Clarkson suspended by the BBC..!!

WhackyWill

Purely from an academic perspective it's interesting/weird to think that there are 500,000 people who are prepared to sign a petition to support someone when they have no idea of the facts.

It got me to thinking - who are they?

UKIP "style" supporters yearning for a return of an "earlier" Britain which they mourn the loss of?

Genuine "lovers' of Jeremy Clarkson?

People just doing it for a laugh to see what happens?

A genuine vote against the management of the BBC?

Something less rational than any of those?

I think it's a combination of all of those, along with the added "herd mentality" aspect. As soon as something is posted on Facebook, it instantly becomes internet fact and there's a certain element of those who just want to "belong".

You see it on here from certain people who post stuff up just because the internet said so, without taking the time to find out the actual facts behind it. You even see it on here where Facebook conversations are posted up and presented as fact. :lol:

• Like 1

Purely from an academic perspective it's interesting/weird to think that there are 500,000 people who are prepared to sign a petition to support someone when they have no idea of the facts.

It got me to thinking - who are they?

UKIP "style" supporters yearning for a return of an "earlier" Britain which they mourn the loss of?

Genuine "lovers' of Jeremy Clarkson?

People just doing it for a laugh to see what happens?

A genuine vote against the management of the BBC?

Something less rational than any of those?

I think it's a combination of all of those, along with the added "herd mentality" aspect. As soon as something is posted on Facebook, it instantly becomes internet fact and there's a certain element of those who just want to "belong".

You see it on here from certain people who post stuff up just because the internet said so, without taking the time to find out the actual facts behind it. You even see it on here where Facebook conversations are posted up and presented as fact. :lol:

Cold ice water buckets for a charity they neither heard of or care about for instance? ;)

But yes it is ridiculous that so many people have chosen to support someone regardless of what they might have done without knowing the facts. Actually though that's the mentality of your core UKIP supporter so there are plenty of them out there!

• Like 1

he'll be very very sorry. he'll be let off. service will resume as normal.

although if he did actually punch someone, something like a mahoosive fine and maybe suspended for 3 months without pay might be appropriate.

Or just suspended for 11 months... just enough time for the BBC to make the next series of Top Gear complete with three "previously unseen bonus episodes". ;)

he'll be very very sorry. he'll be let off. service will resume as normal.

although if he did actually punch someone, something like a mahoosive fine and maybe suspended for 3 months without pay might be appropriate.

I've spent most of my working life in the public sector. Twenty years ago you could argue that people were treated pretty leniantly over issues such as conduct and sick etc but that's all changed now. There's very little faffing about when people do things wrong and it's quite common for people to be sacked for misconduct of one sort or another (unlike the large private company my other half works for where they seem to let people get away with pretty much anything). Certainly where I work if you punched or aimed a punch at someone (unless you were you defending yourself) you'd be gone. Quick investigation to establish the facts then get yer coat and get down the job centre.

Edited by sipar69

Or maybe they just bumped the filming up as they now had space.

I saw that post too, could've been written by anyone. Has anyone even been to Dunsfold today to check?

Not seen any today, but yesterday there was at least one "live report" from the outside overlooking the track, through the fence, where specifically "The Stig and Jeremy Clarkson would normally be recording on a Wednesday" (according to the report) . There was no one in sight (barring the reporter of course).

Edited by ilogikal1

I saw that post too, could've been written by anyone. Has anyone even been to Dunsfold today to check?

Not seen any today, but yesterday there was at least one "live report" from the outside overlooking the track, through the fence, where specifically "The Stig and Jeremy Clarkson would normally be recording on a Wednesday" (according to the report) . There was no one in sight (barring the reporter of course).

Sky flew their helicopter over it yesterday and it was empty, no activity.. :scare:

Well these contradict each other, and I know which one I'm believing :lol:

Sky flew their helicopter over it yesterday and it was empty, no activity.. :scare:

Well these contradict each other, and I know which one I'm believing :lol:

They did a live report from the Sky Chopper and Dunsfold was empty..!! :scare:

Just to add a bit more "intrigue". Now, I can't remember where I read this, I think it was the BBC website, apparently the "3 amigos" were due to sign new 3 year contracts during the next few days. They apparently have not done so. Now, a cynical person might conclude that they've had a better offer and JC elected for a gross misconduct dismissal so they can all sign up elsewhere. If this has been mentioned earlier I apologise but I'm not reading through nearly 9 pages :surrender: Anyone else seen this?

But were they signing a new contract as their current ones are expiring? If so then no need to get 'fired' I would have thought?

I would love to see them go off to Sky TV with its more limited viewing audience and see some new blood come in and make Top Gear a more exciting programme to watch again :)