Aerial Atom - driver sentenced

NWZ

From that video the speed of his vehicle can be calculated.

If the location is known. Simply measure the distance between two points off the film (DISTANCE) - say the telegraph poles for instance. The video footage gives you the elapsed time between these two points (TIME)...... and there you have it :- (SPEED)

They worked out the passenger thought he wa in danger by lip reading. They should try and lip read what my wife says when I drive at anything over 25mph :dry:. That's not a meaningful reason to prosecute. She is the proverbial 'Toast!' women from the Catherine Tate Show.

Pretty major penalties for this guy though, he should have kept it in his pants and saved it for a track day. Or at least done a better video by pointing the camera forwards than of his own daft mug.

• Like 3

DD and speeding seem to go hand in glove, whilst i agree that sort of driving on public roads is not a good idea, you could not label it any more dangerous driving than some of the idiots i see on the road doing under the speed limit and they will never be prosecuted in the same fashion.

• Like 4

Does raise the question that anyone on a routine EVO triangle could also suffer the same fate as there no difference and the local economy may take a small hit. Not a good idea putting up on public social media though. Bit Naive

It is something to think about when fitting cameras.

Scenario: You are having a bit of 'fun' that others deem 'dangerous' - usually the old chestnut of those equating exhaust noise to speed levels. An accident happens, police arrive and see the cameras fitted. "We will take the recording for evidence , sir". The slightest indiscretion recorded, even if before the accident scene itself, might well be taken as an example of the driving.........that the police/courts deem warrants you being punished.

Don't think I need say anymore, but the above needs to be balanced with the understandable objective of a recording to show your insurance that in fact the third party was clearly to blame.

• Like 1

I suspect he had a very poor solicitor.

A well known footballer in Cheshire avoided successful prosecution for a speed in excess of 100mph in a national speed limit a while ago because the speed gun used had not been properly calibrated.

As you say, unless he admitted it straight away when questioned, or a passenger ended up as the star prosecution witness, based purely on video footage similar to that shown, the likes of Nick Freeman would have probably got him a lighter sentence.

Edited by leonk

this worried me quite a lot, not that I would ever break the limit, took my vid of driving around in my atom down a few days ago, the guy is on the atom forum and is obviously not happy, I don't know all the details but it certainly seems that he must have been unlucky with the statement, driving an atom with one hand is very hard, the use of the phone was silly, with no power steering it is dangerous..

The guy is a total wally and obviously so full of him self as the video construes.

I would not go as far as saying that he is a total prat but anybody that does not have mince between their ears would have had a forward facing cam.

As had been previously said a good lawyer would have got him off.

However the poor guy with the Atom may have been on legal aid. :shrug:

Sorry, I dont understand this, how is he being prosecuted when you can't tell what Road he's on, the speed or the distance from anything? All you can see is his mug?

I couldn't understand if it was a forward facing camera but its not? You can't tell anything from that video?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 with Tapatalk

Sorry, I dont understand this, how is he being prosecuted when you can't tell what Road he's on, the speed or the distance from anything? All you can see is his mug?

I couldn't understand if it was a forward facing camera but its not? You can't tell anything from that video?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 with Tapatalk

a combination of road signs, seizing the video and the guy actually admitting it.