British Telecom (BT) .......HELP

ioneabee

long story .... but basically tried to switch to BT to get infinity fibre optic - that was on 12/07/15

everything was scheduled for activation on 27/07/15 - guess what broadband turned off from previous supplier - no sign of BT engineer who was supposed to instal fibre

numerous (daily calls) to India - rescheduled to 05/08/15 ......... keep in mind no internet at all from 27th

guess what .......... no-one turned up - still not activated

more calls to India - "ahh, many apologies Mr Andrew..." say what thats my christian name ..... oh, sod it never mind "fibre is not actually available in your area" - even though I checked and they confirmed it was .............. it actually isn't !!!

so put me back on copper - arranged to be ready within 3 working days ............... oh, look a weekend again - that'll mean Monday 10/08/15 then ?

received an email tonight saying your Broadband will start on 14/08/15 - WTF

'nother telephone call to India

"yes, Mr Andrew" .......... i give up on that one "and engineer will contact you on Monday to arrange Broadband"

hang on .... you said it will be activated on Monday - not arranged for another 72 / 120 ... etc hours later

I now want to speak to complaints / manager ... whoever will sort this fiasco out

my manager will ring you tomorrow - when is your preferred time ? - my reply 9am - that is good, my manager will ring you between 8am and 6pm - again WTF and it aint gonna happen anyway

ok - so what do i do now ?

where and how can i get this sorted

can i just select another isp and start again ?

help please

+1 on Plusnet. Used them for years. They are part of BT but have their own UK call centres so you don't have to fight to find someone in the right department who understands what you need. Pretty cheap too, especially compared to BT, I think their TV offering is a little weak compared to BT themselves though if that's important to you.

Also might be worth looking at Sky, I've noticed that their predicted broadband speed is a little faster for ADSL2+ in some areas so might be good if fibre isn't an option.

From Google, but believe this is what you need;

bt.custhelp.com

Call us

Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm

Saturday 9am to 6pm

Sunday Closed

Please have your account number ready (it’s on your bill).

From a landline: 0800 800 150

From a mobile: 0330 1234 150*

From abroad: +44 179 359 6931**

Be careful if you go to sky.

No fibre where i am at the moment and Sky use the BT connect package but in the evening the speed is traffic managed ( now called network managed) and its slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Sky themselves have advised me to go to another ISP such as BT as it will be faster.

I`ve been dealing with the speed issue for a year now so going to BT.

Got the order arranged and when the email came through the phone line was to be activated on the 3rd and the broadband on the 11th so rang them up but they could not do anything about it so cancelled the order.

Then went online and re-ordered and got an e-mail to say that both would be activated on the 19th........... Fingers crossed.

Hopefully fibre will come at the end of the year.

All we get from that is

Exchange name: Otterham Station

We're keen to bring Superfast Fibre to your area and are exploring how best to achieve that. We may deliver it as part of our commercial programme, or by working in partnership with your local authority. At the moment you can't order Superfast Fibre. For more information visit the FAQ section >

When i spoke to Bt the guy just offered the info that our exchange is due a speed upgrade between October and the end of the year.

I asked does that mean fibre

and he said usually yes so its fingers crossed that we get it but you never know.

bt.custhelp.com

Call us

Saturday 9am to 6pm

Sunday Closed

Nope - thats India - no help from there as above

bt.custhelp.com

Call us

Saturday 9am to 6pm

Sunday Closed

Nope - thats India - no help from there as above

It may be worth trying the option in the menu for "you're thinking of leaving us" or whatever they call it; technically not the right department but that should go through to a UK call centre where hopefully they can get you sorted.

The last time we spoke to them it was a Geordie and we wanted to change our package to unlimited data on 40Mbps (bought an Xbox one) as the other half is the account holder she spoke to them; they did try and sell her their top package saying it was only £5 extra a month. I was sat next to her and heard them say this so I asked if I could speak to them..... I asked what extra it gave me which he said double the speed so I asked if he could do a line test.... He obliged and informed me my line was good for 35Mbps so would I like to upgrade from 40Mbps...... :surrender: can't blame a guy for trying :lol:

I told that story as I feel your pain. Good luck

Edited by Fodder

Had loads of agro this year with BT. In a nutshell, it's all down to Openreach. They do the groundwork for most service providers these days.

You just pay BT for the "service", and you as a customer cannot contact or speak to Openreach who will fit your kit.........

We are in a new house and after a year when the problem started (we had being paying line rental to BT for a year) BT stated they couldn't send us an Openreach engineer because they couldn't find our address on the drop down list, and they are not allowed to imput it manually!

They refused to type in the address that was on our electronic bill that was on the screen in front of him........ "It's not on the drop down list"..........

Unfortunately where we live it's BT or err BT, no plans here for fibre.

Just woke up to an email

we are changing your activation date from 14/08/15 to 24/08/15

un F'ing believable

That's pretty good, at least they know you're a customer.

I spoke to them last week about sport and fibre combo deals, he didn't believe the phone line was with BT. "You switched line rental to Sky sometime ago Sir". "Did I? Silly me. Well you can refund me the line rental for the last couple of years then?". "Err, i'll just look into it more closely Sir. Ohhh you do have a BT line" :lol:

The problem you've got is that even if you switch to another supplier, apart from Virgin they all piggy back off BT's network. So in essense you will still be in the situation of waiting for BT's engineers to enable Broadband on your line for the other supplier to then charge you. The crux of it is, you either go with Virgin or you wait it out with BT. There's no escaping them lol.

Par for the course I'm afraid Mr Andrew sir. Try and exercise a modicom of patience dear fellow ha ha! :surrender:

You may get connected before the due date, you never know.

When we moved from Tiscali back to BT, they were very swift and the changeover went like a dream.