350z Handling predictability

euphio

In the 4 and a half years I've owned my zed it's always felt planted and safe on the road, better than other rwd cars I've had . It's heavy so I guess that's why it's hard to get it out of shape .

Driving in the snow has never been a problem as I can't even reverse it off my drive with the slightest sign of it :lol:

• Like 1

I am relatively new to the zed having owned it a few months and came from a small FWD car with less than half the power. I have had no issues with driving and never felt close to loosing control.

The only time I have seen the traction control light flash was pulling out of a T junction in the wet with a bit too much right foot not long after I got it. So as others have said you'll be fine driving it as you would any other car, just be a bit mindful in the wet. Even then the traction control keeps things in order

aye, trying to guide an old E36 328i round a sopping wet Bedford Autodrome on budget, mismatched tyres and no traction control takes some doing!

compared to that a zed with its decent tyres and TCS is a walk in the park :lol:

Edited by brillomaster
  • Like 1

I also do not think you will have any problems with the questions you have asked.

However, I would add, I think the car better handles in a slightly higher gear than I would otherwise have initially thought.

Re - Additional Driving Courses - No harm in doing these anyway, all add to your ability, confidence and enjoyment of driving.

Personally I would have everyone do 'The Advanced Drivers Course' - IAM - In the main - you will be taught to look much much much further ahead and according to conditions. - which actually allow you to drive much faster but in a safer and more controlled manner. So many brilliant tips in this course. You can tell on the road pretty much who has and has not done this course.

Skid Pan - Well why wouldn't you - Loads of Fun - whether you will ever remember any of it - the day you need it on the road though - is another thing.

More than anything you will gain the knowledge - you really have to push a car hard to loose it - again tyre dependent.

Winter tyres are a big consideration for the colder months, especially good in the wet and essential in the snow - or for the latter - just get a lift or a taxi !!!

Perhaps for now - go find yourself an empty car park when wet and from standstill gently accelerate off. Continue to do this until you get some wheel spin or not. Will give you a good indication of how much wellie you can give the car before it wants to let go.

Most of all drive it lots, best thing for giving you the confidence. Enjoy !!

Don't drive it like you stole it and you will be fine. Until you get used to the car, leave traction control on and only floor it on straights. My previous car was a 95 bhp fwd hatch and I had exactly zero trouble with the zed. Not once it tried to kill be.

Traction control on the zed is good and will catch you even if you do misjudge the throttle.

You will be fine.

It's a sensible question to ask though.

Some people have loads of money and no sense or driving skill at all.

TC is your friend.

Love the way he drives off like nothing has happened, but facing oncoming traffic :)

Edited by Kev

I remember a friend had a 350z several years ago and his one was used to slide around unprovoked most of the time, looking back I'm sure it was due to a couple of things.

Decent tyres (imho Michelin Pilot Super Sport suit the car, anything but Bridgestone in my experience), & correct pressure.

Suspension bushing condition.

Have fun and enjoy !

As others have said the Zed is really a very stable and planted car. I find it easy to drive and rewarding to drive quickly. The Mrs went from S reg 1L micra to the Zed and never killed herself.

TBH when we first got it it was cold wet and the tyres were terrible, had a couple of traction control moments back then at roundabouts etc but now on MPSS with the 4 wheel alignment and winter tyres in the cold I cant remember the last time TCS came on even pushing the car.

Drive sensible and the Zed will look after you.

Ed

I'd say be a touch careful on overtakes. It's the only situation where you tend to boot it and turn at the same time (across white lines or the grit in the middle of the road too). Traction control saves the day in that case.

Good point. I did have one hairy moment when I first bought the car due to over taking in the rain on the motorway. Booted it in third and the back end stepped out and snapped out the other way when counter steering it.

Completely my own fault and my lesson was learnt quickly.

there name as the most deadly car in the USA but thats down to illegal street racing and people getting them as first cars at 16

Or watching repeats of fast and furious :yawn:

Rob

You better not be yawning at fast and furious.

Yep

Rob

Its a very good rwd car to start off in imo. Ive had less and more powerful rwd cars and this is by far the easiest to get to grips with. A few months an you will be trying to get little slips from the back end. Eventually you will be comfortably driving it quickly around bends in the wet. Aslong as you dont floor it everywhere straight from the off you will be just fine.

I like the Zeds predictability, makes it brilliant to drive. I have the TC off at all times because I find it a little intrusive but like others have said just drive it normally and you'll be fine. I came from a Fiesta ST :)

Im with this - its more planted at the back than many a RWD car (Ive got a 200SX, E36 and E82 BMW's atm and they all break away much more easily) and when it does go youve got time to roll a ciggy and have a read of the paper before you have to do anything about it. Not sure about country vicar TBH, decent tyres and alignment might be worth looking into if its that bad.

Show it a bit of respect in the wet, dont turn TC off until you are totally comfortable with it and youll be fine :)

• Like 1