The New Tesla Car Has A Button Called ‘Insane Mode’

Adrian@TORQEN

Tesla introduced its dual-motor Model S late last year, and among the many improvements it has over the original Model S is its incredible acceleration.

The standard Model S can go from 0 to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds, which is pretty fast, but the new dual-motor Model S can get there in just 3.2 seconds — "roller-coaster stuff," in other words.

That kind of acceleration is comparable to some of the world’s fastest sports cars from Lamborghini and Ferrari, and even the McLaren F1 supercar.

YouTube channel DragTimes, which tests the acceleration and top speeds of some of the fastest cars out there, created a compilation of people’s reactions while sitting in the seat of the new Tesla car as it hits “Insane Mode,†which is an actual button on the new digital console.

You can go into “Insane Mode" by coming to a complete stop and toggling a button on the digital console, which will quickly accelerate the car to 60 to 70 mph in just a few wild seconds.

• Like 1

A Tesla drove past me the other day and you can definitely hear them. It is tyre / road noise rather than engine though and is the same as any other refined petrol car (When pootling about).

I'm sure I will own an electric car one day, but oil hasn't run out yet... :)

Seen a black Tesla going towards Braehead the other month, looked good. I saw this video today and it looks brutal... but again wheres the noise? I would def love to experience a passenger ride in one but, no interest in all electric cars.

See I love petrol, ...the smell of it, the sound a combustion engine makes etc etc ...but if I could have a car that does 0-60/70mph in 3.2 seconds I don't really care if it's powered by unicorn farts or Harry Potters semen. :D

Fast is fast and that's where I get my real buzz from. :evil::drive1

• Like 2

saying tesla is a glorified prius is the same as saying the z is a glorified model T. as in the combustion engine hasn't evolved to be that different since it's caveman days. except prius to tesla is less than 20 years and 't' goes back over 100.

the current z in factory spec makes no noise as far as is my opinion.

I know the new high spec sports bmw's lead the way in the old tech we're fans of and they are so factory quiet and make their engine sounds coming from the sound system.

for a careless motorist it runs out of battery the same way the petrol car runs out of fuel.

it's fast as the best petrol sports cars at a fraction of the cost, cheaper to power. luxury features as good as it gets compared to luxury cars. or better as far as that huge control panel goes if you like tech.

So to me in that view it sounds like the future and all positive points in many ways.

i'm a huge fan. as well as that the owner of the co is the ideas man of today, contracting rockets to nasa, is looking to mars, is the guy the movie 'iron man' is based, i see a lot of good in his work. they guy so often gets told it's not possible but won't listen he makes things happen.

Edited by chips

It makes zero noise, has zero charisma, and runs out of puff FAR quicker than any petrol car ever could.

The fact that it's quick makes no odds to me, I've driven cars that quick on plenty of occasions but they've not excited me because of the speed. Give me a dirty old '60s V8 that has a 7L engine with 120bhp but bags of character over something like the Tesla.

• Like 4

If some one gives me £70k I'll have one tomorrow.....Though prices have come down, a bit, the 380bhp model is now £50k. Use to be about 10% more, with a bit less power.

Tesla still reckon they are going to announce a £30k car in 2017, but given how much the Model X is delayed I doubt we'll get a RHD driven £30k Tesla before 2020 :(

there's a new tesla, new cla45 amg, new boxster, 10ish year old sl50 amg parked outside my work at moment. i considered situation and thought - i only like the tesla out of these as it's in a different league to the rest and there's the blue gtr and the white 2013 nismo 370z i've seen a while back a few blocks away in opposite directions which are far ahead of the rest if i put them all in order.

Edited by chips

its so funny reading all these comments about no combustion=no fun because that is exactly what i've been saying! I'm a massive petrol and don't even like performance diesels. I own an m3 now and love high revving petrol engines. M power, Audi R8 etc there is no way an electric car with no noise, no exhausts, no gears could cut it for me!

I had no interest in it and was pretty meh and unexcited to drive one, until I pressed that ELECTRIC pedal! Damn! the torque on these things is amaaazing! It actually has a huge rev range that keeps climbing and climbing becuase only 1 gear! The handling feels nothing like a 2 tonne car when i was chucking corners at speeds I wont mention. The huge Brembo brakes are identical size on front and back to provide a perfect braking bias and stop this heavy car no problem without creating too much heat. The only thing I really thought could be better are the tyres as they are designed with economy in mind.

Edited by flamez