American Car suggestions

Steely

Hi All,

I am moving to Dallas, TX in a few months and will have to sell my 350 which will break my heart as its perfect. I looked at taking it over with me but its not possible.

I am looking for ideas, I am moving with my girlfriend who fancies a mustang, I drove a hire one last year but in my opinion it wasnt very good, the automatic box seemed to take an age to respond when I put the foot down. I think this will have been a low power model though.

So I have been looking at 5l GT convertable mustangs and I really like the Dodge challenger but its not a convertable.

Cars I was considering:

370z obviously, I would like the convertable but the boot space is whats putting me off.

Mustang Convertable (possibly manual if I can convince my girlfriend)

Dodge, Challenger

Any Suggestions?

Not sure I'd get a convertible in Dallas, with the heat. You'd spend more time with the roof up just for comfort!

What's the budget? Personally, I'd get two vehicles so an older truck or minivan for the dull stuff, then something like a Miata or MR2 Spyder for the fun things. You'll get the V8 in the truck, and you'll have something nimble but different to the usual Yank fare with the latter.

• Like 1

Ekona is correct - you dont want a convertible. I've been to Texas 4 or 5 times and i dont recall seeing many convertibles. Also, consider getting a car without leather as you will constantly be burning your legs/arms on the seats.

The roads are all huge wide affairs, so i wouldnt bother with a nimble car, personally. Tt would be a 4x4 or a truck for me for sure. Something like a Chevy Tahoe or Escalade. I'd then maybe pickup a cheap '06 Mustang V8 for fun. They'll be absolutely peanuts.

...actually as I write this im in upstate New York right now.

On TV over here the adverts for leasing cars are crazy - i really wish we had the yank model in the UK.

All the cars seem to be '$269 down and $269 per month' to drive the latest 2015 models. I'd be getting straight on something like that.

Oh, and i filled up my Dad's Lexus over here the other day, and a full tank cost the equivalent of £22!!

Edited by marzman
  • Like 2

Why not go Hill Billy and get a V8 pick up!! The flag ship of the south. Ford lightning? You'll get luxuries such as a Mondeo steering wheel, a Ford Taurus gear knob and a dash board from a Granada that doesn't quite fit properly and'll squeak the bejesus out of every journey.

• Like 1

Why not go Hill Billy and get a V8 pick up!! The flag ship of the south. Ford lightning? You'll get luxuries such as a Mondeo steering wheel, a Ford Taurus gear knob and a dash board from a Granada that doesn't quite fit properly and'll squeak the bejesus out of every journey.

Ford f150 are now v6 twin turbo

http://youtu.be/oSGoW_VM0rU

Cheers for that stevo :) I'm going to watch this on my late lunch break!

• Like 1

Convertible in Texas? Don't do it. You'll have heat stroke the first time you drive it.

I'd be looking at a new Mustang. Or a 300zx if I wanted old school.

Or buy something from Gas Monkey Garage!

Thanks for all the responses!

I probably should have mentioned I will get a truck with work so will have that for the dull stuff (camping hauling etc) company will prob get me a dodge v8 truck.

The point about the heat got me, I actually spend most of my time in Dubai so I know what its like in the desert but it was my understanding that texas was hot but only about half the year, when were you guys there? Had a look on bbc weather and march to June looks quite hot.

The convertable idea was also with hopes of road trips which I thought would be cool, I took my girlfriend on a road trip round europe in the zed and I actually got bitched at that she was only getting a tan on one arm and that we should have got a roadster haha.

I am thinking of spending about 30k USD max but if it was something awesome maybe a bit more.

I really like the look of the 2015 challenger posted above!

Dont think I will get another 350 as I am moving to states should get something different, I like the 370 a lot though.

Not a huge camero fan.

I will look at corvette prices, my friend had one in Dubai seemed he had a lot of hassle with it but it may have just been the poor garage service.

had to google miata lol, think the 370 is small and nimble in states :-)

Thanks for all the responses!

I've just moved back from Florida mate. Convertibles are a no go in that heat, not only do you never actually use them because you want the AC on full whack, but they fade really really fast. I was drinking a Mustang GT, great car, decent gas mileage, sat around 20mpg and that's intermittent hooning, also, it's based on a US Gal so it's actually more than that if you convert to a IMP Gal.

If you're out there for a long time, buy new, if not, buy used. The depreciation of new cars is worse out there than over here, and you can pick up a bargain if you get a couple of years old.

If you really really want to have fun though, and you have a decent wedge, Corvette C7. You can get a bottom line for about $60K, and if you do come back to the UK, as long as you've been gone for 12 months and owned the car for 6... No import tax.

That is a really good point about bringing it back to the UK I never though about that. I will likely be there for good but you never know.

Did you have an automatic or manual Mustang?

I like the C7 coupe with removable hard roof, did the older versions have the same do you know?