The great 350Z heated seat switch switch

ilogikal1

Yeah, alright, it's not that great but the orientation implemented by Nissan was driving me nuts, so I switched them switches around today. Seeing as I have a number of pictures I thought I'd stick up a thread - I did a quick search but couldn't see an existing one, so apologies if this is a repost of sorts.

As you'll know, the switches leave the factory in the wrong place. Like this;

20150221_123506_zps0b90e0f6.jpg

That's always bugged me. To change this, you'll need to remove the lower centre console - I followed this guide, although I didn't remove the gear knob but rather removed the 8 screws holding the silver trim to the rest of it. Also, in part 3 where he mentions "There will be a wiring harness attached to the console, unconnect and the console is out" it was actually attached to the console itself (more details below) which restricted access to "unconnect" (sic) it. I say was, because it's not any more...

Once the console is out the first thing to do is take it inside where it's warm. :lol:

Underneath it will look like this;

20150221_140815_zps8b98bc9c.jpg

That white harness was connected to that grey clip-type-thing-I-have-no-idea-what-the-actual-name-for-is here;

20150221_140841_zpsc8ac0266.jpg

It does actually slide off that clip, but before I broke mine it may have only come off in one direction... I have no idea what direction that would be when in the car though. :teeth:

This is the view of it from the gear stick, just for reference of the location - it's easy enough to reach whilst in the once the gear stick trim is out of the way, but the release is on the underside which made it a bit awkward to reach from above.

20150221_141147_Fotor_zps58446fa1.jpg

Anyway, once the console is out, you'll need to disconnect the wiring harnesses - the release is on the handbrake side, so grey one first even though it's the brown one and the blank you'll want to move - and then undo these four highlighted screws - only two hold the metal plate in place but they all have to come out.

a9312c76-c766-4895-aa7a-087292c15b03_zpsa3094e88.jpg

That'll leave you with this;

20150221_143658_zpsdabe4574.jpg

20150221_143628_zps27e5616f.jpg

20150221_143611_zps9f7aa1f3.jpg

You might notice the switches and harnesses are colour coded. Which is handy when putting it all back together again. :lol:

The switches & blank then need to come out of the housing. On the below picture it's the lower-most release that holds them in place, so with a flat-bladed screwdriver I just (gently!) lifted the tab on one side and pushed the switch out from the top;

20150221_143830_Fotor_zpsebdbe722.jpg

Leaving me with this;

20150221_144342_zps95579043.jpg

20150221_144402_Fotor_zps5b14d9f5.jpg

Me being me, I took the opportunity to clean (and dress) everything... even the underside of... well, everything (switches, trim, console, false floor in the cubby, carpet under the console, everything!). :lol:

From this;

20150221_145117_zpsa86a00db.jpg

To this;

20150221_145747_zps234cfcf3.jpg

Then putting it all back together is the reverse of the above. Start by putting the switches back in the places you want them in, replace the housing in the console, realise that both of the switches are upside down now, take them back out, turn them around, put them back in the console, realise you got distracted mid-turn and turned the same one round twice rather than each one round once, take them out, mumble swear words to yourself, finally do it properly and put it all back together one last time;

20150221_160340_Fotor_zps3b6fa850.jpg

The last step it to curse Nissan for doing it wrong in the first place. Then you're done. :yahoo:

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 2

Wishing you and your passengers many hot bums for the future ha ha!

I've never actually found the need to use the heated seats yet. Would have to be well below zero before I switched them on.

Might give them a try before the weather warms up.

Can understand them being used for driving with the top down though :teeth:

• Like 1

Wishing you and your passengers many hot bums for the future ha ha!

I've never actually found the need to use the heated seats yet. Would have to be well below zero before I switched them on.

Might give them a try before the weather warms up.

Can understand them being used for driving with the top down though :teeth:

Oh I don't actually use them. :lol:

They're useless, they take forever to actually heat up at all and by time they do you've already arrived at your destination and been sat in the warm for 3 days. :dry:

Nice mod, nice guide, you'll be doing an aerial swap next :lol:

I love that you've pretended this was a button switch, just to cover up wanting to apply mad cow mango sauce to the undeside of the interior plastics :ninja:

:lol:

You couldn't be more wrong... it was Wolf's Chemicals Silk Milk, actually. :blush:

I use my heated seats all the time so don't get you guys that don't. :dry::shrug:

It's funny though when you accidentally turn them on & don't realise, ...makes you think you've wet yourself at first as it starts to feel all warm down there. :lol:

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 2

I use my heated seats all the time so don't get you guys that don't. :dry::shrug:

It's funny though when you accidentally turn them on & don't realize, ...makes you think you've wet yourself at first as it starts to feel all warm down there. :lol:

Yep. Use mine a lot too. Love the warm on a winters morning :)

This is one of those mods that I will get round to doing eventually. Excellent pics and guide.

• Like 1

Nice to see a few more are doing this mod.

Makes way for the must have aux/secret switch! Lol

c83b4f2f5aaa04cd8b642fef5f11d2fe_zps7e7b2ca1.jpg

Ooooh, what's this? I like fighter jet switches!

Ejector seat!

1531d1d6a73b05c83f942cb15628056c_zps29f8183f.jpg

Runs my Dash camera so it's easily switched on while on the move if I come across something interesting!

• Like 2

Nice to see a few more are doing this mod.

Makes way for the must have aux/secret switch! Lol

c83b4f2f5aaa04cd8b642fef5f11d2fe_zps7e7b2ca1.jpg

Ooooh, what's this? I like fighter jet switches!

Ejector seat!

1531d1d6a73b05c83f942cb15628056c_zps29f8183f.jpg

Runs my Dash camera so it's easily switched on while on the move if I come across something interesting!

Damn it!..... I thought it energised the thrust vector control system used in conjunction with the big silver button :doh:

Andy... Where did you get the switch from? Been looking for one that will fit. Need it for my exhaust valve. Had a hole there for the last couple of years.

Lot's on eBay BBK. ;)

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Illuminated-LED-ON-OFF-Toggle-Switch-Aircraft-Missile-Style-Flip-Up-Cover-/261345030139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=560251468651&hash=item3cd960affb

Might be slightly different to Andy's though so wait & see what he says. :thumbs:

I've got plenty of toggle switches here, was after a rocker that looked fairly OEM, and, crucially, fits in the hole without any/much hassle

Depending on what specifically you're after, a spare heated seat switch with the white logo removed would have the lights at either end, or a traction control/fuel filler flap button with the logo removed would fit I would think. If either of those will do you, try Zmanalex. Similarly the switches from the 370 are the same size if any of those take your fancy.

I've seen this company in America that offers customised rocker switches, but not looked for anywhere in the UK.

Has anybody found a way of making the heated seats actually stay on? Mine take an age to get warm, then they seem to turn off for a bit, then come on for a bit, etc... I just want them 'on' and if I get too hot I'll use the button!?

I would think they run on a thermostat to stop them overheating which is why you get the affect of them coming on and off.

Has anybody found a way of making the heated seats actually stay on? Mine take an age to get warm, then they seem to turn off for a bit, then come on for a bit, etc... I just want them 'on' and if I get too hot I'll use the button!?

Had this problem on a previous car, and the solution which a lot of owners did was to upgrade the thermostat. You wouldn't want it to run without a thermostat though or you could end up with a fire.