Is this a sensible target?

overlord93

Seriously, thats why you want it to beat 5.x seconds which on paper is what your mates cars do? Not being funny but not everyone is made the same, I am sure Brillo in a Focus ST would 'beat' me in a Porsche 911 because I am crap at driving fast and he goes track driving ten times a year!

• Like 1

overlord93:

You'll possibly get defensive over this but so be it.

On this forum, we get loads of potential owners or new owners asking the same crap over and over without searching - have a search/flick through the pages to see how often these questions are asked and what the replies are.

Usually comes down to - you've bought the wrong kind of car, need to go forced induction, or dropping some serious cash on the engine/chassis/drivetrain to have some work done if it's staying NA & lightening at all costs.

It's a GT car - with sporting capabilities - it's NOT a sports car (IMHO), it's a compromised car but HAS potential with ££££.

Now watch these - and you'll get a better idea if you can't be arsed to read:

https://www.youtube....h?v=QsW3nB70LkA

https://www.youtube....h?v=3M2nSMzdxg8 (ok - subtitles so you've STILL got to read)

http://my350z.com/forum/

Go have a look there as well.

Edited by RobPhoboS

No we go to track days, and we have a lot of rivalry about everything, I'll enjoy the 350z don't you worry about that

Thought this would be the case. A 350Z on track will be pretty closely matched to the cars youve mentioned, acceleration to 60 doesnt really have anything to do with it once youre moving anyway.

I regularly go out with a group of lads with Clios, S2K's, Modded Coopers S's, FI MX5's and it comes down to the drivers, even the GTR's that come out with us are doing pretty similar as the drivers arent as experienced. However, one thing I can tell you is that those of us in the RWD cars have more fun over the course of a full day. The only thing Id say is after a while youll start to feel the weight of the Zed and youll start to want more power, hence why Im selling mine ;)

As a car to drive to track they are difficult to beat for the money, the only stuff that comes close are Boxsters, E36/E46 M3's and S2K's and those all have their own failings too ;)

Cough' date=' Cough...Post three. ;)

That is what I meant by Diff. Should have said final drive really.[/quote']

I believe you, honest .......... but a shorter diff will give less traction due to increased torque, not more ;)

ah, if you're gonna track it, I wouldn't recommend a 350z. too heavy as standard, will be very hard on brakes and tyres, and you'll need to spend money on suspension mods to make it corner well. for track work you need something light and moderately powerful - a well set up s2000 or a turboed MX5 might be overtaken on the straights by a zed, but will make it up and then some under braking and through the corners.

if you get something light AND powerful (S2000 with a supercharger, VX220 turbo with the wick turned up a bit) then it'll monster everything everywhere!

• Like 1

ah, if you're gonna track it, I wouldn't recommend a 350z. too heavy as standard, will be very hard on brakes and tyres, and you'll need to spend money on suspension mods to make it corner well. for track work you need something light and moderately powerful - a well set up s2000 or a turboed MX5 might be overtaken on the straights by a zed, but will make it up and then some under braking and through the corners.

if you get something light AND powerful (S2000 with a supercharger, VX220 turbo with the wick turned up a bit) then it'll monster everything everywhere!

I got something light and powerful to replace my track Zed ;)

Other than that - what he said is spot on and I built a very track oriented Zed!

I understand what you guys have said, maybe I should accept its power, and deal with it, as I love the car.

If these cars are gt cars why do some maybe people use them for drift bases, and the sort?

They are great GT cars, but they are also great B road cars also, especially with a few suspension mods such as coilovers and Eibach ARBs. There aren't massive power gains without going FI, but you can still get a good 10-15% with the correct breathing mods. I'm almost certain that a stock zed will take a stock 645 on most tracks in the UK. Those with long straights like Silverstone will be different because the BMW V8 will stretch its legs and can easily take a couple of seconds off the Zeds time on a big straight.

Buy the car, they're great right out of the box. Of course everything can be improved and no matter how good your car is, there will always be something better, but for 5-7k, there is no better all rounder.

• Like 1

If these cars are gt cars why do some maybe people use them for drift bases, and the sort?

Think of something else made in the last 10 years thats RWD, reasonably powerful and has an LSD as standard.

Now discount the BMW M cars as they are too expensive to go driving into walls and other cars, and youre left with the 350Z. :lol: