Road Trip - Scandinavia

Paddy78

I've been meaning to do a road trip for a while and Denmark, Sweden and Norway are taking my fancy. A rough route I have in mind is: Leeds to Hull, Ferry to Zebrugge, Zebrugge to Hamburg, Hamburg to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to Gotenburg, Gotenburg to Oslo, Oslo to Bergen, Ferry back to Denmark and then home.

Anyone been to any of these places or can recommend places to visit en route? Main concern is not being able to get super unleaded in remoter parts, but I can take octain booster and won't be hammering it all the time!

Why not use Hull/Rotterdam ferry cuts out a bit of the boring drive through Belguim and Holland, it's a shame DFDS closed their Harwich/Esbjerg last year. Can't help with Norway as never been that far north.

I'd highly recommend Norway - we had an outstanding holiday driving the wife's civic between Fjords and mountains a few years back. Just find a rocky patch on the map (Geringer and Voss areas are nice) and drive there - it's all stunning. German camper vans are a bit of an annoyance though, as they bimble very slowly up the few narrow roads. We got there by Jupiter Line ferry from Newcastle into Bergen. Rather a shame that that service has stopped running, as it was an overnight hoot.

Norwegian food is a bit hit and miss though - be careful with the sausages (which look like Bratwurst) - I swear the ones we bought were pure (revolting) whale blubber.

Off topic, but Iceland (hire car 4WD Skoda this time) is also a great Scandic destination - although obviously further out - it's a much bigger island that you'd think, and speed limits are low, so getting around takes ages. Very cool driving along over a warm ex-lava outflow one minute, then going over a bluff and round a corner to drive in icy frozen glacial outflow the next.. And glaciers in a river lagoon.. and puffin for dinner.. :thumbs: