Recommend me: WHEEL WAX / PROTECTOR

Spatt

Ok, its getting to that time of year where we think about digging out the posh wheels from the attic or garage. (although the snow is still falling in most parts of the country)

Either way i need to do the spring shop and top of this list is Wheel Wax or a synthetic protector!

I'll be applying to a polished 'dishy' rim type wheel so the more gloss that better!

So come on and tell us what your using, feel free to post up pictures too.

Edited by Spatt

When I had my wheels re-furbed Nov 13, and after a bit of research, I used G-technique C5 on them. http://gtechniq.com/...c5-wheel-armour

It is pricey, but VERY good. I run the wheels all year, all weather. Until very recently I hadn't done anything else with them since other than wash them and they still look like new! The last couple of washes I've just sprayed a little quick detailer on them afterwards as the water beading from the C5 has now stopped.

So in short, if you want to put one coat of something on and it last 12-14 months then this is the stuff to use. If However you like to spend time polishing you wheels every few months/ washes, then the FK 1000P would probably be best.

I'm just deciding myself what to do this year. :)

20131109_154326_zpsd05af4d4.jpg

20131109_154133_zps5f5837ca.jpg

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 2

:boxing:

Depends what you're after really;

A cheap, effective solution = wax. Which actually means FK1000P. Will last ~3months between applications (unless you use wheel cleaners regularly) and can be used on all other painted surfaces too.

Maximum durability = coating. GTechniq C5 or Gyeon Q2 Rim for ~12months protection.

/thread.

i have looked into Gtechniq and was advised NOT to use on polished rims.. i dont use wheel cleaners regularly just hot soapy water and a wool mitt.

I have tried wheel sealant by poorboys before but found it hard work reapplying to the wheels once they are on the car.

Gyeon Rim can be used on polished surfaces. You can wax over the top of it, but there's very little point and it'll diminish the self-cleaning abilities of a coating doing so. The shine will come from the polishing beforehand, but Rim does add extra glossiness itself.

Carbon Collective is C5 too, by the way. ;)

Yes, Platinum Wheels, Platinum Glass and the old Platinum Paint are just rebranded - not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but it means the products have the same flaws.

I believe that Oracle (replaced Platinum Paint) is different/modified/made to their (his) own specification though.

Poorboys wheel sealant is what I use. A few coats last ages and my wheels still look pretty good after 2 years daily driven in all weather.

Good to know as I just got that stuff for my new wheels lol :thumbs:

+1 for Poorboys wheel sealant from me, once you've put a few layers on you barely need to touch the wheels and the dirt comes off!

You get loads in a tub too and its not expensive

Edited by Durk

What's there? Looks like too much to read..I'm lazy :lol:

:lol:

A test showing Poorboys lasting less than 4 weeks whilst FK1000P lasting 10 weeks... before I accidentally killed it with fallout remover. :surrender:

My argument here is that they say you need to use more than one coat of Poorboys for best results, but FK1000P does only need the one :boxing:

In reality, I may have to give this FK1000P a try :surrender:

My argument here is that they say you need to use more than one coat of Poorboys for best results, but FK1000P does only need the one :boxing:

In reality, I may have to give this FK1000P a try :surrender:

My counter-argument is that you can get about 6 weeks out of 3 layers of Poorboys to the 10 from 1 layer of FK. ;)

To be quite honest Poorboys isn't a bad product at all, if you don't mind topping it up every month or so then it certainly has it's place. It's just that there are better products available these days - more so when one of the requirements is longer durability. If you've got Poorboys and you're happy with it, just use that until it needs to be replaced and then maybe consider something else but in this case it doesn't fit Spatt's requirements at all (neither does FK though, to be fair).

FK is quite versatile though, so it saves needing 2 or 3 products for 2 or 3 jobs... unless you're like me with my addiction to buying detailing stuff, then you end up with 4 or 5 products for 1 job. :lol: That's also a moot point if you've already got those 2 or 3 products of course.

what else do you use FK for ?

It's great for the exhaust once it's polished up and it's good on paintwork too if you like the "sealant look".

The size of the tin, it can even be handy around the house too. Even my jack, axle stands and tool box have a coat of FK on. :lol:

• Like 1

what else do you use FK for ?

It's great for the exhaust once it's polished up and it's good on paintwork too if you like the "sealant look".

The size of the tin, it can even be handy around the house too. Even my jack, axle stands and tool box have a coat of FK on. :lol:

And it's got a shark on the tin. A shark.

• Like 3