along with you. Saves paying the high prices at the motorway services should you get hungry. ;)

is this a serious thread? lol.

if it is, then the most obvious thing thats not been mentioned is to find out where you're going before you leave!

or maybe thats the point? is it really a 5mile drive, but you havent planned it properly so its going to take aroud 7 hours?

yea, yea thats it.

problem solved :)

• Like 1

Red Bull. Lots of Red Bull.

Also, your sig is freaking awesome! :D

Not sure if the red bull was tongue in cheek, but I remember a few years back the AA etc warning against drinking this stuff on long distance trips. Caffeine keeps you awake but your body still fatigues, there were a number of incidents where people thought they were fine guzzling red bull then just literally passed out at the wheel as their bodies gave out. Ideally, take the breaks as and when you feel your body tell you to take them.

/endoldmandaddycomment ;)

Once I was just planning a Manchester to London trip.

Evening beforehand I checked tyre pressure.

One was down.

Jacked her up and there was a screw inthe rear tyre.

Gutted i had to take the Mini instead but dread to think of the damage or worse if I'd been going to London on that tyre!

Many bags of Haribos.

No red bull. Caffeine will perk you up temporarily but then you'll crash. Plus it's a diuretic. Peepee galore.

Cold water. Maybe a bottle of lucozade too for the glucose to keep your brain sharp and water to hydrate properly.

Comfy clothes a must. As comfy and slob like as you can handle to be seen in public wearing.

Download an audio book to listen to.

Or podcasts are great for killing time. Big fan of joe rogans. 2 episodes of him will get you to the end

+1 for podcasts, Football Weekly (for footy fans) Smoking Tire for gearheads (it's in yankee) AMMO NYC (for detailing).

I also carry two tubs of octane booster in case of going off the reservation.

• Like 1