Another what tyre thread...

jr6yam

Buy what you can afford - if you are planning on buying some bling for the car, drop that for a few months and put the money on the tyres.

MPSS seems to be the king of tyres as I am sure you have seen from the responses but that is reflected in the price. Also consider your driving style, I generally dont drive fast and like to just take it easy, I have never owned MPSS, I have never had to crawl out of a ditch either. Its the driver that finds the ditch rather than the tyres in most instances I would say.

Generally I would avoid any budget tyres like has been highlighted, if you are a guy who likes to pootle about mid range Falkens or the like are fine (had them on my zed for 18 months and I survived) but there are some good deals out there at the moment on the various sites so might be worth buying something on deal to get better performing tyres for the budget you have in mind.

A useful site http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ although bear in mind half the reviews are people driving people carriers etc.

rather than look at the reviews that the general public give a tyre (bearing in mind different usage/perception of what is 'good'/driver ability) instead look at the multitude of tyre tests on the same site, here:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Tests/#summer

You'll be particularly interested in the ultra high performance/max performance categories, and even from a quick glance it appears that Continental ContiSportContact 5s and Goodyear Eagle F1s fare very well in numerous tests.

A relevant test from 2012 considering the tyres recommended on here: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

The results for those that can't be bothered to read it all:

1st - MPSS: Best balance of wet and dry performance.

2nd - Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position: Good balance, but not as good as MPSS.

3rd - AD08 (note: Not the later AD08R): Fastest in dry, not so good in wet.

Tooooo many tyre threads/questions and its always the same answer mostly, mpss, it should be a sticky, just buy mpss :)

I have no objection to that being the common answer, great tyre as said, but i wonder how many people (apart from the obvious) have actually got any balance to their their answer, i,e what other premium brands have been tried to make the judgement.

Dunlop sport maxx are as good as if not better than MPS.Better in the wet and superb in the dry.No sqeal in dry weather =excelent wet weather performance.Mps tend to roll thier tread quite a lot more than the Dunlops.Always had the mps' s fitted to the M3s I used when working with MSVR, fast laps would always start to increase the tread roll thus increasing lap times-something that simply doesn't affect the Dunlops.

It's a no-brainer, MPSS.

There are other good tyres, like the Eagle F1s for example, but even they're not quite as good all round as the Michelins which will also last longer than the competition.

10000 miles on mine still going and griping strong

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I've put a few hundred miles on the tyres now; and they're good :cloud9:

Overall the tyre noise is less, but on some surfaces they can drone a bit

Dry grip is very good, wet grip is superb

The sidewalls feel a bit softer - than the Bridgestones - which gives a 'plush' ride

I like 'em. Good job after forking out 600 notes!!!

Did a track day at Rockingham on NS2-R's on my 135 at weekend. They were good, predictable, hard wearing ......... but didnt grip anywhere near as much as Id hoped even when up to temp, arguably only as much as an MPSS does.

Top marks for durability but not so much for grip :(

• Like 1

Did a track day at Rockingham on NS2-R's on my 135 at weekend. They were good, predictable, hard wearing ......... but didnt grip anywhere near as much as Id hoped even when up to temp, arguably only as much as an MPSS does.

Top marks for durability but not so much for grip :(

Which compound Doc?

Vredestein ultrac sessanta on mine. Awesome grip in wet and dry. Look comparable to the MPSS for scores though.

They were my thoughts witth the Vreds having had them on the 370.....but then I changed to MPSS and they are in a different league altogether as the grip, wet or dry, only made me wonder why I had not changed earlier.