Jump to content

HaydnH

Members
  • Posts

    5,184
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by HaydnH

  1. I thought that was pretty clear if you do the 9 questions.
  2. I would suggest starting with a consumer NAS box (network attached storage) with at least 2 hard drives running RAID, this plugins in to your router via a network cable and is accesible from any device on the network which will be useful in the future if you expand and have multiple people needing the same data. As you have no need for mega performance (that you would need for video editing etc) RAID 1 known as mirroring would suit your needs, in laymans terms this tells the NAS box that when you write to the box it will write the data to all the disks at once (hence mirroring) so that if one fails you can swap it for a different disk and the contents from the surviving disk will be resynced on to the new one. You can add more disks to RAID 1 for extra resilience, so if you have 3 disks in a RAID 1 setup and 2 fail at the same you still have 1 good disk to get the data from, this obviously has the down side that for each GB of data you want you need to by 2+ times that amount of storage, although HDDs are relatively cheap anyway, especially compared to the cost of losing the data. This may also has the benefit of faster read times as the data can be taken from more than 1 disk at a time although that will depend on the NAS box and network config. If you had enough disks and wanted to save a little cash you could opt for RAID 3, 4 or 5 which without going in to too much detail stripes the data across the disks but uses one of them as a parity. As a simplified example, if you had 5 disks and striped data across them the first 4 may read 1, 0, 1, 0, as the sum of those bits is even the 5th disk, or parity, would be a 1, therefore losing any one of the disks would allow you to figure out the missing 1 or 0. While this is cheaper, for the amount of data you're talking about I would personally stick to RAID 1 as per above. Further, I would ensure you have the monitoring service on the NAS setup and tested so that if a disk fails you know about it immediately, this is usually in the form of an e-mail but there will also be green/red lights on the box that you should check regularly. Buying an additional spare disk (or 2) is also a good idea so that you have them on hand when a disk fails, you'd be suprised how often disks fail at close to the same time. It's also a good idea to test how you would swap out a failed disk before you put your data on there (just with some test data) and document the procedure yourself rather than relying on the manufacturers process. Once that's done and you have your local data fairly resilient, I would create an off site backup solution as well, you never know when your office is going to get robbed/burn down/get blown up by terrorists etc. The cloud is a great place for this and many modern consumer NAS boxes have cloud partners for off site backups. You could go with tape or a seperate portable HDD for this but if you're not a professional IT guy I'd personally go with the cloud as they will have the experience. Hope that helps, Haydn.
  3. You may want to post this in the "Wanted" section... unless you're asking yourself if you have them in stock?
  4. Mark, I reckon you should create a mod review magazine on your website.
  5. What? They made it sound crap on purpose so you'll turn it off and listen to the exhaust?
  6. The first one is irrelevant After this weeks performance I think you might be right.
  7. Don't worry SMD, it's a anyway.
  8. Sadly I won't be able to make this. Wales vs NZ and Eng vs RSA the same day.
  9. For that kind of money I'd be looking at a Sag or a different T350 at about 2/3 the price. If I had £35k to spend I'd go for a supercharged 350Z Roadster.
  10. It might be worth adding a quick comment regarding checking things before you get in the car each time as well as the weekly/monthly checks, I get fed up of trying to wave at people with blown bulbs etc. Maybe if they're rich kids, it's probably not worth the effort for an old £200 Nova though.
  11. You could always pop along to the Abbey Dyno day and see what numbers you get.
  12. I have blue dye:) !!! Surely blue dye on red seats would make purple?
  13. Is the race ticketed or just a turn up and watch thing? What time(s) is it on Sunday?
  14. The car was actually dirty that day, I really want to know how on earth the photo turned out like that.
  15. I wish I could find those deep dish alloys on the rear of the yellow roadster. Having said that I seem to like the standard rays more and more as time goes on.
  16. Thanks... I think.
  17. I sent a message yesterday as well and got the exact same response, all I asked for was where the cars based so I could take a look and he completely ignored the question. GLWTS Mr Ebayer.
  18. Meh, you can mail it to me if you want... I run Linux so I doubt it'll affect me.
  19. Agreed. Disagreed (probably biased though) Besides with a decent cone filter and exhaust and the roof down the noise is phenomenal! Is that the best photo you could find showing how a roadster doesn't look ugly? How about Clown's photo:
  20. How about something like this, with only 12k miles it'll last you a long time and comes in at under £5k if you haggle: http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p They're suprisingly good on beach type terrain, a little under powered for standing starts on large dunes though but fine with a little run up (I'm talking Dubai sized sand dunes).
  21. Personally I'd prefer to put my little pony stickers all over my car than put stickers/badges on that make the car out to be something it isn't (like the M3 comment above). I'm not sure Nismo stickers fall in to that category though as long as you're not trying to pretend it's some limited edition Nismo or something.
  22. Don't concentrate on such small things, concentrate on what matters and nobody will care about how you sign off an e-mail.
  23. Does it matter how much knowledge the person delivering the trainging course has? If he'd been prepped properly and was delivering material about the best lines to take around a race track written by Michael Schumacher in a friendly and competent manner would you complain?
  24. Seems strange, but worth checking out if you're in the market.
  25. I've not heard of any other drivers retiring from Monaco and going straight to their boat for a beer.
×
×
  • Create New...