Stop press (Top Gear):

Shenley

I know its petty, but its already annoyed me he said he didnt want the job, but, no denying his talent and popularity, not a fan personally however but will be interesting to see the new format and other team choices.

When you want the job.....at your price....you don't jump and down with glee at the prospect so that you don't get offered the millions you want.

But jury is out in my book as to whether he makes or breaks the show.

I know its petty, but its already annoyed me he said he didnt want the job, but, no denying his talent and popularity, not a fan personally however but will be interesting to see the new format and other team choices.

When you want the job.....at your price....you don't jump and down with glee at the prospect so that you don't get offered the millions you want.

I was going to mention the money aspect of course and fully appreciate your not going to show enthusiasm, but, no need to be quoted publically saying, I dont want it.

Fully agree he will make or break it, he is a very large character but in a different way to JC, much more diplomatic but has a large ego that needs massaging just as carefully. I cant argue with the masses though and know I am in the minority.

I find him irritating but there can be little doubt about his enthusiasm for cars, this will be worth a watch and he is likely to bring new viewers so at least in the early days numbers should rise.

good luck to him, how can anyone condemn the show when it hasn't even been made let alone broadcast.

I would like to see Chris Harris as one of the other two presenters.

I think his youtube stuff is great, plus he does a bit of racing too. Very enthusiastic guy and I think his personality would work well against Evans'

As for the potential third presenter, I hope its not an appointment based on BBC target meeting political correctness.

I would like to see Chris Harris as one of the other two presenters.

I think his youtube stuff is great, plus he does a bit of racing too. Very enthusiastic guy and I think his personality would work well against Evans'

As for the potential third presenter, I hope its not an appointment based on BBC target meeting political correctness.

He has the entertainment value of a sponge, yes he knows he stuff and can drive but he sounds bored and uninterested 90% of the time

• Like 2

Almost 100% it will. The BBC's new guidelines pretty much dictate that. Possibly a black guy too, to make sure that everyone feels included.

It will be three big names though, as the brand is too important to risk unknowns like Harris or Ford.

• Like 1

He may not be 'grumpy' enough for some 😱

Wait and see then comment.... he's just said on radio 5 there will defo be a female presenter among the team yaaaaay! Well as long as she's good we defo want amazing motors that you can never get to see otherwise and be entertained........fingers crossed 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so whats the general consensus - will the new line up include anyone from the fairer sex?

my guess is it wont!

He's just said on radio 5 that it will defo include a woman :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Evans says a lot of things, like 'I don't want the top gear job' :lol:

I'm still saying it wont, after all, former top gear did 22 series without a female, all the worldwide versions of the show are without females, and it just wouldn't be top gear - unless they're moving away from the 'three blokes larking about' format.

Chris Evans says a lot of things, like 'I don't want the top gear job' :lol:

I'm still saying it wont, after all, former top gear did 22 series without a female, all the worldwide versions of the show are without females, and it just wouldn't be top gear - unless they're moving away from the 'three blokes larking about' format.

doesnt the german version have sabine?

Just hope the 'show' reverts to being more about the cars than the presenters. :snack:

And then they will lose half the viewers.... its entertainment with cars, not a car show.

He's the only person in the world who could save it.

Hell, even I might watch it again now!

Or run it into the ground

Well, I'll give it a go and see what happens, if you don't watch you can't comment.

You may be right there

This is why it won't work the show will be 100% about cars which is what will kill it after a series or two as the number of viewers will dwindle as tho looking for lighten entertainment on a Sunday will get bored

You do know who Chris Evans is, right? The guy who made his name in irreverant light entertainment, and then brought new life to the Radio 2 Breakfast Show which is now more successful than it's ever been?

He's done everything from DFYT and TGI for the young 'uns, right up to proving himself a worthy successor to Terry Wogan and keeping the older generation happy. If he cannot do it, then it cannot be done.

Also, he knobbed Rose from Dr Who, which automatically makes him a bit of a legend.

By the way, he loves cars too

Since when does he love cars? He loves golf (and what was the back story to the rallycross episode - what else could you do for the price of a set of golf bats) and Ferraris...... he is a collector, not a petrolhead. Cars are bought and stored for viewing only.

I really dont like him either, but will wait and see what its like.

Edited by grahamc

I was going to mention the money aspect of course and fully appreciate your not going to show enthusiasm, but, no need to be quoted publically saying, I dont want it.

Fully agree he will make or break it, he is a very large character but in a different way to JC, much more diplomatic but has a large ego that needs massaging just as carefully. I cant argue with the masses though and know I am in the minority.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/chris-evans-originally-ruled-himself-out-of-top-gear-to-avoid-becoming-a-pawn-in-a-game-10325248.html

It could be something he made up post job acceptance but there is an element of believability that he didnt want to have a load of gossip (and it would have been) going around when his mates were still sorting out their BBC careers.

At the end of the day, we can only rely on what the media tell us and believe it to be true (unless anyone on here has gone around to CE house and had a heart to heart on the subject?) - given that he is worth £100m+ I am pretty sure arguing over £800k vs £900k on a BBC contract is rather inconsequential, and it could well be that he just didnt want to get involved in a big public issue at that time - I know I wouldnt!

Since when does he love cars? He loves golf (and what was the back story to the rallycross episode - what else could you do for the price of a set of golf bats) and Ferraris...... he is a collector, not a petrolhead. Cars are bought and stored for viewing only.

When I have seen him interviewed by top gear guys and on other occasions (like when he was at Goodwood the other year and I was stood a yard away as he spoke with a few guests) he displays in general good intimate knowledge of cars, events, history - he doesnt strike me as a rich guy sticking cars into a lock up never to be seen again but someone who has that passion and knows his stuff.

im pretty sure i'll be watching it. After all, it can't be worse than the US version, and i like that!

Whilst in South Korea I watched their TG version, couldn't understand a single word but it was hilarious! They even attempted to get the 3 guys to look like and dress like Clarkson and co...that was funny enough on its own.

• Like 1

When I have seen him interviewed by top gear guys and on other occasions (like when he was at Goodwood the other year and I was stood a yard away as he spoke with a few guests) he displays in general good intimate knowledge of cars, events, history - he doesnt strike me as a rich guy sticking cars into a lock up never to be seen again but someone who has that passion and knows his stuff.

Disagree..... Goodwood is good, but its also posers heaven!! He strikes me as exactly that..... a car collector, not an enthusiast.

• Like 1

I am not sure a car enthusiast would have all his Ferraris painted white so they match, didnt he also say he doesnt drive them, just looks at them (think in TG itself), however, he does let people drive them for charitable donations which is pretty cool, certainly not a petrolhead though.

Looking forward to seeing the format though, for better or worse, be very interesting to see which route they follow and in with regards to co presenters, one of the reasons i think JC's TG worked so well was because of the relationship between the 3, whilst ever they bickered and behaved like fools, it seemed they genuinely got on well and it was like watching 3 mates twatting around in cars and who cant relate to having a laugh with your mates centred around cars/road trips/opinions etc

• Like 1

For me it's the format I will miss.

Like others I watch fifth gear which is ok but doesn't have the buzz for me that the format of May Hammond & Clarkson as a team did.

I'm not a fan of the BBC anyway so will probably give the new show a miss.

They'll be back on another channel once the dust has settled.

Yes the three mates having a laugh worked really well and it wont be the same, but it shouldn't be and it needs to take its own path with the presenters they have. All you will get if you try and replicate it are people complaining 'its not the same' etc.

I am rather neutral about Chris Evans but happy to watch the show and see how it goes, admittedly I got bored of the old format and had stopped bothering to watch it. But is Chris Evans a petrol head, who knows, its all conjecture and interpretation based on the limited info you read in the media. I certainly saw as many petrolheads as I did posers at Goodwood (I was there with the guys off this forum actually who are all petrolheads!).

Anyone who thinks Evans isn't a petrolhead wants their head examining. He's more keen on them than either Hammond or May are!

Read his books and see for yourself. He moved heaven and earth to get that GTO.