Is this a sensible target?

overlord93

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a 2004 350z, but I don't want to leave it stock, my aim is to create a little more launch, less 0-60 really, not too fussed about over 80 odd. I'm no expert when it comes to tuning, is it possible to get a sub 5.4 second 0-60 time (645ci time) without a supercharge or turbo. What sort of component should I be looking into? Lightweight flywheels, suspension, remaps, plenum chamber, intakes, wider tires, cat back, I looked at Horsham developments their too far from me :)

Cheers guys!!

Your not gonna get that from just bolt ons and a remap. As you suggested, lightweight flywheel will help and as much weight loss as possible.

You'll need very good traction, so wide sticky rubber and a diff will go a long way.

Or just go FI :lol:

I havent done it. But opinions are based on other peoples comments and findings. but check out the US forums for specific drag times, they are mad for it.

but, make it faster for free - remove anything that your car doesnt need to carry for a drag race. speakers, seats, the lot.

i did some research a while ago, and my number may be wrong. but im sure fully stripped Z's still weigh 1400kg on the weighbridge.

If you want to tune, its all about wallet size. because its a 6 cylinder car, costs for things like cams, pistons, headwork etc, add 50% on top of your usual in-line 4 tuning costs.

The guys here leave N/A and go boost for hp/£

thats a very specific 0-60 time your looking at.

got a friend your trying to beat?

If you're after a genuine, real-world 0-60 of sub 5.5s then no chance. The only way to get close to that is to destroy the drivetrain on a launch. I've only ever tried 0-60 on one car, my old VXR220, which was tuned to 260bhp and 280ft/lbs and weighed 850kg. Not slow by any figure of the imagination, and the book time was just 4.2s. Even being as brutal as I dared with minimum wheel slip, I never saw below 5s. Unless you're in a car with launch control, it's just a bad idea to assume that 0-60 is a good way of measuring performance.

That said, and this comes from someone who once had a 350Z and now owns a 645Ci, I'm telling you that a 350 is already quicker to 60mph than the BMW. Get past 80mph and the 645 is quicker, but for launches the Nissan is definitely faster. In-gear acceleration is better with the V8 than the V6, but the 350 can actually take corners so swings and roundabouts.

What I think you actually want is just to improve launches and in-gear acceleration. For that, the biggest difference is going to be a set of decent tyres (like 888s) and a lightweight flywheel. After that, you want to reduce unsprung mass too so lightweight wheels and brakes (as in two-piece discs) will help improve forward momentum. Then, as has been said above, just reducing the weight in general will help. Once you've done all that, you should then start thinking about power increases.

All IMHO, YMMV etc.

• Like 1

As above, I wouldn't bother too much looking at 0-60 times advertised on autotrader etc. and comparing across cars when you are talking tenths of a second. Sit there with a stop watch and try time 3/10ths of a second yourself and you will see how little time it is and imagine a car doing 60mph the difference is so minimal its just not worth buying one car over another simply because it on paper edges it by a couple of tenths.

I would go out, drive both, and buy what grabs you - if you got in a 350z and couldnt stand the interior, the seats or the tape deck(!) would a couple of tenths of a second on paper matter that much compared to a 645Ci?

Assuming you are not drag racing of course, if this is just for the road...

Edited by coldel

if you're looking for pure 0-60 times at the expense of all else, you're definitely looking at the wrong types of car - both a 350z (and a 645ci) will be doing their best work well over legal speeds. Yes, they could put together a reasonable 0-60 time if really pushed, but that's only a by product of so much torque - no-one would actually do a 0-60 in them because you have to abuse the drivetrain so much. they're long distance cruisers, where torque is very useful as it makes for relaxed cruising.

if you want a decent 0-60 car you need lightweight over all else - or maybe the mother of all impreza turbos with a weapons grade clutch and sticky tyres - 5000rpm and sidestep the clutch should do it.

Thanks for the insight guys! Maybe I'm measuring this in the wrong way. What I'm looking for a that feeling of acceleration the pin you back feeling I assume a measure for this would be 0-60. The comparison of the 645ci is because I was going to get one, but having a BMW before I've been put off by the electrics and the problems. I guess I'm looking for a 'lively' car. This all came about after I had a go in my mates JCW mini s, but refuse to get a mini! If the case is that I need to doing supporting modifications first like drive trains, clutch then so be it, I'd rather have a solid car from the start!

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a 2004 350z, but I don't want to leave it stock, my aim is to create a little more launch, less 0-60 really, not too fussed about over 80 odd. I'm no expert when it comes to tuning, is it possible to get a sub 5.4 second 0-60 time (645ci time) without a supercharge or turbo. What sort of component should I be looking into? Lightweight flywheels, suspension, remaps, plenum chamber, intakes, wider tires, cat back, I looked at Horsham developments their too far from me :)

Cheers guys!!

Just change the final drive gearing, add some wide sticky tyres and your sorted. ;)

• Like 1

ah I see what you mean - yes 0-60 can be good, but a better measure would be something like 50-80 in third gear - the standard A road overtaking move.

I reckon for the 'pin you back' feeling you need a turbo - nothing beats the feeling of turbos spooling and providing boost. a characteristic of the zed (and I suspect a 645ci) is a very linear feeling of acceleration. don't get me wrong 260lbft of torque works very nicely when accelerating on a motorway, but nothing beats the kick in the back feeling like a good turbo.

considered a 2005-ish era Subaru Impreza turbo? decent kick from the turbo, and 4wd launchability?

Then (and god forgive me for suggesting a FWD car) you might want to think about a Focus ST, or a Seat Leon, or a Golf GTi. Anything with a slightly tuned turbo engine is going to give you that punch you're after, nothing NA will: Comparing my trackpig turbo MR2 to a 458, the punch is greater in the Toyota. Obviously it's not as quick as the 458, but the sensation is greater due to the turbo.

Have you tried insurance on an Impreza? Shouldn't be much more than a Zed, really. Or even a VXT would be a good shout, if you can live with driving around in something not finished.

Just change the final drive gearing, add some wide sticky tyres and your sorted. ;)

14 replies and only one mention of gearing, poor show lads ;)

Ricky is right, swap the final drive (easiest way is either changing the crownwheel of the diff or the whole damn thing) for something shorter and be amazed, at one time I had a 2 cars running SR20's in the same chassis, one was 270hp and one was 400hp ......... but the 270hp was at least as quick to 70 as it was running a 3.9 (or shorter, we never found out) diff as opposed to the 4.36 in the 400hp car.

Top speed was 135 and about 175 respectively though, you dont get nothing for nothing ;)

ETA: Removing weight, lightweight flywheel, sticky tyres and remaps will all also help but you ont get the same acceleration gain you would with changign the final drive :)

Edited by docwra

Well down the line I'd like to supercharge it, and strip it, but for now as it will be work car, I can only do so much, 350z is around 800 pounds a year for me, scoobies are 2000!

So what is recommended is address the flywheel, intakes, exhaust systems, etc?

Where can I find these final drives?

Thanks

14 replies and only one mention of gearing, poor show lads ;)

Cough, Cough...Post three. ;)

That is what I meant by Diff. Should have said final drive really.

Your not gonna get that from just bolt ons and a remap. As you suggested, lightweight flywheel will help and as much weight loss as possible.

You'll need very good traction, so wide sticky rubber and a diff will go a long way.

Or just go FI :lol:

I refuse to go FWD! It's unnatural! Engine at front, gearbox and rwd! Though I'd of thought a 350z would beat an VXR?

Haha excellent, this is most definitely the correct answer! extra points if you'd have insisted on a limited slip differential as well :)

an early zed will beat a VXR, but it's a close run thing - only 0.2 seconds in it. a 350z has more power, but the Astra is lighter, and more easily tuned. but as we've both said, who wants to drive a fwd hatchback? especially an astra :yuck:

Edited by brillomaster