What do you want from the next Z car

Level 7 Boss

Start with the 370z Nismo platform and go from there. There seems little sense in taking a step down from that.

One of the major reasons that I like the Z range is that it is one of the few cars in the bracket (with the exception of the MX5) that is still mechanical enough to enjoy when doing some spirited driving.

Sadly, the use of the 4 pot may turn me off of it...particularly when things like the F-Type will still exist with a V engine

If one ever turns up, It's gonna have to be more efficient and it's looking more and more likely it'll be the 2.0 300+hp Merc engine, although I would much prefer they lowered the displacement of the current to say 3.0 and got the best from the engine with the help of a couple of turbo chargers. Hopefully this way they could get good power and still return over 30 mpg.

• Like 1

What would make me buy a new Zed? I honestly don't know.

I'd want a revvy NA engine to at least 7.5K rpm. I'd want a simple interior with a cohesive design that is either analogue or digital, but not a mix of both. I'd want a boot that isn't compromised on space (350 had the strut bar, 370 is too shallow). I'd want simple manual 'box with no fussy electronics. I'd want 18" wheels MAX, and I'd want the weight down to below 1500kg. I'd want MPG to be closer to 30mpg than 20mpg. I'd want it to look like a Zed and not like a GT-R. I'd want more options and less standard equipment, so I can choose not to have stuff I don't want. I want it available in loud colours rather than multiple shades of silver. I'd want a long nose but with minimal overhangs. I want a fully adjustable seat and steering wheel combination using lightweight motors.

And you know the worst bit? I won't get any of that. Not one single bit. And I didn't even mention price at all. :(

• Like 1

Start with the 370z Nismo platform and go from there. There seems little sense in taking a step down from that.

Maybe you could take a step up though? ;) Its not a good chassis by any means these days, its heavy and a bit bendy.

The original Zeds were light, powerful and cheap, surely thats where they should be starting - if you could make a carbon monocoque and keep it under £30K, chuck in a 4 pot turbo, keep it simple on the inside and under 1250KG they would make a killing IMO.

Basically a GT86 with decent power is what the next Z car should be.

The original Zeds were light, powerful and cheap, surely thats where they should be starting - if you could make a carbon monocoque and keep it under £30K, chuck in a 4 pot turbo, keep it simple on the inside and under 1250KG they would make a killing IMO.

Basically a GT86 with decent power is what the next Z car should be.

I'm not so sure that would be a success, it's not like the BRZ86s are flying off the shelves (although they are more common now than they used to be).

Carbon monocoque is a good idea though, I hadn't thought of that one.

Loud, proud and shouty! Aggressive styling. Lose the 370 rubbish looking lights! Make a version that looks just as good as a roadster as it does a coupe with the roof up (if possible). Lose a bit of weight, in fact lose a fair bit.

OK I am talking aesthetics rather than mechanical but I really didnt like the 370 styling at all - all objective though.

Maybe have a straight six...

Edited by coldel

What would make me buy a new Zed? I honestly don't know.

I'd want a revvy NA engine to at least 7.5K rpm. I'd want a simple interior with a cohesive design that is either analogue or digital, but not a mix of both. I'd want a boot that isn't compromised on space (350 had the strut bar, 370 is too shallow). I'd want simple manual 'box with no fussy electronics. I'd want 18" wheels MAX, and I'd want the weight down to below 1500kg. I'd want MPG to be closer to 30mpg than 20mpg. I'd want it to look like a Zed and not like a GT-R. I'd want more options and less standard equipment, so I can choose not to have stuff I don't want. I want it available in loud colours rather than multiple shades of silver. I'd want a long nose but with minimal overhangs. I want a fully adjustable seat and steering wheel combination using lightweight motors.

And you know the worst bit? I won't get any of that. Not one single bit. And I didn't even mention price at all. :(

dont want alot then

Edited by StevoD

4 Wheel drive pleasen

Seriously? :wacko:

I couldn't think of anything less 'Z'. :yuck:

I'd want aggressive styling, Aggressive sounding, V6 or V8, RWD, Manual and 400bhp + . (unless its gonna be lighter, then 350bhp+ will do) ;)

................I wish

• Like 3

With the upcoming v8 Mustang coming in at £32,995 whatever Nissan decide on doing needs to come in either at the same price point or cheaper, the latter if they consider ditching the v6 for a turbo!

The Americans have always done cheap V8 muscle, i guess we are actually seeing it cheap for the first time though. They never did corners and a good chassis though on the most part. So unless the new Mustang is a step on in that department, i would prefer a less powerful Z that does corners.

Styling is very individual but if it looked anything like the Toyota FT1 concept its a winner for me, a bit lighter would be good, 1200 - 1300kg and i guess engine is either going to come down to emissions regs or what they are pitching it against. I am sure some time ago there was an article about the next Z being hybrid, anything but that!

What would be a new Z's "competition" is probably more the question, is it going to take on the GT86, as Ekona says, hardly been flying out the showroom, they have hardly faired well on 2nd hand prices either, which i think goes to show, enthusiasts who heralded the arrival of the Gt86 are not what the general public want.

So if when it comes out in the next few years i had the money for a new car, the only thing i have seen showcased i would like to own is the FT1 (looks alone, no mention again of price, engine), its going to have to match that for looks all being equal.

With the upcoming v8 Mustang coming in at £32,995 whatever Nissan decide on doing needs to come in either at the same price point or cheaper, the latter if they consider ditching the v6 for a turbo!

The Americans have always done cheap V8 muscle, i guess we are actually seeing it cheap for the first time though. They never did corners and a good chassis though on the most part. So unless the new Mustang is a step on in that department, i would prefer a less powerful Z that does corners.

Styling is very individual but if it looked anything like the Toyota FT1 concept its a winner for me, a bit lighter would be good, 1200 - 1300kg and i guess engine is either going to come down to emissions regs or what they are pitching it against. I am sure some time ago there was an article about the next Z being hybrid, anything but that!

What would be a new Z's "competition" is probably more the question, is it going to take on the GT86, as Ekona says, hardly been flying out the showroom, they have hardly faired well on 2nd hand prices either, which i think goes to show, enthusiasts who heralded the arrival of the Gt86 are not what the general public want.

So if when it comes out in the next few years i had the money for a new car, the only thing i have seen showcased i would like to own is the FT1 (looks alone, no mention again of price, engine), its going to have to match that for looks all being equal.

its easier/cheaper to make a fast @*!# handling car handle better

than

a slow good handling car faster

so on the basis of 435bhp over 300bhp yea ill take the Hp