Not the pictures or story I was hoping to be posting........

shire350Z

As I just dropped it on them and there really busy there hoping to have it out by the end of the week, listening to it he's hoping that grinding the crankshaft and larger bearings may be enough but just guessing until the engines out.

Parts I will definitely need are .....

Sump Gasket

Oil pump

Front crank oil seal

Rear crank oil seal

Then the sealant Nissan supply for the sump etc

Gutted, engines terminal by the sounds of it unless I spend some serious £££

Gutted for you.

I'd say if you're trying to get it up & running again as cheap as possible then just swapping the engine for a good running example will probably be the best option imo.

Try zmanalex, Ewen@Clark Motorsport or Mark@Abbey Motorsport especially as Mark already posted that they have a good running DE engine available.

We have a good S/H pre owned crank on the shelf and S/H con rods.

Also have a 12000mile DE motor for sale can be heard running as well.

Any questions ask away we have built a few VQ,s

Good luck whatever you decide. :thumbs:

Well as I said I'm no mechanic Adrian but it's a local trusted garage who are family friends and the crank I would get away with grinding down that's not to bad two new con rods and oversized bearings and think he said pistons and top end would need either checking or rebuilding not 100% now. Heads mush with what's going on with work ATM to.

The more concerning thing is where the oil went as there was hardly any in but no signs of loosing any and burning it. The lad who serviced it (there again I know him well and has always works on my zed) said it was correct when serviced around 10months ago and 800 miles so really is a mystery.

So without getting into a rebuild of not knowing exaltly what it will cost and the 'oil mystery'

Decided on another engine, had prices from £1200 to £2700 ideally I would like to hear one start up that's still in a zed so I can check oil pressure and listen to it etc, If any traders have engines and realistic prices then be good to hear from them.

Had a few firms contact me as I put a request on 1st class spares but weirdly the place that seems to have most of them is Birmingham and there 'reconditioned' which think id rather stay away from and stick to a engine that has been running fine.....

Cheers Dave,

I know what your saying Chris but it was ten months ago the service so to start insinuating that he's done that really wouldn't be the right thing to do especially when they've helped me out so much in the past, just got to forget how it happened and go for the new engine to make sure .....

Hate to say it mate, but you don't lose that much oil without knowing about it - especially with your low mileage. Sounds to me like the service lad has dropped a clanger.. :(

No offence intended to the Op but if shire350Z hasn't checked his oil level in 10 months (800 miles odd) then he's only himself to blame and not the guy who serviced the car. :dry:

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear this news James. Your Zed has been one of my favourites since I joined the forum over six years ago. I really hope you have an opportunity to get this sorted without it being too costly. Really good to see you back on the forum, although not in the best of circumstances.

• Like 1

Hate to say it mate, but you don't lose that much oil without knowing about it - especially with your low mileage. Sounds to me like the service lad has dropped a clanger.. :(

No offence intended to the Op but if shire350Z hasn't checked his oil level in 10 months (800 miles odd) then he's only himself to blame and not the guy who serviced the car. :dry:

Missed this part out sorry, I checked the oil the day before I took the car out and if anything it was slighly high that's the other bizarre thing another reason why i can't get my head around it!

• Like 1

Got to agree with GM on this only thing the service guy could have done is not tightning the sump plug or filter if that was the case you would have seen oil on your drive way .l think you should go for a second hand engine.

• Like 1

Found a engine near by only thing is that it's now out the car. Lad who's selling says he's upgrading to HR engine to turbo it and that the DE engine that's coming out is fine. Is around same age/miles as mine, seemed a genuine guy on the phone a lot more genuine than some of the breakers you speak to :lol:

D8ADB880-0634-42AD-8278-E9B7861FD636.jpg

2DB55043-1165-4CF5-86ED-E109A33E5BE8.jpg

4348C5FC-5418-4D08-A510-E97C316BCC4B.jpg

00AD9D6E-A7DE-4922-B099-92AF13E10074.jpg

Edited by shire350Z
  • Like 1

Really sorry to hear this news James. Your Zed has been one of my favourites since I joined the forum over six years ago. I really hope you have an opportunity to get this sorted without it being too costly. Really good to see you back on the forum, although not in the best of circumstances.

+1

A cracking example that inspired me to begin modifying my engine bay among other styling items. I find it hard to believe that this has happened to what is clearly a cherished Zed. Really sorry mate. I only drove mine 400 miles between MOT's last year; come November she will be taken off of the road again and I'd anticipate the annual mileage being just as low. I am now concerned that this could happen to me :scare:

Its clear that she will be back up and running; probably stronger and cleaner than before. Good luck and keep us posted :thumbs:

Edit; If it were mine I'd slowly rebuild it over the winter to a higher spec - a positive must come out of this

Edited by Ceejay29

Shire350, not sue if you have seen this thread but it sounds like your problem to me,

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/99607-zed-owners-must-read-p0011-p0021-caused-by-oil-gallery-gaskets/

, sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree (I'm just a Lurker).

Was just about to say the same

I really need to get a oil presure gauge set up