Denmark / Norway / Sweden Road Trip - Have you been?

Stutopia

Me and a couple of mates are heading for a 2 week road trip round Denmark / Norway / Sweden, I'm just securing my Volvo rental (as I refuse to take the zed all that way, just to put snow socks on her) and doing a route. Has anyone got any tips on:

• things to see and do?

• places to see (beyond the capitals!)?

• roads to drive?

• the cheapest way to get drunk in Scandinavia?

• how to look manly in a sauna full of 7ft vikings?

Really want to do some sort of karting or driving experience on snow, so any tips there would be amaze ballz!

Thanks.

Stu

Spent a bit of time in Denmark and Norway a few years ago. Alcohol is crazy money and we used to trade a bottle of scotch for beers . Norway is also huge - if you pivoted it through 180 degrees it would reach Portugal. Denmark was fairly ordinary as regards roads - quite flat. This was before the bridge was built between Jutland and Zeeland and they ran ferries. I would concentrate on Norway and see how far North you can get. The Arctic Circle is about 1100 clicks North of Oslo but makes sure there are plenty of fuel stops en route

• Like 1

I drove across Sweden and back in August 1981 in a prearranged Cosmos holiday. Drove from Gothenberg to Stockholm fairly directly then back to Gothenberg on a northerly route taking in parts of Norway. Nice country but very expensive to eat out, drink, shop, etc. Weather was already on the turn in late August as summers are fairly brief up there . Roads are very good and well maintained considering the climate and the country is nice and clean. English is spoken by just about everyone born after WW2 so no communication problems.

Pete

• Like 1

I've been to Oslo before, so I'm braced for the prices, not much change out of £8 for a pint :scare: Might catch a moose early on and just put it on the roof of the Volvo, should last for snacks for a the fortnight :lol:

Arctic Circle is a good shout, I'd like to get up that far and see the Atlantic road along the way.

atlantic%20road.jpg

EYS63Mz.jpg

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

A chap recently was asking about Scandic trips - maybe he's got some further ideas?

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/95588-road-trip-scandinavia/

Sadly my trip is on hold for the moment, but watching this with interest. Driving the Zed 1500 miles to get to Norway might not be the best idea!

I was tempted to take the Zed, but I just didn't want to stick 3k on her just getting to and from the start of a road trip. If I'm doing that it best be somewhere warm where I can enjoy her, like down to Monaco or Italy. I've got no real idea what the Scando roads will be like inland (where I believe you can still ski this time of year), away from the milder coast the average temps can be low, so I planned on a Range Rover Sport rental, as I've never driven an RR and thought it might be fun and vaguely practical.

Sadly that's gone to balls now as they all have only limited mileage (max 1800-2000km) then it's something mental like 40-90p per KM after that and I can see us doing over 3000km in total. A few lads have dropped out, so the bills are going to be considerable if I'm not careful. Probably end up with 5 series / E class / A6 which will be rubbish in the cold but at least it's someone elses! :lol:

Edited by SuperStu

Done Sweden a few times, both North and South. There is nothing to do or see :lol:

The scenery is beautiful and the roads are all good, but short of the ice hotel waaay up north, there's nothing worth noting in my opinion.

Ive done a fair amount of business out there, they only come out late at night so be prepared to start drinking at midnight, or later ......... BTW, shop around on hire car, youll find not everyone limits miles :)

Not everyone sp[eaks English either, youre OK in cities but more rural places can be a little tricky. The beer will give you the shits as well, or at least thats my experience :lol:

Only cheap way to get drunk is to get on a Ferry to Estonia. Seriously :lol:

Edited by docwra

I've been trawling all the rental sites, so far the most interesting cars (M5, RR Sport, M235, Jaaaag XK, Toyota GT86) are all limited miles. The best unlimited I've seen so far are 5 series, Jaaag XF, Audi A5, Volvo (when in Rome) which are all fine cars but don't really give me the fizz.

Thanks KyleR - really looking forward to it now :lol: