Tianjin, China explosions!

GMballistic

Just been reading about this and some of the footage/pictures from the disaster is insane. Sad to think how many will have been injured or worse killed. RIP.

A huge explosion at a container port in the northeastern city of Tianjin in China has left at least 44 dead and hundreds injured.

It is understood that 500 people were injured, with hundreds admitted to hospitals in the city after an explosion shattered windows and knocked doors off of buildings in the area.

Twelve of the dead are firefighters.

The official China Daily claimed the blast occurred in a warehouse for dangerous materials, and added that the logistics company running the facility did have proper approval for its business.

Windows were blown out of high rise apartments and office buildings were destroyed. A fireball appears to have swept through a car park of 1,000 new Renault cars, with the paint burned off and the cars left charred.

The explosion shattered windows miles away and was reported to have been visible from space, Japanese weather satellite Himawari-8 capturing the moment it happened.

Police are keeping journalists and bystanders away with a cordon, keeping people from accessing the site of the explosion.

On China's popular microblogging platform of Weibo, some users complain that their posts about the blasts have been deleted, and the number of searchable posts on the disaster fluctuated, in a sign that authorities are manipulating or placing limits on the number of posts.

o-CHINA-570.jpg?1

slide_446034_5927494_free.jpg

o-CHINA-570.jpg?1

Crazy to think what hazardous materials must have caused this and what the repercussions are going to be afterwards for the people living nearby. :scare:

Sources: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/12/tianjin-china-explosion_n_7978662.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D372609

https://twitter.com/PDChina?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/631546902790565892/photo/1

think the worst bit is this isnt a natural disaster this is a man made **** up and could have been avoided

What's also quite staggering to me is the close proximity to peoples homes & other businesses that all these dangerous materials were being kept. Literally a disaster waiting to happen. :dry:

Edited by GMballistic

think the worst bit is this isnt a natural disaster this is a man made **** up and could have been avoided

What's also quite staggering to me is the close proximity to peoples homes & other businesses that all these dangerous materials were being kept. Literally a disaster waiting to happen. :dry:

China is very much like this, my company's china workshop is the same on a industrial estate with other similar heavy industrial company's and the workers all live in high rises less than 1 block away

China is very much like this, my company's china workshop is the same on a industrial estate with other similar heavy industrial company's and the workers all live in high rises less than 1 block away

Health and safety is very low down the list of priorities in China, they still have half a dozen or so mining disasters every year. Back in the day when China was pretty much a secretive closed society (not that long ago really) we probably wouldn't have even heard about this for several months or even decades.

Pete

• Like 1

Those that know me are aware I work for a Asia Pacific focussed shipping line and we do offer Tianjin although thankfully in this case use third party feeder vessels from base Asia ports. Not hearing anything professionally at the moment although its sure to come out. Every Global Port licensed to handle 1.1 (explosives) has a NEQ rating which is the Net Explosive Quantity it can hold at any one time - one of the instruments created after a similar explosion in Bombay in 1944 which is well worth a google/read if you want a bigger example of yesterday, Be interested know what NEQ was on site in the port at the time but very sad and a reminder to all of us that safety rules exist for a reason.

• Like 2

Just wait 'till we find out what possibly lethal toxins have been released into the area!

Yep exactly.

Not really heard anything stating what was kept there or anything yet just that it was hazardous materials.

BBC reported Sodium cyanide !!

Pete

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the real death toll of this reaches 1000, whether that number will ever officially be announced or not though who knows... China are known for under-reporting on things like this!

I think you may be right, ...on both counts that is. :dry:;)

Incredible video for sure, ...filmed by morons. :dry:

I mean whilst watching that unfold in front of their own eyes they must have had an idea that people were dying surely?!! Their reactions and some of the comments about the video just show how little some people are capable of empathising with others. Very sad imo.

Yes, I've just chosen to ignore them while watching the explosions. Unbelievable and shocking!

Sometimes I really wish I didn't read some of the comments (I do ignore them mostly).

Wonder how they'd feel if it was someone they loved who had been injured or even killed, ....I'm sure they'd say that was different & not appreciate people making jokes about that.

Some more of what I just read....

China has sent a team of military chemical experts to the northern city of Tianjin, after explosions left at least 50 dead, state media report.

The blasts, late on Wednesday night, ripped through an industrial port area, destroying buildings, shipping containers and thousands of new cars.

It is not known what caused the blasts, nor whether chemicals have leaked.

More than 3,500 residents are spending the night in temporary shelters. Hundreds are injured, 71 critically.

State news agency Xinhua reports that rescue workers are "racing against the clock to save the injured and contain fires", 24 hours after the massive blasts at a warehouse in the Binhai New Area.

Many of the wounded had glass or shrapnel cuts, skull injuries or fractures, Wang Siaojie of Teda Hospital said.

More than 200 experts in chemical materials from the Chinese army have arrived in Tianjin. Their first task was to test the air for toxic gases, Xinhua said.

Rescue teams were ordered to wear protective clothing, it added.

The warehouse that exploded is owned by a company called Ruihai Logistics, which handles toxic chemicals including sodium cyanide and toluene diisocyanate, according to reports.

The People's Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party, reports that rescuers "are trying to remove all the 700 tons of sodium cyanide" stored at the site. Hydrogen peroxide had been prepared to detoxify the chemical, the paper says.

The Tianjin Port Group Company said dozens of its employees were unaccounted for, according to Xinhua.

Firefighters were already at the scene when the explosions took place.

They had been called to reports of a container fire, state media said. At least 17 firefighters are among the dead.

_84867162_china_blast_624_v7.png

Apparently over 10,000 vehicles were ruined with Renault & Volkswagen being the worst affected.

_84876230_20cbd360-4e4c-4690-901c-f37803f462e6.jpg